Unexpected Service Issues on the Crown Princess & where we found them - Photo Review

WinksCruises

We weren't too far back in the line because we got there so early, but the line just stood completely still for about 2 hours so it didn't matter! I was told it was customs' fault not Princess. I'm going to try and avoid the Ft. Lauderdale port in the future, and have an intense dislike of customs after this experience.

If you want to avoid a similar embarkation fiasco at Port Everglades, just ensure that you are not departing on a ship that has just returned to the US. The Crown Princess had been cruising South America all winter. The Coast Guard and CBP routinely schedule additional inspections on some returning vessels and embarkation delays are often reported here on cruise critic. I think sometimes Princess (and other cruise lines) know of an inspection in advance and sends out notice of delayed boarding (and that irritates some passengers) and sometimes the inspections are a 'surprise' (and that results in even more irritated passengers). I would think that a general caution (boarding may be delayed due to US government inspections) in all cases of a ship returning to the US would be helpful.

Because of the PVSA, all ships are technically returning to the US.. That said, to clarify what I think you meant was to be aware that ships that have an extended deployment outside the US are more likely to experience inspection related delays.

Nothing will prepare for an actual surprise inspection...

If you want to avoid a similar embarkation fiasco at Port Everglades, just ensure that you are not departing on a ship that has just returned to the US. The Crown Princess had been cruising South America all winter. The Coast Guard and CBP routinely schedule additional inspections on some returning vessels and embarkation delays are often reported here on cruise critic. I think sometimes Princess (and other cruise lines) know of an inspection in advance and sends out notice of delayed boarding (and that irritates some passengers) and sometimes the inspections are a 'surprise' (and that results in even more irritated passengers). I would think that a general caution (boarding may be delayed due to US government inspections) in all cases of a ship returning to the US would be helpful.

Last November, the ship was repostitioning from Can/NE when a lot of cases of Noro came out on the way to Ft Lauderdale. We were notified by text the day before about delayed embarkation. Do not come to the terminal before 1pm as it will not be accepting passengers. Hmm. Our check out time at the hotel was 11 and we were expecting to "hang out' for a couple of hours before heading to the pier. As we were checking out a shuttle driver approached us and asked us if we were going to the pier, we said yes, but we were sailing Princess and were advised not to come before 1pm, he said the terminal was open and he had just dropped people there, so we went, and breezed right through. Although that was the one time, all other times we stood in that line outside, once we had a BVE scheduled, and no one at the terminal knew anything about it, so we stood in this ridiculous line past the time for the BVE, which is another story. I spoke with a woman on board, who said her husband was taking cancer treatments, and booked this cruise as a get away from doctors and appointment, this was their first Princess cruise and they waited....stood in that line for almost two hours, how he suffered standing there. She said this was their last Princess cruise. I felt so sorry for her and others who can't stand for extended periods of time

I thought it a little over the top also but then again I don't change clothes 6 time a day either. :D

What Winks failed to mention was that we also spent 3 days prior to the cruise visiting my sister and her family....so essentially we packed for an 8 day vacation. Do you have any idea how many pairs I shoes I need for 8 days???? ;)

what winks failed to mention was that we also spent 3 days prior to the cruise visiting my sister and her family....so essentially we packed for an 8 day vacation. Do you have any idea how many pairs i shoes i need for 8 days???? ;)

I would guess around 2. :D

Following your review.

Am now on the Crown.

We also had dinner at the Crown Grille. Unlike before where you can order any steak and lobster, there is now a limit of only one main course, and any additional has a charge of $10.

We ate in the CG on the Ruby 2 weeks ago with no such fee when we all ordered extra steak and lobster. :confused:

Since you were in a suite weren't you able to take advantage of Club Dining and a free Speciality Dining visit?

Good points. But what did Agent 86, Maxwell Smart, always used to quip? "I missed it by THAAAT much!"

Unfortunately for us, Club Class Dining hadn't yet been rolled out on Crown Princess (it's scheduled to start on the April 8th sailing, actually) and free Specialty Restaurant Dining (available to Suite Guests on the voyage's first night) is only offered on 7-day or longer itineraries. So, yet another drawback of our short, 5-day one. Sucks to be a Winks!

Edited by WinksCruises

I thought it a little over the top also but then again I don't change clothes 6 time a day either. :D

Well, to be honest, it's probably down to 3 outfit changes a day (seeing as we have that free laundry service, and all).

But you guys obviously haven't seen how we typically pack...

01-3%20Packed.jpg

What Winks failed to mention was that we also spent 3 days prior to the cruise visiting my sister and her family....so essentially we packed for an 8 day vacation. Do you have any idea how many pairs I shoes I need for 8 days???? ;)

Reminds me of the "good ole days" when you could pack several suitcases to the brim when flying. My Dad and I went to Germany in 1993 and I took one big suitcase packed FULL of shoes. Hey, we were staying there 2 weeks and I needed different shoes with each different outfit, which were several per day!

[quote name=

Oh, I forgot to add, at the Crown Grill, we were over fed with the TWO spoons of mashed potatoes and spinach with our entrees, did they cut back on the family style sides too?[/quote]

We always ask for extra portions if we receive a sparse amount and have always been accommodated.

On the Grand (10/6/16) our waiter brought us a generous 4 then spears of asparagus lol so we immediately requested additional and he brought us like 20 more. On the Regal we didn't have to ask for extra as we received substantial portions (3/5/17 cruise)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great review. We were on the Crown for the 33 day cruise that ended in Fort Lauderdale on March 20. Disembarkation was delayed a bit - Princess told us that because some guests brought food off the ship the custom officials were inspecting all luggage which was delaying things. But when we did get off the ship we were able to find our luggage and pass customs all in a few minutes thanks to the mobile passport app which we used and which allowed us to bypass all the long lines.

Following your review.

Am now on the Crown.

We also had dinner at the Crown Grille. Unlike before where you can order any steak and lobster, there is now a limit of only one main course, and any additional has a charge of $10.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We were on the 15day Hawaiian cruise on the Star last week, and there was no additional charge for adding lobster to our steak meals.

We always ask for extra portions if we receive a sparse amount and have always been accommodated.

On the Grand (10/6/16) our waiter brought us a generous 4 then spears of asparagus lol so we immediately requested additional and he brought us like 20 more. On the Regal we didn't have to ask for extra as we received substantial portions (3/5/17 cruise)

We thought the side were the perfect size. We were so stuffed anyway.

If you want more just ask.

They are just trying to cut down on waste.

By the time we could flag down the server, we were done with our meal

I see you've learned the fine art of packing for a cruise.

However, you forgot your 'pirate deterrents' - 10" bowie knife, a 9mm Glock and a couple of boxes of hollow points. :cool:

Our Sabatini server basically told us to order everything on the menu. In the end we had:

3 appetizers

2 first courses

3 main courses

3 desserts

Food coma ensued for the rest of the cruise. That was the embarkation night dinner. :')