Roll calls- ours is a ghost town!

Why do you think it is that some cruises have very active roll calls and others are dead? Our upcoming cruise is sold out, and you can hear the crickets in our RC. Other cruise roll calls have been very lively.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the same feeling. The cruise prior to ours is very active and the one after us is also active. For a while, I was real concern that it might be an empty ship. But cabin categories with the exception of suites are ALL SOLD OUT!

Why do you think it is that some cruises have very active roll calls and others are dead? Our upcoming cruise is sold out, and you can hear the crickets in our RC. Other cruise roll calls have been very lively.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all depends on the participants and their cruising experience. You will find individuals who love to organize events like slot pulls, cabin crawls, etc. That helps to get people involved.

I find the longer the cruise, the more ports there are, the more sea days there are and the more unusual the cruise, the more participants seem to chat on roll calls. Transatlantic and repositioning cruises seem to have chatty roll calls. Sometimes people wait till closer to the cruise to chat.

I agree, activity planners get things going too.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk

I have been on some cruises lately where the activity had moved to that other social media site (not allowed to refer to it here), which many people are in the habit of using more than this site. Based on my 15 years of experience with CC, I have also seen a fall-off in the number of new posters generally. People can easily find other sources of information, and don't necessarily cruise for the social experience.

Not meaning to be rude (and I know that some people won't see themselves here) I also don't bother to post anymore when people take over the board. Why should I even bother if X will jump on every single posting immediately so that X can welcome everyone, be the "organizer," know-it-all, social host etc? This certainly doesn't happen with every roll call, but it seems to be a more and more frequent experience in my 15 years of familiarity with CC.

Edited by Truluv

Length of cruise and type. Our recent experience has been that the more unique the itinerary, and/or the longer the cruise, the more active the roll call.

Bob - think you must be right about that. We are doing two 7-day European cruises on Jewel this summer. While for us it's a 14-day cruise, for most it is only 7 days. The roll calls for both legs are almost non-existent.

And, you are closing in on that 100,000 mark at warp speed! Thank you for being a gentlemanly and knowledgeable source on Cruise Critic.

Pat

Bob - think you must be right about that. We are doing two 7-day European cruises on Jewel this summer. While for us it's a 14-day cruise, for most it is only 7 days. The roll calls for both legs are almost non-existent.

And, you are closing in on that 100,000 mark at warp speed! Thank you for being a gentlemanly and knowledgeable source on Cruise Critic.

Pat

Thanks for the kind words.

Even active Roll Calls will take time off, if many booked over a year out. Our July Liberty sailing has maybe 45 people and no more then 4 post on it. Granted it has a lot of family members and friends to celebrate a couples Anniversary but no reason others can't chat. With only the 4 of us chatting, there isn't much to chat about. Our August sailing is on page 2 but several are on upcoming cruises or have just gotten back from on so we were quiet for a while.

We are on two upcoming (one next month, the Harmony) cruises. The second is over a year off, is 26 days, and on another cruise line. I am on the rollcalls for both.

The one on the Harmony was pretty much "overtaken" by people who are bringing their children and filled with posts about when the CHILDREN could meet up and possibly get acquainted. Another group has been going on and on about the staff in the suites and how they cannot wait to see them again. There are no cabin crawls, no slot pulls, not much of anything. It is interesting to watch and the amount of "overplanning" is remarkable, especially when one knows that a lot of that "planning" is going to get dumped over the side before the ship even clears the Port Everglades breakwater.

The farther out Med and TransAtlantic combo has few participants at the moment but this is on a vessel which is MUCH more "upscale" than any RCCL ship and will have a far more mature, age-wise, clientele. The whole "tone" is different; notice I did NOT say "better" (or "worse"). Participation will pick up as the date comes closer but probably about 6 months out when some of the staterooms' final payments come due.

Not meaning to be rude (and I know that some people won't see themselves here) I also don't bother to post anymore when people take over the board. Why should I even bother if X will jump on every single posting immediately so that X can welcome everyone, be the "organizer," know-it-all, social host etc? This certainly doesn't happen with every roll call, but it seems to be a more and more frequent experience in my 15 years of familiarity with CC.

You're so right. I have a few cruises booked but haven't posted on any of them. I had a bad experience on one roll call, where the organizer tracked me down, about an activity I had signed up for. It wasn't a tour or anything, just a shipboard activity. I felt like I was being stalked. I haven't joined a roll call since. Some people take this roll call thing far too seriously. It's just a cruise, for pete's sake.:o

I have the same feeling. The cruise prior to ours is very active and the one after us is also active. For a while, I was real concern that it might be an empty ship. But cabin categories with the exception of suites are ALL SOLD OUT!

Maybe all sold to people not on Cruise Critic. That would be odd....unless they were all related somehow....Oh nooooooooo - Charter Alert!