Princess Pacific World Cruise general questions

pashka

Hello, This will be my 2nd cruise and will be almost 4 months. I have a few questions regarding being on a boat for this long.

1. Can you bring alcohol onto the boat during ports?

Considering of buying an alcohol package but it will be $7,400.00 ($67S a day with the grad). Includes special coffee, alcohol and soda. Is this price worth 4 months? I am considering of "sharing" it with the person I am going. We cannot afford 14k just for alcohol. Therefore are we allowed to bring alcohol onto port?

2. Can you bring food outside of the buffet? Take some snacks, or sandwiches to the room, or a snack bag if going on a tour? Is this frowned upon ?

3. Room: can I request more pillows and towels? Im shy asking for more than what is given in the room. Or bring my own ? Do I need to tip for this service?

TV: is there outlet on the tv for output for HDMI? Id like to bring my laptop to watch movies on and maybe a gaming console.

Can I bring a small kettle/tea maker for the room if I want to boil hot water since I drink tea often?

Lastly, How does tipping work, due to the length of the cruise 111 days. Do I tip weekly room service, do I tip the servers during the buffet or the dinner table? I understand on tipping at salons, a la cartes, spa, tours, and at bars. But during a 4 month stay how would this process work?

--- Unrelated, any advise or suggestions for a 3-4 month cruise would be greatly appreciated on money exchange, tours, things to do on board, etc. Has anyone done a long cruise and how was your experience?

Hello, This will be my 2nd cruise and will be almost 4 months. I have a few questions regarding being on a boat for this long.

1. Can you bring alcohol onto the boat during ports?

Considering of buying an alcohol package but it will be $7,400.00 ($67S a day with the grad). Includes special coffee, alcohol and soda. Is this price worth 4 months? I am considering of "sharing" it with the person I am going. We cannot afford 14k just for alcohol. Therefore are we allowed to bring alcohol onto port?

You cannot share the all inclusive beverage package, it's per person.

In ports there may be a table set up at the gangway to take any alcohol as technically it's prohibited to bring onboard.

You can try but it may be taken and held until the end of the cruise.

2. Can you bring food outside of the buffet? Take some snacks, or sandwiches to the room, or a snack bag if going on a tour? Is this frowned upon ?

Yes to the cabin however no food is to be taken off the ship. If it's a sealed pre packaged item then yes.

3. Room: can I request more pillows and towels? Im shy asking for more than what is given in the room. Or bring my own ? Do I need to tip for this service?

Yes just ask your room steward. The Steward is covered in the auto tips. If you feel he/she does extra things for you and goes above and beyond the norm then you can tip at the end of the cruise or during the cruise if you want.

TV: is there outlet on the tv for output for HDMI? Id like to bring my laptop to watch movies on and maybe a gaming console.

Can I bring a small kettle/tea maker for the room if I want to boil hot water since I drink tea often?

No they are prohibited. Just call room service, its free.

Lastly, How does tipping work, due to the length of the cruise 111 days. Do I tip weekly room service, do I tip the servers during the buffet or the dinner table? I understand on tipping at salons, a la cartes, spa, tours, and at bars. But during a 4 month stay how would this process work?

Gratuities are added automatically every day to your account so you don't need to do anything. Depending on the cabin it's $13.50 to $16.50 per day per person. The Princess website explains this.

HOW DO GRATUITIES WORK?

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges and dining room wine accounts.--- Unrelated, any advise or suggestions for a 3-4 month cruise would be greatly appreciated on money exchange, tours, things to do on board, etc. Has anyone done a long cruise and how was your experience?

--- Unrelated, any advise or suggestions for a 3-4 month cruise would be greatly appreciated on money exchange, tours, things to do on board, etc. Has anyone done a long cruise and how was your experience?

Exchange $$ onshore at a competitive $$$ exchange. Exchanging onboard can get expensive due to unfavorable exchange rates and added fees.

See above in red.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

If you can afford a world cruise of 4 months, surely you can afford the booze charge.

"afford" vs what is being put on a LOC for a family member isn't the same. This is their wish and I will be going with them. I don't need a snarky remark as your comment did not answer any of my questions.

Edited by pashka

AIBP - You definitely cannot just ask for a drink and hand it off to another person. However I didn't run into any issues with the wife taking a sip or two out of my drink, then going back to the bar 5 to 10 minutes later for another drink.

Or ask Princess to re-fare your reservation if they do the Sip & Sail promotion again.

Here's the link to the World Cruise brochure: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/overview-flyers-2015/us-2015/us-world-cruise-15-overview.pdf

See page 2 "Special World Cruise Benefits".

You don't pay gratuities...it's built into the fare.

BTW: You'll LOVE the Pacific Princess!! By the end of the cruise, everyone will know your name. :D

AIBP - You definitely cannot just ask for a drink and hand it off to another person. However I didn't run into any issues with the wife taking a sip or two out of my drink, then going back to the bar 5 to 10 minutes later for another drink.

Or ask Princess to re-fare your reservation if they do the Sip & Sail promotion again.

Thank you for your response.

We are not heavy drinkers, I think it's more cost efficient to purchase an alcohol package on a 1-2 week cruise.

We are not heavy drinkers, I think it's more cost efficient to purchase an alcohol package on a 1-2 week cruise.

It may be but sharing and worrying everyday that you may get caught would not be my idea of relaxation.

They are watching for this.

Just sayin...

I think it would be cheaper in the long run to just pay for drinks as you go.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I say keep an eye out for the Sip & Sail promo if Princess brings it back and your cruise is eligible. Just call Princess to rebook your reservation with the S&S promo if the fare difference is acceptable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

To get your 'money's worth' from an AIBP for 111 days, you'd probably end up with cirrhosis of the liver. ;)

Although you cannot share the drinks from the AIBP, the AIBP also allows you to purchase bottles of wine at 40% off - and you can share or give these purchased bottles away. If one of you drinks liquor and the other one drinks primarily wine, the one who drinks liquor can purchase the package and get drinks using the package. Then purchase bottles of wine at 40% off for the other person. The person with the AIBP purchasing the bottle of wine doesn't even have to drink any of it; he or she can order wine by the glass under the AIBP and let the other person drink the entire bottle.

Please don't try to share the drinks under the AIBP. In addition to the penalties if you get caught, you are hurting the rest of us. Unlike some other lines, Princess no longer requires all adults in the cabin to purchase the AIBP if one does. If they find very many people "sharing", then they will probably change that policy, and that will hurt the rest of us. As a practical matter, you might be able to get away with some "sharing" on a short cruise.- but do you really think you could do it for four months without someone noticing?

Here's the link to the World Cruise brochure: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/overview-flyers-2015/us-2015/us-world-cruise-15-overview.pdf

See page 2 "Special World Cruise Benefits".

You don't pay gratuities...it's built into the fare.

BTW: You'll LOVE the Pacific Princess!! By the end of the cruise, everyone will know your name. :D

Thank you, booked marked the file. We have received credit on board, but as for the complimentary grat did not apply in on this tour. Will keep an eye out for further deals and promotions.

The bartenders know this goes on all the time and never do much about it....and that's for the people who do it openly.

Be a little discreet & you'll be fine.

Unrelated, any advise or suggestions for a 3-4 month cruise would be greatly appreciated on money exchange, tours, things to do on board, etc. Has anyone done a long cruise and how was your experience?

If you have Chase's best CC, there is no charge for money exchange.

The bartenders know this goes on all the time and never do much about it....and that's for the people who do it openly.

Be a little discreet & you'll be fine.

On a world cruise and a small ship like this the bartender will know you are sharing.

Bad advise to encouraging sharing

Although you cannot share the drinks from the AIBP, the AIBP also allows you to purchase bottles of wine at 40% off - and you can share or give these purchased bottles away. If one of you drinks liquor and the other one drinks primarily wine, the one who drinks liquor can purchase the package and get drinks using the package. Then purchase bottles of wine at 40% off for the other person. The person with the AIBP purchasing the bottle of wine doesn't even have to drink any of it; he or she can order wine by the glass under the AIBP and let the other person drink the entire bottle.

Please don't try to share the drinks under the AIBP. In addition to the penalties if you get caught, you are hurting the rest of us. Unlike some other lines, Princess no longer requires all adults in the cabin to purchase the AIBP if one does. If they find very many people "sharing", then they will probably change that policy, and that will hurt the rest of us. As a practical matter, you might be able to get away with some "sharing" on a short cruise.- but do you really think you could do it for four months without someone noticing?

Thank you, I noticed the AIBP has the option of purchasing wine bottles for 40% and calculated the amount if we were to use it. I do feel uncomfortable if I were to share the AIBP, due to factoring the risk of myself, my passenger and the future policies and regulations of AIBP towards other passengers.

I have decided we will pay per wine bottle every 2 weeks or so. The wine bottles are around $30/40 are pretty reasonable to enjoy while on sea.

Thank you, I noticed the AIBP has the option of purchasing wine bottles for 40% and calculated the amount if we were to use it. I do feel uncomfortable if I were to share the AIBP, due to factoring the risk of myself, my passenger and the future policies and regulations of AIBP towards other passengers.

I have decided we will pay per wine bottle every 2 weeks or so. The wine bottles are around $30/40 are pretty reasonable to enjoy while on sea.

They usually have wine packages for sale on the ship. You pay a discounted price for multiple bottles of wine under a specified list price. Check with your waiter on what is available on your cruise.

Unrelated, any advise or suggestions for a 3-4 month cruise would be greatly appreciated on money exchange, tours, things to do on board, etc. Has anyone done a long cruise and how was your experience?

If you have Chase's best CC, there is no charge for money exchange.

I've read many good things about the Chase credit card and looked at their rates prior.

Unfortunately I do not reside in the USA. I don't think Chase will approve me without a social number or a PO number.

To get your 'money's worth' from an AIBP for 111 days, you'd probably end up with cirrhosis of the liver. ;)

Definitely is a worry of mine!

As I calculated ~$67 per day to get worth use of the AIBP, specialty coffees, mocktails, and sodas would be added to the daily menu. Decided to opt out the purchase and actually enjoy my drinking experience over worrying about the usefulness of the package.

As I calculated ~$67 per day to get worth use of the AIBP, specialty coffees, mocktails, and sodas would be added to the daily menu. Decided to opt out the purchase and actually enjoy my drinking experience over worrying about the usefulness of the package.

Wise.

Cruise lines love AIBPs because the vast majority of people never get their 'money's worth'; and most of those who do, end up paying more than if they didn't have the package because they wouldn't drink that much if they didn't.

People say "drink prices are comparable to those on land"... but they forget around 80% of the cost to bar on land to serve you a drink, is tax on the alcohol. Cruise lines don't pay tax on the alcohol they buy.

The Pacific has a "buy one get one for $1 " drink special twice a day.

(I think it was 4:00 - 5:00 and 10:00 -11:00 but am not positive about the times)

You can definitely share those drinks and it might be a more economical way to go than the drink package.

You can also get a coffee card for about $35 and that will get you unlimited specialty teas and brewed coffee and 15 punches for cappuccinos or lattes, etc.

Here is a thread about the HDMI inputs on the Pacific Princess TVs. I posted on here how we hooked up an iPad and iPhones to the TV.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2462287

We've done 90 to 100 days on the Pacific Princess for each of the past three years. We loved it, but I am clearly not World Cruise material. We stayed on this year for the first segment of the World Cruise and it was a very different (not bad) vibe, with an older demographic. You have to really, really, REALLY love sea days. But if you do, I can't imagine a nicer cruise experience than on the Pacific Princess.