Lobster night

mchlhaystead

FBW, I have to say as a foodie and restaurant owner, the MDR and the Steakhouse is night and day. The onion soup in the Steakhouse is by far much better than the MDR. The lobster in the MDR is a small Caribbean Spiny, Steakhouse is Maine Lobster, there is not a comparison in taste or texture. The Steakhouse uses very high temperature broilers like Morton's or Ruth's Chris. The MDR steaks are baked on a sheet pan, volume, volume, volume. I can understand if it's a time or money situation. However there is nothing to compare, and how about the to die for Lobster Bisque

FBW, I have to say as a foodie and restaurant owner, the MDR and the Steakhouse is night and day. The onion soup in the Steakhouse is by far much better than the MDR. The lobster in the MDR is a small Caribbean Spiny, Steakhouse is Maine Lobster, there is not a comparison in taste or texture. The Steakhouse uses very high temperature broilers like Morton's or Ruth's Chris. The MDR steaks are baked on a sheet pan, volume, volume, volume. I can understand if it's a time or money situation. However there is nothing to compare, and how about the to die for Lobster Bisque

I'm talking the Steakhouse selections in the MDR. The French Onion soup both times tasted the same to me. The steaks and lobster are the same as far as the upcharge items.

I'm talking the Steakhouse selections in the MDR. The French Onion soup both times tasted the same to me. The steaks and lobster are the same as far as the upcharge items.

I don't often disagree with you, but I think there are yards of difference between the French onion soup in the MDR and the SH.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't often disagree with you, but I think there are yards of difference between the French onion soup in the MDR and the SH.

more like miles, and the steaks are not cooked the same unless someone is running down 9 decks to deliver the steak

We were on the Spendor and had Lobster on the first elegant night on March 4. The lobster were an ok size but two of the four were undercooked. The only real dish fail on our cruise. We had the fillet in both the steak house and in the mdr for $20. Both were identical and perfect medium rare.

Is lobster served in the Steakhouse? Can you get it in the MDR by paying the upcharge??

Karen

Can you get in MDR? in short yes for an up charge. However, going to the steak house is part of the experience in IMHO. Not that you do not get good/great service in the MDR, but it the great MDR service on CRACK:D.

I don't often disagree with you, but I think there are yards of difference between the French onion soup in the MDR and the SH.Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can kind of agree with this. The reason why it is kind of, I do not recall on Carnival the French onion in steak house. However, Princess cruises (which is owned by Carnival) the French onion soup in the steak house/ MDR was night and day. The steak house soup was 10x better if not 100x better.

To me it was just the size. I'll give it a go one more time.

Sorry, the SH has a much richer and a totally different consistency and flavor. The MDR is more inline with what you get in regular land based restaurants..... oh there is a size difference also...

Sorry, the SH has a much richer and a totally different consistency and flavor. The MDR is more inline with what you get in regular land based restaurants..... oh there is a size difference also...

Totally agree, the soup in the steakhouse is at least 4X as much quantity wise and is much more dark, rich and filling. Because of this, I would always counterbalance by getting the very light beef carpaccio.

Since they changed the menu and eliminated the porterhouse, the monies spent at the Steakhouse (35) will instead go towards the Teppanyaki (20 for filet) and Jiji's (15) on the Horizon.

Totally agree, the soup in the steakhouse is at least 4X as much quantity wise and is much more dark, rich and filling. Because of this, I would always counterbalance by getting the very light beef carpaccio.

Since they changed the menu and eliminated the porterhouse, the monies spent at the Steakhouse (35) will instead go towards the Teppanyaki (20 for filet) and Jiji's (15) on the Horizon.

Have all 3 scheduled for our 7/3 cruise as well as the CT

I dont get the $20 charge for SH selections at all.

Just to compare: ( and you are paying more than half price for the steak)

Steakhouse: Taster from the Chef Dining Room - No

Steakhouse: Delicious Breads Dining Room - Same bread as all others

Steakouse: Butters and Dips Dining Room - same table butter

Steakhouse: Appetizer Dining Room Same appetizers from regular menu

Steakhouse: Salad Dining Room: Same salads from regular menu

Steakhouse: Steak Dining Room: Steak

Steakhouse: Choice of sauces Dining Room No

Steakhouse: Side choices Dining Room- Same as on regular menu

Steakhouse: Special Desserts Dining Room - regular menu desserts

So its paying more than half price, for ONLY the steak... not even as much as a baked potato and mushrooms, peppercorn sauce, not to mention the atmosphere and ambiance.... i dont get why anyone would pay more than half and forego everything else.

Because all I really care about is the steak itself. I don't eat salads and rarely eat a side. Chef's experiment thing - ack. I can do without. Yes the mashed potatoes in the Steakhouse are very good, but I only have a bite or 2. The desserts in the Steakhouse are meh. Cheesecake on Vista was NASTY! I'm not a big dessert person anyway. I like the MDR and if I want a better steak, I'll order it. Oh and I do get the sauce in the MDR with it. Don't know which one it is but it's super yummy. I don't want to spend 2 hours at dinner, either. As far as service, it's nothing spectacular.

So while you and others don't understand why I would pay $20 instead of $35 those are some of them. I usually do tip a little extra in the Steakhouse, so now I can have 2 filets instead of one. I don't get why I should only get 1 good steak when I can have 2. Bottom line is it doesn't matter why nor should we have to justify our feelings. There is no right or wrong. Do what makes you happy and carry on!

To sum it up, there are some people like FiremanBobswife that wishes to enjoy a filet in the MDR, pay 20 extra for it and eat. There are others like ImANewfie or myself that will pay 35 for the entire experience in the Steakhouse and dine. There is a difference. But since there is no more porterhouse, my 35 will be spent on two evenings in Jiji's and the new Teppanyaki.

We are already paying so much for the cruise itself, I just can't see spending more for the specialty restaurants and steakhouse/lobster upcharge. I never get lobster at home, so the one at MDR is already a treat, as is a nice meal with good service. I don't need a premium experience. What I don't know I'm missing won't hurt me IMHO.

You explained and totally fair explanation. The ending few lines in your comments however, are really not necessary. I didnt ask anyone to JUSTIFY their feelings... do what makes me happy .. of COURSE.. we all do.... relax, i was simply saying i dont get the $20 charge for steak in dinng room, and to that end I might add, i dont see why teh cruise ship would charge such a price, i didnt ask you or anyone else to justify... good grief do you need a cruise to chillax?

It’s not just you that was directed to it’s people in general. So many seem to have such strong opinions about things either way (I’m not totally immune myself) on why people choose to do things and spend their money. Just because one person doesn’t see a value in it doesn’t mean no one else does. You didn’t understand why I feel a certain way and others may too. Fine. It just seems like when people have differing opinions on what they like, there’s always the opposing side just waiting to disagree and pretty much call them nuts for feeling the way they do. So I ended it like that on purpose saying do what makes you (not directed specifically you) happy and don’t worry about anyone else understanding it. Just like I don’t understand people paying $35 a night every night for a meal there when to me it’s not worth it. But carry on if that’s you’re thing and I won’t try and talk anyone out of it or keep posting on why they are silly IMHO for doing it.

I do go to the Steakhouse. Very rarely but I have. Twice in all my cruises and both times were far from the spectacular experience I was expecting. The food wasn’t way superior (including the French Onion soup) besides the main course which was the same as what I could pay for $20 in the MDR. Maybe it was just those particular times on Vista and Glory. Again, I’ve only been twice so it’s a small sampling. We’re going to try it one last time this next cruise and see if the third time’s the charm. Don’t know if I’ll be back on Glory again or even Carnival for that matter so it may be the last opportunity I have.

And YES I need a cruise! It been since October since I’ve had any time off of work and I am way over due :)

Isn't it great that we all have so many options to choose from to make our cruises extra special for our own personal tastes, style and budgets! :D

You are on point!! :):)

I eat what I want on a cruise, and am not taken in by, best steak, best lobster etc.... It's not all about the food.... Agree, some food is better, but if you don't care for it, send it back and get another or something else.

What your are referring to is called an "amuse-bouche."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I’m not understanding the whole additional course thing. You get all that in the MDR too. It’s the same and you can order as many sides as you want there as well. As far as the Amuse Bouche both times I went it was an Ox Tail thing. I wouldn’t have paid $1 for it.

Yes.

Even if by chance the filet for 20 in the MDR is the same filet that you get in the Steakhouse, there are many different differences. With the filet, the broiler at the Steakhouse is different as well as your sauce choice versus getting whatever sauce in the MDR. Concerning the sides, there is no comparison between the Onion Soup in the MDR with the one in the Steakhouse as has already been stated. The Caesar salads are different, and the shrimp cocktail difference....night and day. Overall, the sides, apps, soups, salads and atmosphere are all a higher quality in the Steakhouse.

Even if by chance the filet for 20 in the MDR is the same filet that you get in the Steakhouse, there are many different differences. With the filet, the broiler at the Steakhouse is different as well as your sauce choice versus getting whatever sauce in the MDR. Concerning the sides, there is no comparison between the Onion Soup in the MDR with the one in the Steakhouse as has already been stated. The Caesar salads are different, and the shrimp cocktail difference....night and day. Overall, the sides, apps, soups, salads and atmosphere are all a higher quality in the Steakhouse.

Once again.....hmmmm!:confused:

The same truck brings the food for both the MDR/STKH to the ship? Both from Cisco usually!

Of course there could be Choice Steaks, or Regular, but I doubt you will ever get real Prime Steak in the Steak House on any ship, no matter the cruise line.:cool:

As for the sides, my FOS, is so much better, so comparing onboard servings of any side dish, are really pointless!

Once again.....hmmmm!:confused:

The same truck brings the food for both the MDR/STKH to the ship? Both from Cisco usually!

Of course there could be Choice Steaks, or Regular, but I doubt you will ever get real Prime Steak in the Steak House on any ship, no matter the cruise line.:cool:

As for the sides, my FOS, is so much better, so comparing onboard servings of any side dish, are really pointless!

Oceania features Prime/aged beef:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/polo-grill/

Oceania features Prime/aged beef:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/polo-grill/

Since this a CCL forum, thanks for your input, but it is not relevant to this forum!:confused: Even if I did say all other cruise lines, really!! You want to go there??

BTW How much extra $$ was the STKH,and or the cruise! And I still doubt you really got "Prime Beef". You only know when you tour the meat cooler and select your cut!

Edited by jwjax