Island Princess - Indoor Lounge/Seating with View?

Kartgv

We're considering a long (19 day) cruise on Island Princess. Because of some recent health issues, we look forward to some relaxing days spent lounging/reading somewhere out of the sun, with a panoramic view of the water and surrounding scenery. On other ships, areas like Skywalkers, Celebrity's Sky or Constellation Lounges, or RCI's Viking Crown Lounge, etc. are perfect, but there's no such area on the Island deck plans. Other than the Sanctuary, which we'd have to pay for each day, can anyone suggest a relaxing spot?

We're considering a long (19 day) cruise on Island Princess. Because of some recent health issues, we look forward to some relaxing days spent lounging/reading somewhere out of the sun, with a panoramic view of the water and surrounding scenery. On other ships, areas like Skywalkers, Celebrity's Sky or Constellation Lounges, or RCI's Viking Crown Lounge, etc. are perfect, but there's no such area on the Island deck plans. Other than the Sanctuary, which we'd have to pay for each day, can anyone suggest a relaxing spot?

Other than what you mentioned there aren't any.

Outside......

Promenade deck in the shade.

The library has a few very comfortable club chairs with hassocks for reading and looking out at the water. The Island has a covered pool area on Lido deck with loungers on two levels. The loungers along the sides look out the windows at the ocean. Not a whole lot of people go to the covered pool area so it's pretty easy to find a lounger.

Book a cabin with a covered balcony, or better yet splurge on a suite with a larger balcony!

We'd love to have a suite but they're sold out - we'll watch closer to final payment time. There are only a few mini's left - several forward with no balcony (didn't know these existed!) and now 2 have just opened up on Deck 9, mid-ship. Does anyone know if these are covered? Even if they are, it may be too hot (this is RT from LA>Panama Canal September 23) to sit on the balcony for very long.

Our back-up plan is the Star RT to Hawaii from Vancouver on the same date. That one's looking better all the time, especially as Elua will be on that trip.

Thanks Pam for the information on the covered pool area - that might work!

We've used the balcony level above the Lotus Pool (deck 15) when the roof is closed. There are some nooks and crannies there that we enjoy sitting in and reading. The another spot that some use is a table at the very front of the Horizon Court. It is at the bow end of the ship, not the stern like most other cruise ships and the view can be splendid (you won't be alone there). Else there is the Wheelhouse Bar and the Library. There are window seats and tables and chairs in various public areas that might meet your needs. The search for that special spot can be fun.

The library has a few very comfortable club chairs with hassocks for reading and looking out at the water. The Island has a covered pool area on Lido deck with loungers on two levels. The loungers along the sides look out the windows at the ocean. Not a whole lot of people go to the covered pool area so it's pretty easy to find a lounger.

980A04381012LotusPoolDeck14DSC01295_zpsdad4d15e.jpg

There is a perfect spot to sit on comfortable chairs inside in front of floor to ceiling Windows. Unfortunately, I didn't find it until the last two days of our cruise on the Island. On deck 8 on the opposite side of the library is the FCC office and maybe the tour office (?)....anyway, there is also an alcove with a few chairs....perfect place and mostly overlooked by everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also liked sitting in the Patisserie on deck 5. It was a nice place to grab an early morning coffee and sit in a comfy chair with a great view. And can't forget the Promenade deck. Lots of lounge chairs in the shade on either side and some were always available on our recent cruise. I too found, like someone else mentioned, the table right at the bow in the Horizons court. If we got there early for breakfast (especially before 8am), it was usually available.

I also liked sitting in the Patisserie on deck 5. It was a nice place to grab an early morning coffee and sit in a comfy chair with a great view. And can't forget the Promenade deck. Lots of lounge chairs in the shade on either side and some were always available on our recent cruise. I too found, like someone else mentioned, the table right at the bow in the Horizons court. If we got there early for breakfast (especially before 8am), it was usually available.
Those are two more good locations. The chars in the Patisserie are comfortable with an ocean view. While outside, the Promenade deck is also a good place because the deck is wide enough so that there are nice loungers rather than the chairs on the narrower Promenade deck on the Grand class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As Pam said, the Lotus Pool area is huge and covered. Roof technically can retract but we have never seen it open. Loungers on the lower level face out through a tinted glass wall (maybe 20 on a side in the first row). Inner rows are pretty much completely shaded. Unlike deck loungers, these are teak and padded with mattresses. Upstairs it is mostly smaller padded chairs. It is normally pretty quiet in there, even with the pool, a couple of hot tubs and the table tennis tables upstairs. Easy to step outside on either level for pictures since the tint interferes.

Depending on the sun position you sometimes have to move to the other side or back a row earlier in the day. And some of the loungers at the ends can get a bit windy when someone goes through the doors.

The lotus pool on the coral/island is probably one of my favorite lounge places on a cruise ship, next to the Haven on the NCL escape. There are enough options there that it should meet your needs. On a rainy day it can get a bit busy, thats about it. There are also usually some good seats on the promenade.

Just came off the Island Princess. There are comfy chairs with side tables looking out on the ocean across from the restaurants ie explorers lounge, bayou steakhouse. They were inside and fairly quiet. You could probably slip in one of the lounges and sit during the day. There are places all over the ship. Lounges outside in the shade on the perimiter decks. Plenty of spots to hide. I was on the starboard side and it was very sunny...in a suite that was covered. Portside gets a better view of going through the canal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Just to clarify the ship will not know what side of the canal they are using until they go in. If they are on the left channel, starboard has the view of operations and port the shore. If they are on the right side, port gets view of operations, etc...

Just came off the Island Princess. There are comfy chairs with side tables looking out on the ocean across from the restaurants ie explorers lounge, bayou steakhouse. They were inside and fairly quiet. You could probably slip in one of the lounges and sit during the day. There are places all over the ship. Lounges outside in the shade on the perimiter decks. Plenty of spots to hide. I was on the starboard side and it was very sunny...in a suite that was covered. Portside gets a better view of going through the canal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app