Flying to Embarkation Port Solo

BassettMom

I've booked a cruise around Japan and going solo. I've cruised solo before, so not concerned about the cruise, and I've flown domestically to get to the cruise port so have no issues doing that.

But I'm concerned about flying solo internationally since it's such a long flight. At some point, I know I'll need to go to the restroom and not sure what to do about my carry on and purse under the seat in front of me. I'll have my wallet and passport in my purse, so I'll take that with me when I leave my seat, but I'll also have all my electronics in my carry-on (laptop, camera, etc.). I'll take my purse with me of course (although that isn't easy since there just isn't a lot of room in those small toilets on the plane, but I can manage), but what about my carry-on?

What do other solo travelers do on a long flight when they need to leave their seat? Am I being paranoid for no reason (after all, it's not like anyone can do a "grab and run").

I've booked a cruise around Japan and going solo. I've cruised solo before, so not concerned about the cruise, and I've flown domestically to get to the cruise port so have no issues doing that.

But I'm concerned about flying solo internationally since it's such a long flight. At some point, I know I'll need to go to the restroom and not sure what to do about my carry on and purse under the seat in front of me. I'll have my wallet and passport in my purse, so I'll take that with me when I leave my seat, but I'll also have all my electronics in my carry-on (laptop, camera, etc.). I'll take my purse with me of course (although that isn't easy since there just isn't a lot of room in those small toilets on the plane, but I can manage), but what about my carry-on?

What do other solo travelers do on a long flight when they need to leave their seat? Am I being paranoid for no reason (after all, it's not like anyone can do a "grab and run").

I have had a few of the long solo flights through the years and have not had a problem with anything "walking off" or disappearing while I used the rest room or just walking around to stretch the legs. It is a little different as I am male and don't have to worry about the purse and billfold, but if you take that with you, you should be fine. As far as the electronics I usually store them in my carryon and that is kept in the luggage bin above your seat. I would not leave anything on my seat while I was gone, because on a long flight there will be lots of people moving around the plane.

I don't think you will have that much to worry about, as I don't think anyone is going to jump up and check your luggage while you are gone. Too many other people around for something like that to happen, and as you said above; the plane is not a good place for a grab and go thief as where would they go. If you still have some concerns just ask someone sitting near you to watch your stuff and most people will do that, as they would want you to do the same for them.

I hope you have a great trip, and enjoy the cruise around Japan.

done lots of long haul flights solo,never occurred to me that someone might steal my stuff, have always left things on my seat or pocket in front or under seat in front. Never had a problem.:)

Hi, I have also flown overseas multiple times. Actually I am going to Barcelona in August:D....I also leave everything

and have never had any issues. Most folks use the restroom when they are flying...especially on those long flights.

You mentioned your carry on? Mine goes above me in the overhead bin....that never comes down until I need to

get off the plane. My totebag/purse/sweater/etc.....whatever items I have with me all stay in my seat area when

I go to the restroom. Oh....I always travel solo.

Being ultra-cautious and taking valuables to the restroom may also have its drawbacks. On a flight a while back (short-haul) I went to the restroom and found a wad of banknotes on the floor - at least GBP100, as I recall. I vaguely remembered who had gone there before me and recognised him as I walked back to my seat. He had no idea that he had dropped them!

Sure, you can take your purse with you, but place any electronics and/or other values into your carry on and

place under the seat in front of your or in the overhead bin. If your seat mate is friendly you can ask them to

watch your belongings. I've done that many times for people. However, most crimes are that of opportunity. If

you leave something out on your seat then some one might just have sticky hands and take it. I really think that

theft is very rare in flight as it's not just like a person can steal something and then leave the aircraft. Again, the

less valuables you take - the less opportunity something goes missing.

It is very rare, but has happened.....people have reported items taken from their hand luggage stored in the overhead directly above them while they have still been sat in their seat. If you can, put your hand luggage in the overhead on the other side of the isle, and that way you can actually see if any one tries to go through your bag. For leaving your stuff while you use the bathroom, just slip your ipad/tablet into the seat pocket, they are usually wide enough so that it is completely hidden. But don't forget you put it there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I fly overseas solo all the time, always take my purse with me to the bathroom...but haven't worried about my iPad, as I leave it in my carry-on under the seat and out of sight. I met someone on a trip recently who'd put her purse on the empty seat between her and a stranger. She discovered after getting off the plane that her wallet and passport were gone...apparently emptied while she was dozing on the plane. I'm now wayyyy more careful than I used to be!

It occurs to me that the theft of something like your iPad from the seat is less likely because you'll notice it gone right away. At more risk are things in your stored bags, because you wouldn't notice it until you're off the plane So maybe it's actually better to leave stuff on your seat, but check it when you get back. Don't assume

Thanks everyone for letting me know what you think and sharing your experiences.

I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and take my purse (with cash, credit cards, and passport) with me, but leave my carry-on under the seat. I'm in a window seat and I think the tight spaces between rows would make it fairly easy for the person next to me to rifle through my carry on while I'm gone without being seen (especially on an overnight flight when the lights are dimmed and most people are sleeping). But the items in there are not so easily taken without being noticed (unlike cash or credit cards), and I'd like to think that I won't be sitting next to a dishonest person and that most people are on the flight to go on vacation or are on business and not there to try to make off with someone's laptop or camera. Of course, I've found that when one person from the row of seats goes, that seems to be the best time for the other folks in that row to go since you don't have to ask everyone to move, so I suppose others could have access, but in that case it would be much more noticeable if someone who isn't sitting there starts looking through people's stuff.

I don't put my carry on in the overhead since I'm so short I really can't reach it, and I also use it as a foot rest since me feet barely touches the floor ;).

I usually wear a money belt under my clothes on a flight, and it holds money, credit cards, and passport. It goes with me to the bathroom. If I have a purse instead, it goes with me.

As for my carry-on bag, I lock it before putting it on the security conveyor belt, in the overhead bin, or under the seat in front of me. I figure someone looking for a quick peek will be deterred enough to look for another target.

I don't think it's paranoid to be concerned about valuables on a flight full of people who are, to me, strangers.

I usually wear a money belt under my clothes on a flight, and it holds money, credit cards, and passport. It goes with me to the bathroom. If I have a purse instead, it goes with me.

As for my carry-on bag, I lock it before putting it on the security conveyor belt, in the overhead bin, or under the seat in front of me. I figure someone looking for a quick peek will be deterred enough to look for another target.

I don't think it's paranoid to be concerned about valuables on a flight full of people who are, to me, strangers.

I think it's kind of a shame that you think strangers mean you harm or loss. But I guess we're all a product of our own experiences. Don't you find it difficult having to go to the bathroom every time you want to move something in or out of your money belt? I mean, isn't the whole point of them that people won't know what you're carrying?

I once dropped my wallet, full of cards and money, in the toilet on a flight from Japan. It was returned to me.

You might enjoy this article: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/31/weekinreview/introducing-a-child-to-the-culture-of-shame.html

The notion of shame vs. guilt cultures that he's referring to comes from this wartime study:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chrysanthemum_and_the_Sword

Edited by someotherguy
Added link to wikipedia

I think it's kind of a shame that you think strangers mean you harm or loss. But I guess we're all a product of our own experiences. Don't you find it difficult having to go to the bathroom every time you want to move something in or out of your money belt? I mean, isn't the whole point of them that people won't know what you're carrying?

I am being realistic, that's all. No one cares about me and my stuff as much as I do.

Regarding the money belt, I am talking about plane travel, when I don't need to access money or credit cards. I can get the passport out for immigration without much trouble.

Whem I am touring, I have a different procedure. And it also assumes criminals exist. No need to pretend otherwise.

Hi, I don't think anyone said criminals don't exist:eek:........it just seems like a lot of extra weight to wear it on the plane....and

seems uncomfortable to wear when just needing to go to the restroom on the plane.

I am being realistic, that's all. No one cares about me and my stuff as much as I do.

Regarding the money belt, I am talking about plane travel, when I don't need to access money or credit cards. I can get the passport out for immigration without much trouble.

Whem I am touring, I have a different procedure. And it also assumes criminals exist. No need to pretend otherwise.

Oh, of course criminals exist.......but they're a small minority of the people out there. I choose to start by thinking most people are OK, unless I get a feeling that they're not. I'm cautious but not worried. I think that most of the time, people find what they are looking for. I don't pretend that everyone's virtuous, but I also don't pretend everyone's a criminal.

Hi, I don't think anyone said criminals don't exist:eek:........it just seems like a lot of extra weight to wear it on the plane....and seems uncomfortable to wear when just needing to go to the restroom on the plane.

I am not sure how it would add weight; I'd have the stuff in the belt with me anyway, and the belt itself is a lightweight material. I hardly notice it once it's on, and have flown with it dozens of times, so it works for me. And it's worth it to me to attempt to prevent more serious inconvenience. YMMV.

Oh, of course criminals exist.......but they're a small minority of the people out there. I choose to start by thinking most people are OK, unless I get a feeling that they're not. I'm cautious but not worried. I think that most of the time, people find what they are looking for. I don't pretend that everyone's virtuous, but I also don't pretend everyone's a criminal.

I am not pretending everyone is a criminal, either. But criminals usually don't wear signs. :)

I am not sure how it would add weight; I'd have the stuff in the belt with me anyway, and the belt itself is a lightweight material. I hardly notice it once it's on, and have flown with it dozens of times, so it works for me. And it's worth it to me to attempt to prevent more serious inconvenience. YMMV.

Happy it works for you then.

Different strokes for different folks.

Happy it works for you then. Different strokes for different folks.

Well, yes. And, of course, I was responding to the OP's question about how I handle my valuables during a long flight, not necessarily trying to persuade anyone to use my strategy.