Do P&O Take Their Passenger Loyalty For Granted?

megacruiser

Having recently been on QM2, I prefer P&O UK, ship was great, but many things on it, food, service, entertainment etc was no better than P&O/Princess. IMO Cunard was over rated, well on my sector, Sydney - HK last month.

Very interesting I was looking at Cunard cruises last night amongst others. I'm interested in Oceania and Celebrity but very often the no-fly issue kicks in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,its a good job there isnt a social grade F because that would be the "work house" and we would all be getting gruel in the buffet.Mind you,its getting close to that,cheers,Brian.

Not the first time I've thought of Dickensian when reading CC 🤣

There is a simple answer and it is one P&O could implement easily.

Upgrade the product on the 3 adult only ships, more staff, better food and service etc. Make these ships provide the 5* product which quite obviously would be appreciated by many of us.

Leave the other ships as they are where, more and more, they are catering to more of a club 18/30 holidaying set. I see above some posters are appalled at identifying a class grade but anyone can see this is happening, you may not like it being stated but it is true.

What would we think of this as a starting point as a plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upgrade the product on the 3 adult only ships, more staff, better food and service etc. Make these ships provide the 5* product which quite obviously would be appreciated by many of us.

Leave the other ships as they are where, more and more, they are catering to more of a club 18/30 holidaying set. I see above some posters are appalled at identifying a class grade but anyone can see this is happening, you may not like it being stated but it is true.

I'm not really qualified to comment never having sailed on Cunard, but, if you think of it from the wider perspective of Carnival, is that what they are trying to achieve with the Cunard v P&O brand? If not, what does differentiate the two brands?

I don't think they would split the standards within ships of the same brand. Also if the pricing structure were to remain the same, I'm sure the family ships would be dischuffed to get a lesser service for their money [emoji849]

Whilst we see changes in the offering and the demographic, many of us cruise with P&O because we are used to them and their pricing is attractive, so I guess we either acclimatise to change or pay more and go elsewhere.

This would lead to utter confusion, there was even confusion when Oceana operated different dress codes in the summer and winter season. If they want to do this the obvious solution would be to move those 3 ships to the Cunard brand, leaving them with only the problem of how to fill all the cabins.

I am saying these ships would have a higher fare structure. Their status would be somewhere between the current P&O and Cunard. Read the thread and many posters here are saying that is what they want and they don't mind paying more for it.

It would be very easy to split the brochure into the 2 sections. Then most passengers happy with the product as it is can head for the big three and people who prefer a slightly more upmarket cruise can head for the Oriana and Adonia.

I am saying these ships would have a higher fare structure. Their status would be somewhere between the current P&O and Cunard. Read the thread and many posters here are saying that is what they want and they don't mind paying more for it.

It would be very easy to split the brochure into the 2 sections. Then most passengers happy with the product as it is can head for the big three and people who prefer a slightly more upmarket cruise can head for the Oriana and Adonia.

While you might get a sizable percentage on here, I doubt that we are representative of the majority of P&O passengers, and there are plenty of upmarket brands to cruise with if you want to avoid the club 18-30 crowd.

While you might get a sizable percentage on here, I doubt that we are representative of the majority of P&O passengers, and there are plenty of upmarket brands to cruise with if you want to avoid the club 18-30 crowd.

Hoi, I resent that! I was once a major part of the heritage of the famous Club 18-30 elite:cool:

Malcolm (aged 63)

Whilst the notion of increasing prices (whether it be 25% or 40%) in order to provide a more upmarket experience would certainly appeal to me, it wouldn't work within the current P&O model, due to the vast numbers of cabins they have to fill nowadays and the resultant need to appeal to a much wider demographic than when they just had two or three small ships.

However, the idea of converting even just one 'adult only' ship to a far more upmarket cruising experience would work, in my opinion. Any potential confusion could be avoided by the creation of a sub-brand, in the same that car manufacturers do (e.g. Lexus is the upmarket version of Toyota). In fact, as P&O gets bigger and bigger, I think that there is an inevitability that they will need to do something like this.

I know that others feel that Cunard provides the answer to this, but I'm not convinced. We haven't cruised with them but have done ship visits and non-grill Class cabins and facilities didn't seem any better than P&O (in fact worse in some areas) and we were shocked at how cramped the Grill restaurants were, with tables right on top of each other. I have also heard from some who have cruised with Cunard that their 'on board apartheid' of grill and non-grill results in a bit of a 'them and us' mentality and some rather unpleasant attitudes.

Whilst the notion of increasing prices (whether it be 25% or 40%) in order to provide a more upmarket experience would certainly appeal to me, it wouldn't work within the current P&O model, due to the vast numbers of cabins they have to fill nowadays and the resultant need to appeal to a much wider demographic than when they just had two or three small ships.

However, the idea of converting even just one 'adult only' ship to a far more upmarket cruising experience would work, in my opinion. Any potential confusion could be avoided by the creation of a sub-brand, in the same that car manufacturers do (e.g. Lexus is the upmarket version of Toyota). In fact, as P&O gets bigger and bigger, I think that there is an inevitability that they will need to do something like this.

I know that others feel that Cunard provides the answer to this, but I'm not convinced. We haven't cruised with them but have done ship visits and non-grill Class cabins and facilities didn't seem any better than P&O (in fact worse in some areas) and we were shocked at how cramped the Grill restaurants were, with tables right on top of each other. I have also heard from some who have cruised with Cunard that their 'on board apartheid' of grill and non-grill results in a bit of a 'them and us' mentality and some rather unpleasant attitudes.

G'day, certainly agree with your third paragraph - comparison with P&O UK. In my opinion your points are very valid there. We recently 'voyaged' on QM2 and have done 4 with P&O UK, Arcadia x 2, Aurora/Oriana, as well as a load with Princess and some with Celebrity.:halo:

'On board Apartheid' I just love that term.

I think if P&O were to apply anything approaching a 25% or 40% increase they would more than likely be charging more than the premium lines, as well as having to cruise half empty.

But if you check their pricing you will find they already charge higher rates for Oriana, Adonia, Aurora and to a lesser extent Arcadia, which is one reason we rarely consider cruises on these ships.

For me please don't give P&O management any extra reasons to increase price or add extra revenue streams, I am struggling to get them to improve service standards up to Celebrity quality within the current price structure, so any daft ideas that passengers might be prepared to pay more should be avoided.:cool:

I think if P&O were to apply anything approaching a 25% or 40% increase they would more than likely be charging more than the premium lines, as well as having to cruise half empty.

But if you check their pricing you will find they already charge higher rates for Oriana, Adonia, Aurora and to a lesser extent Arcadia, which is one reason we rarely consider cruises on these ships.

For me please don't give P&O management any extra reasons to increase price or add extra revenue streams, I am struggling to get them to improve service standards up to Celebrity quality within the current price structure, so any daft ideas that passengers might be prepared to pay more should be avoided.:cool:

My concern with this is P&O management may just increase the fares but still not improving the quality of their product.

If that were to happen, it would be the worst of both worlds.

Currently, the cuisine may be poor at worst, and "hit and miss" at best, but at least, the drinks prices and gratuaties and fares relatively affordable. What would be worse is they are not doing anything more to improve the standards of catering (or maybe cut costs and lowering standards even more) but at the same time, they up the fares and charge you more. For the passenger, that would be a "lose-lose" situation, and that would not be good. Hope that would not happen.

Edited by Cahpek

There are usually loads of late P&O deals already so struggling to fill ships now, possibly the late prices are the cause of inferior food being offered.

43 cruises and counting.

I think you are a few years out of date

The deep discount late deals are not there any more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Having always been getaway/saver people for years we have recently changed to Select since the OBC got a lot better and we lost dining choice on savers. Example a cruise we are looking at the moment has a £300pp difference between the 2 fares and £325pp OBC. As we will spend the OBC no problem we go for the Select fare and get choice of cabin and dining. Works for us.

I am offered special deals from P&O all the time.93 nights sailed on P&O.

Regards Graham.

43 cruises and counting.

OK Oceana next month 14 night fly cruise, no insides left, balcony on saver fare about £150.00 pppn.

Two to three years ago this cruise from Venice would be giving cabins away at less than £100.00 pppn or even less.

These boards and all other boards would be full of people saying I paid £xxxx and now it is only £xxx. Oh woe is me.

Now I rarely see any of that kind of post. I do see posts saying I have been watching cruise X and do you know the prices are going up and not coming down. Oh woe is me.

That is why I say that there may be some reductions but quite rare and not much of a reduction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

OK Oceana next month 14 night fly cruise, no insides left, balcony on saver fare about £150.00 pppn.

Two to three years ago this cruise from Venice would be giving cabins away at less than £100.00 pppn or even less.

These boards and all other boards would be full of people saying I paid £xxxx and now it is only £xxx. Oh woe is me.

Now I rarely see any of that kind of post. I do see posts saying I have been watching cruise X and do you know the prices are going up and not coming down. Oh woe is me.

That is why I say that there may be some reductions but quite rare and not much of a reduction.

I agree, this is the new pricing trend. Also prices at release seem to be good value.

I usually book my cruises 8 months in advance mainly because Pauline works for the British Government and has to submit her holidays early. I book balcony or above on P&,O select so i get OBC,dining choice etc.

I.must be lucky or classed a good customer as we do a minimum of 3 cruises a year and i get emails every day from several cruise agents.

Regards Graham.

43 cruises and counting.

I usually book my cruises 8 months in advance mainly because Pauline works for the British Government and has to submit her holidays early. I book balcony or above on P&,O select so i get OBC,dining choice etc.

I.must be lucky or classed a good customer as we do a minimum of 3 cruises a year and i get emails every day from several cruise agents.

Regards Graham.

43 cruises and counting.

And I book day one. And I check the prices of cruises on a regular basis I like to be informed.

The discounts now are no where near what they were 3/4 years ago. In fact of all my cruises all are now more expensive than when I booked. In fact this has been the case for at least 4 year. That is except the Princess one which had dropped by £1000pp.

And I book day one. And I check the prices of cruises on a regular basis I like to be informed.

The discounts now are no where near what they were 3/4 years ago. In fact of all my cruises all are now more expensive than when I booked. In fact this has been the case for at least 4 year. That is except the Princess one which had dropped by £1000pp.

Except for the new year's cruises with P&O all our cruises are with Royal Caribbean.

I take very little notice of the P&O brochure as it only shows a price from.

My comment was based on the number of special price mail shots and emails i get so if you don't get these i will not mention this again.

43 cruises and counting.

Except for the new year's cruises with P&O all our cruises are with Royal Caribbean.

My comment was based on the number of special price mail shots and emails i get so if you don't get these i will not mention this again.

43 cruises and counting.

I get mail shots, but to be honest I'm still not seeing the prices cut like they used to be. By the time you take the OBC into account there is little fluctuation in prices from what I can see - although without that calculation they appear cheaper.

Obviously I'm not suggesting you are wrong, as you say we are all probably exposed to different offers.

43 cruises and counting.

I get the offers but they are not as they were. When the OBC is raised to make it look like a good offer the price goes up to compensate.

I do know what I am talking about with regard to P&O pricing.

I recently checked the price of every one of the 5 future P&O cruises we have booked for 2017 and 2018 and the 'net' price (total cost less on board credit) is now more for every single one of them than when we booked. The 'offers' that we all get are marketing spin. Deep discounts come with less OBC. Generous OBC offers come with higher cruise prices. The marketing works, because people book thinking they are getting a great deal. The reality (nowadays at least) appears to be that the best overall prices are to be had when the cruises are first released.