Celebrity and binoculars

Fabricrat

Hi. DM and I are sailing to Alaska in August. In the stateroom description it mentions the use of binoculars, does anyone have any knowledge of the ones used by Celebrity? Is it one per cabin? Would I be better off to bring my own?

Hi. DM and I are sailing to Alaska in August. In the stateroom description it mentions the use of binoculars, does anyone have any knowledge of the ones used by Celebrity? Is it one per cabin? Would I be better off to bring my own?
The are the small cheap kind. I think you would be better off to bring your own.

Always better to bring your own if you have good ones! I love my Nikons & have them adjusted for my eyes. I'm used to them, zooming in on quickly moving things, etc. My glass is great for the price point so I'd be worried that the ones in the cabin aren't as good or that the last cabin pax dropped them! I don't like surprises when it comes to binoculars!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You can be very sure that the binoculars they supply probably cost them <$10 and are total junk. Good optics cost money - lots of it.

DON

They aren't high quality but are sometimes good enough for a quick closer look at something, such as a passing ship. If you plan on using binoculars a lot, bringing your own would be the best option. The ones supplied are just a basic nicety, and not designed for detailed observations.

Take your own.

I know we had them in our concierge class cabin, and they were useless.

I love my Nikons

What model? I'm close to ordering the Nikon 16026 Oeanpro with Global Compass. For under $300 seems like a reasonable compromise between good optics and not an outrageous price like for Ziess.

As others have said, they are not of high quality (to put it mildly). One one cruise they were in such poor condition that I asked for a replacement pair. They weren't much better, but at least the optics were clean and not scratched.

I learned my lesson and now bring my own.