Good or Bad..

Teekkanie

Desks?

I had a 1A like yours on the Triumph(1206 - 2nd cabin portside), and I loved it. Having the bed and couch along the same wall will give you alot of floor space. If you have a cabin at the point where the hull starts to curve toward the bow you can actually sit on the window sill. The 1A cabins at this point are larger than the ones farther forward.

The bottom deck is usually quiet because the only people that go down there are people with cabins on that deck. Also, you only have to go up one deck when returning to the ship. You can take the stairs instead of waiting for an elevator.

My steward had to switch the bed and couch. Even though Carnival's website showed my cabin having both along one wall, when I got there the bed was sticking out next to the portholes, and the couch was under the pullman.

I heard the water hitting the bow. At first it sounded like the anchor was hitting the side of the ship. Once I realized it was water, it didn't bother me anymore. It was just another sound. I slept well. Very few sounds can wake me up.

Thank you for your input. I am so looking forward to this cruise. I will be on the Panama Canal transition cruise with the Splendor, leaving Miami and arriving in Long Beach. I have the very first cabin on deck 1 (ops sorry not desks). :cool:

What are your thoughts/experiences with lower lvl desks with Porthole windows. Specifically on Splendor lvl 1 all the way forward?

Can't tell you anything about a porthole cabin on Splendor, but we have one on the Valor in 3 days. 1221 on the starboard side. We are prepared to have some noise from the anchor chain in Cozumel and again back in Galveston. We have no idea how noisy it may be, but figured the cruise is only 4 days long. Our cabin is supposed to be 220 sq ft, which is 35 sq ft more than a regular cabin.

Just looking forward to some R&R this weekend.

What are your thoughts/experiences with lower lvl desks with Porthole windows. Specifically on Splendor lvl 1 all the way forward?

Haven't been on splendor. I was on the first deck all the way forward on Elation. Main thing is the anchor noise. It goes on for 30-60mins before you arrive at a port and before you leave a port. Other than that just the distance you have to walk to get to say the comedy club all the way aft. Once I went from aft lido to the room. Then to the comedy club only to realize I left my glasses in the room. Had to walk all the way back to the room, then back to the comedy club. That's a workout!

Can't tell you anything about a porthole cabin on Splendor, but we have one on the Valor in 3 days. 1221 on the starboard side. We are prepared to have some noise from the anchor chain in Cozumel and again back in Galveston. We have no idea how noisy it may be, but figured the cruise is only 4 days long. Our cabin is supposed to be 220 sq ft, which is 35 sq ft more than a regular cabin.

Here's my anchor noise from Elation

7GxqSwa39Ls

The noise when docking is actually the mooring lines (as they don't anchor at port) if it is a tender port... wow, the anchor is LOUD. If the seas are rough you will hear the bang bang of waves hitting the bow and you will "bounce and shudder" a lot in heavy seas...

We would hear the lines when close to port. It was our wake up call! Also, we did sometimes have rough seas and you can feel the waves hitting, depending on the level you are on. I tend to get seasick on small boats (whalers, etc), and this didn't bother me much. If it was at night, I just felt that I was being rocked to sleep! It is all in how you look at things...

I have had several porthole rooms both PT and 1A including a PT on the Splendor. I really like them but you should be prepared for the sound of waves hitting the bow of the ship. It depends on the condition of the seas. We seem to hear it more when heading south from Florida or Galveston then when returning to Florida or Galveston. I always bring earplugs to use for the first couple of days. So come prepared.

I stayed in a porthole room on the Fascination just recently. We were in E8, so it was on the highest up level with porthole rooms, if I remember correctly. We never heard any noise from the water or related to docking. The room was comfortable and I would book it again. I know you are asking about a lower level porthole room, but I'm just pointing out that if you can get one on a higher level, you won't be bothered with noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

...We've had several porthole cabins. Noise from the anchor/mooring lines were never really a problem. As others have said, if the noise is too loud, well, it's probably time to get up anyway. There is a slight noise of the clapping of the waves onto the front of the ship. We've only hit rough seas once while in a PT cabin, and the cabin did "shutter" from side to side a bit. Over all, if your looking to save a few bucks while still having some daylight enter the room, a PT cabin is the way to go. In fact, we recently scored a PT for John Heald's Blogger's Cruise 11 on the Magic next February!

I stayed in a porthole room on the Fascination just recently. We were in E8, so it was on the highest up level with porthole rooms, if I remember correctly. We never heard any noise from the water or related to docking. The room was comfortable and I would book it again. I know you are asking about a lower level porthole room, but I'm just pointing out that if you can get one on a higher level, you won't be bothered with noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe the porthole rooms on higher decks are only available on Fantasy class ships. On all other class ships including the Splendor the porthole cabins (PT or 1A's with portholes) are on decks 1 and 2.

I booked this same room on Valor as weel, but my cruise is still way far off (June 26th) Please let me know how you like it! I snore, my mom does not, so I was thinking of taking earplugs with me anyway. I don't believe I will need them, I LOVE the sound of the waves hitting the ship! I am curious to the amount of movement at this location, as it's the closest to the bow that I have ever been. Please let me know, I'm very interested for any information at all!