Off the Breakaway yesterday

newmexicoNita

Good morning: just off the Breakaway yesterday and will write a detailed review in a few days, but here are some highlights:

4600 on the ship: 2155 were kids: very crowded everywhere.

Food was outstanding: by far the best we have had on NCL or maybe any line in years.

Friendly crew; everywhere smiles and happy faces, with a nice word all the time: loved our cabin steward and all the wait staff

Service: very slow in the dining rooms, but still the crew was very attentive.

more details later.:confused::confused:

We were on the same cruise. We had a fantastic time. I will agree the staff was very friendly. We only ate at the buffet and O'Sheehans. Never had any trouble finding a seat. I will look forward to reading your review.

We are sailing on her in Jan 2018....hoping due to Christmas break a few weeks before, that the amount of kids will be limited. I love kids, don't get me wrong...just not a ton of them everywhere running up and down halls, screaming in the dining rooms etc. Yes, I am a mom so I do understand.

Ok here a litle more detailed review on our cruise last week: I would rate it a 3 plus to 4 star, but,for many I am sure it was closer to a 5.

As I mentioned there were lots of famlies: we had expected some but never realized with 50 states, pus Canada, kids get spring break anytime from the first week of Mar until Easter. The biggest problem with so many kids, is the crowds plus strollers, especially the large ones make even walking through the Atrium a pain in the you know what. That being said, 90% of the kids were very well behaved and with the exception of the crowded public areas there were few problems. The only kids we encountered that needed a lesson on manners were a few of those in the tween age groups.

There were many more positives than negatives: Let's start with food: My opinion and that of hubby's, daughter and son in law are all about the same: big improvement over the past couple of years. We are platinum and platinum plus so we did eat most of our dinners in specialty dining rooms. The first night we were very tired so choose to eat at the buffet and didn't eat much. It was like any buffet, ok, but not gourmet. our DD and SIL ate at the noodle bar, they were a bit disappointed. Lunch when we arrived that afternoon, we choose O'Sheehans: better than the last few cruises. We choose to eat lunch there more than once and loved it each time. The breakfast, however was pretty bad: the service made up for it. It is a great place for a quick bite to eat, that is what it was designed for and it worked.

The Manhattan room, was fantastic: Our server was beyond just good, he was outstanding. We actually left him a small tip which we never do in the MDRs. We choose the MDR for breakfast most of the time; again, like one would expect: a breakfast is a breakfast. The lox and bagel was loaded with lox and it came served looking like a rose bud, complete with lettuce. Absolutely fun but do ask for extra tomato and cream cheese, Though the service was quite slow, we were in no hurry and blew it off because the wait staff was so attentive and friendly. Daughter and son in law choose the buffet every morning. BTW, the way, the omelets, both in the buffet and MDR are huge, and awesome.

The specialty dining rooms were normally full to capacity or pretty much so. The exception was La Cucina as we ate later than usual. Expect dinner to take anywhere from 2 hours to a little longer when eating in the specialty dining rooms. Moderno's was a bit faster while Le Bistro was the longest. It didn't bother us, but do plan your nightly entertainment around long dinner time when eating in specialty dining rooms. I can't say which was our favorite restaurant, they were all way above par in our view. I personally love Le Bistro, if nothing else just the feeling of fine dining for some reason. I also love La Cucina for some reason. Our biggest problem this time, se had met with our younger daughter and hubby who live in Florida, for lunch that day. We just were not that hungry when we went for dinner.

Next round I will discuss entertainment, but that can wait for another time. Be sure to ask questions; I will try to answer but remember it is all subjective and just my opinion. :cool:

We are sailing on her in Jan 2018....hoping due to Christmas break a few weeks before, that the amount of kids will be limited. I love kids, don't get me wrong...just not a ton of them everywhere running up and down halls, screaming in the dining rooms etc. Yes, I am a mom so I do understand.

We were on the Jan 2 cruise this year. I think there were about 400 children on board (according to a member of staff) and most of them were well-behaved.

Book it!!!!! U will have less than 100 kids under 18

Not always true!

The BA's longer January cruises are very popular with youngish families, especially from Canada, and we have seen a LOT of kids on some of the January cruises. Doesn't bother us.

Not always true!

The BA's longer January cruises are very popular with youngish families, especially from Canada, and we have seen a LOT of kids on some of the January cruises. Doesn't bother us.

Kids don't bother me although I would never cruise during spring break!

Is there an "included" breakfast in Margaritaville? With an omelette station?

Last November, Margaritaville was open for bfast, with a subset of buffet food. No omelet station though. Fast and calm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not always true!

That makes me wonder if Canada kids have a Christmas school break in Dec or not. One would think that their parents would not vacation right after a Christmas break. Hmm!