Trying not to hold my breath. Upsell questions

Linaeve

Reading these last two posts, I'm wondering if I made a mistake booking a specific SC room. Had not done it that way before---- and maybe won't again!

If you are happy with the cabin location, you did the right thing. The only difference in the SC and SB or SA cabins are locations (except for handicap ones). Also the aft-wraps might be a bit smaller, but they have the great balconies.

Not an upsell, but we received an upgrade from SC guarantee to SA which was just two doors forward of the Neptune Lounge. After that suite was assigned there was an upsell offer for a PS. It was about $850 pp (that was Canadian $) but we decided we had enough space in the Neptune suite.

I would LOVE to get an offer like that for the PS. I've never had a PS offer, but would love to get one. It's all about the real estate. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just an update. Sailing to Alaska on Oosterdam, May 14th, Seattle round trip. We had our on-line TA contact Up-sell Dept. and were offered an up-sell from VB balcony to Neptune Suite, SA for $448 per person (total $896 for family of four). Original offer came 10 days ago (30 days to sail date) at $1098 per room total, which we declined. This current offer we accepted. Per TA Upsell rep. states there are only two NS left and we were given choice between the two, both NS across from Neptune lounge, one on the port, the other on the starboard side. However, HAL and other websites show about 11 NS available for booking. Is it only particular rooms they offer as up-sell (or is it a sales tactic "the last two rooms left")?

Per TA Upsell rep. states there are only two NS left and we were given choice between the two, both NS across from Neptune lounge, one on the port, the other on the starboard side. However, HAL and other websites show about 11 NS available for booking. Is it only particular rooms they offer as up-sell (or is it a sales tactic "the last two rooms left")?

The total of cabins sold and the total of guarantees sold cannot exceed the number of cabins in that class.

Suppose there are a total of 50 NS on a ship.

Suppose 30 have been booked by specific cabin number (not guarantees).

Suppose 18 guarantee cabins have been sold.

Only two more cabins would be available for sale.

The guaranteed bookings do not have cabins assigned so there is a total of 20 cabins that have not been assigned. These 20 would appear as "available for booking." even though only two more cabins could be sold, ie, would "be left".

Suppose someone calls and books a cabin and another person calls and books a guarantee. No more cabins could be sold and the number available for booking would go from 20 to 19 to zero.

Edited by RocketMan275

The total of cabins sold and the total of guarantees sold cannot exceed the number of cabins in that class.

Suppose there are a total of 50 NS on a ship.

Suppose 30 have been booked by specific cabin number (not guarantees).

Suppose 18 guarantee cabins have been sold.

Only two more cabins would be available for sale.

The guaranteed bookings do not have cabins assigned so there is a total of 20 cabins that have not been assigned. These 20 would appear as "available for booking." even though only two more cabins could be sold, ie, would "be left".

Suppose someone calls and books a cabin and another person calls and books a guarantee. No more cabins could be sold and the number available for booking would go from 20 to 19 to zero.

Yes, I understand that. However, out of 11 cabins I was able to do dummy bookings on the upsell department offered only two specific ones, not any two out of 11. That's why I was wondering. Thank You for above explanation, though. It's very clear. (What I am trying to say is that they allowed me to chose out of two specific cabins, not out of 11 cabins they have, even though only 2 of those 11 are available, but it should be any 2, no?)

Yes, I understand that. However, out of 11 cabins I was able to do dummy bookings on the upsell department offered only two specific ones, not any two out of 11. That's why I was wondering. Thank You for above explanation, though. It's very clear.

Who knows? It's possible that they had a plan for the guarantees and didn't want to change the plan? It's possible that they only wanted to give you two choices.

I've noticed that cruise lwebsites don't always list all the possible cabins. They will only offer you a limited number and if you do try to book other specific cabins by number they may also be available.

When we booked a cabin through the on board consultant, she showed us her screen and it had many, many cabins available. When I got home three days later, my home computer only showed a fraction of those. I could, however, input specific cabin numbers and then they would show up as available.

Just called the upsell department for my June 11 Oosterdam cruise. She said to wait until between 40 and 30 days before the cruise to see anything. Also mentioned that I would have to go through my TA to get anything changed....which I knew, but wanted to confirm that here.

Last I checked, the cabins I really want appear to be booked already, so maybe won't get the chance to upsell anyway. I will be checking regardless..

A friend of mine is sailing on the Oosterdam on April 30th for 7 days - their first cruise. This afternoon she received an upsell offer that moved them from an ocean view to a Vista Suite. She wasn't sure what to do, so I told her to call them not now, but right now! So happy for her and her husband - this will be a great introduction to cruising for them!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Just called the upsell department for my June 11 Oosterdam cruise. She said to wait until between 40 and 30 days before the cruise to see anything. Also mentioned that I would have to go through my TA to get anything changed....which I knew, but wanted to confirm that here.

Last I checked, the cabins I really want appear to be booked already, so maybe won't get the chance to upsell anyway. I will be checking regardless..

When they started up sell process on my sailing, two posterior Neptune suites (Aft) which were previously booked became available and stayed so for few days. I know a lot of people like those( we actually prefer mid-ship). So, just saying that your choice cabins might get vacated as well in the up sell process.

When they started up sell process on my sailing, two posterior Neptune suites (Aft) which were previously booked became available and stayed so for few days. I know a lot of people like those( we actually prefer mid-ship). So, just saying that your choice cabins might get vacated as well in the up sell process.

Just checked on the HAL site and I was mistaken. Both cabins, either of which I would like, are available.

I also see prices have moderated lately, so I just left a message for my TA to check pricing on an SY. I am currently in a VB and going by the HAL site that would be $228 pp more. I think my TA will do better than that so maybe we can get it to $ 199 pp. What do you guys think?

Just checked on the HAL site and I was mistaken. Both cabins, either of which I would like, are available.

I also see prices have moderated lately, so I just left a message for my TA to check pricing on an SY. I am currently in a VB and going by the HAL site that would be $228 pp more. I think my TA will do better than that so maybe we can get it to $ 199 pp. What do you guys think?

30 days before sailing we received up-sell offer from our VB balcony cabin to Signature suite for $299 /per person for first and second passengers in the cabin. (that was 10 days ago for May, 14th sailing.) At the same time VB to Neptune was $559 / per person. Today they offered VB to Neptune for $448 / per person. Judging by that, VB to Signature for $199 / per person sounds very reasonable. (SY is Signature, I assume?)

A friend of mine is sailing on the Oosterdam on April 30th for 7 days - their first cruise. This afternoon she received an upsell offer that moved them from an ocean view to a Vista Suite. She wasn't sure what to do, so I told her to call them not now, but right now! So happy for her and her husband - this will be a great introduction to cruising for them!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I don't think there are Vista Suites on Oosterdam, only Signature (mini suite), Neptune and two Pinacle Suites?

30 days before sailing we received up-sell offer from our VB balcony cabin to Signature suite for $299 /per person for first and second passengers in the cabin. (that was 10 days ago for May, 14th sailing.) At the same time VB to Neptune was $559 / per person. Today they offered VB to Neptune for $448 / per person. Judging by that, VB to Signature for $199 / per person sounds very reasonable. (SY is Signature, I assume?)
Yes they are Signature. If the fares work out the way I think they may, we might not even have to wait for an Upsell.

Just went through the frustrating process of obtaining upsells for my cabins. We did not book with HAL so it was much more difficult to get an upsell this time. Usually an online agency will send you an email and let you know if there are any upgrades offered. We called them every few days from 3 weeks out and they told us the same thing. While we waited we lost the opportunity for a signature suite and almost lost the opportunity for a veranda cabin. The online TA said they could do nothing. Finally yesterday I insisted they call and tell HAL that all the people on my roll call had upsell offers and then they gave us one and we upsold to veranda's. You must be persistent. I saw that the ship was not full and there were many cabins available and new that my fellow roll call members were offered the upsells. That being said you may want to post on your roll call and ask the others to post when they get upsell offers so you can call your agent and request one. It is not cheating or doing anything wrong getting an upsell. It is supply and demand. I think HAL would prefer the extra money vs empty cabins. Do book the cabin you want as if the ship is full there will be no upsells.

Andrea

Just went through the frustrating process of obtaining upsells for my cabins. We did not book with HAL so it was much more difficult to get an upsell this time. Usually an online agency will send you an email and let you know if there are any upgrades offered. We called them every few days from 3 weeks out and they told us the same thing. While we waited we lost the opportunity for a signature suite and almost lost the opportunity for a veranda cabin. The online TA said they could do nothing. Finally yesterday I insisted they call and tell HAL that all the people on my roll call had upsell offers and then they gave us one and we upsold to veranda's. You must be persistent. I saw that the ship was not full and there were many cabins available and new that my fellow roll call members were offered the upsells. That being said you may want to post on your roll call and ask the others to post when they get upsell offers so you can call your agent and request one. It is not cheating or doing anything wrong getting an upsell. It is supply and demand. I think HAL would prefer the extra money vs empty cabins. Do book the cabin you want as if the ship is full there will be no upsells.

Andrea

This is why I advise calling the Upsell department directly . Then call your TA to make the change if there are Upsells.

Wooo HOOO!!!!

Unbelievable! I just wrangled a $100pp upgrade to an SY from a VB!

It took a bit to get my TA to achieve it, but we worked it out in a conference call with HAL.

Back story......

Before I originally booked, I found out that HAL allows an automatic upgrade from the lowest price balcony cabin to whichever balcony cabin is available for my handicap friend's needs.

So I was looking at recent HAL pricing and I noticed a drop. Contacted my TA about an upgrade via e-mail and she came back with $900 pp additional to move to a suite ! I reminded her about the auto upgrade thing....which lead to the HAL conference call and then to $100 pp upgrade. YAY!

Side note.....due to government re-examination, SY 5001 and 5002 are no longer considered "wheel chair" accessible. This is only based on there only being enough room to get a chair to one side of the bed. Not a practical problem at all really. Glad for the conference call for that too, because if we hadn't we would not be in that great cabin with a view out the front.

So no need here for an upsell. Wishing the best for everyone that wants one!

Wooo HOOO!!!!

It took a bit to get my TA to achieve it, but we worked it out in a conference call with HAL.

Back story......

Before I originally booked, I found out that HAL allows an automatic upgrade from the lowest price balcony cabin to whichever balcony cabin is available for my handicap friend's needs.

So I was looking at recent HAL pricing and I noticed a drop. Contacted my TA about an upgrade via e-mail and she came back with $900 pp additional to move to a suite ! I reminded her about the auto upgrade thing....which lead to the HAL conference call and then to $100 pp upgrade. YAY!

Side note.....due to government re-examination, SY 5001 and 5002 are no longer considered "wheel chair" accessible. This is only based on there only being enough room to get a chair to one side of the bed. Not a practical problem at all really. Glad for the conference call for that too, because if we hadn't we would not be in that great cabin with a view out the front.

This sounds like an excellent deal! (confirms my suspicion that we have overpaid greatly from VB to Neptune for $ 896 :( !)

I don't think that means that at all. You skipped a whole level to get up to the Neptune. :)

Tinknock50, it's kind of you to say. Thank You. It's our first time on HAL and first time for kids in Alaska. We are looking forward to it. You enjoy your cruise.

This sounds like an excellent deal! (confirms my suspicion that we have overpaid greatly from VB to Neptune for $ 896 :( !)

I don't think you overpaid at all...

Tinknock move up one level...regular balcony to Signature Suite. You jumped two...balcony to Neptune suite. The Neptune has far more perks than the Signature.

I don't think you overpaid at all...

Tinknock move up one level...regular balcony to Signature Suite. You jumped two...balcony to Neptune suite. The Neptune has far more perks than the Signature.

Msmayor, thank you too. I am not worried.Regardless of the price we needed the suite because there are four of us in a room. Plus, we never sailed in a suite, always booked two adjoining balconies when sailing with children ( we always traveled with all three of our kids).

Wooo HOOO!!!!

Back story......

Congratulations that's a great deal! Enjoy!

We sail in about 10 days, still don't have a room assignment and just received a second email with an upsell offer but they're holding their ground...$299pp for SS or S and $599pp for NS (from a guar verandah).

That's what the first offer was that we received on April 7th.