Add a room mate later

I would like to book a cruise for 2 people, but I don't have a second person yet.... I am hoping my brother will come along later, but he won't do anything till the very last minute, or maybe my daughter will come. What is the best way to handle this? I hate the thought of adding a person a month out, and rates have tripled... then I KNOW no body will go with me. Should I book in say my daughter's name and do a name change later? Is that possible?

I would book two people initially. It does not matter who's name you use for the 2nd person, it can be changed up to 24 hours before the cruise. This way the price is frozen and you ensure space.

I would book two people initially. It does not matter who's name you use for the 2nd person, it can be changed up to 24 hours before the cruise. This way the price is frozen and you ensure space.

This way you'll be guaranteed a space for the second person. If you booked yourself and later wanted to add another person. They could not let you that . The factor is whether the life boats for your muster area are full to capacity.

I would book for two people now, with the other person just named TBD or something.

Change the name down the road, or cancel the second person and get the double points for single occupancy.

But definitely lock in the price for the second person NOW.

You could also get repriced when adding a second person, but not when changing a name. I have put a friend's name on a reservation just to be sure of the spot and the price hoping that she could go with me. Another friend made the trip and it was one phone call to change the name.

I would book for two people now, with the other person just named TBD or something.

Change the name down the road, or cancel the second person and get the double points for single occupancy.

But definitely lock in the price for the second person NOW.

I was told by my CVP that I couldn't do this. It has to be a named person. As the others said, you can change the name anytime up to 24 hours before your cruise.

Question: (not exactly on-topic but similar)

Now that they (RC online) have started minimum occupancy on certain cabins, could I book for 3 and remove the 3rd person later while keeping the same cabin? Is anyone else doing this?

Now that they (RC online) have started minimum occupancy on certain cabins, could I book for 3 and remove the 3rd person later while keeping the same cabin? Is anyone else doing this?

You could do that, but you take the chance that they will move you.

I was told by my CVP that I couldn't do this. It has to be a named person. As the others said, you can change the name anytime up to 24 hours before your cruise.

Sorry this isn't correct...I have booked my single adult DS many times into a cabin for 2 (never sure if he would want to bring a friend or not...the price always ended up being less since I book so far in advance. and booked the other passenger as a "TBD" the most recent cruise I did this on was for our HOTS when we cruised last month....but won't have to worry about doing that anymore he's now engaged. Perhaps policy has recently changed but I doubt it...call and speak to another rep.

Thanks Bob :)

Would the chances (of moving) be less if I paid in full, and waited until a week or so before sailing to remove the 3rd just before check-in?

You have to pay in full long before a week before sailing. I would double check this, but I believe you can cancel the 3rd person up to 14 days before the cruise without penalty. They could still move you, and I really don't know the odds.

I booked alone for a Sept Anthem cruise. I asked if I could add someone later and the rep told me yes and they would only pay tax and fees. Was that incorrect?

You were told correctly IF there is still room in your lifeboat, if your lifeboat is filled to capacity with people having more than two in a cabin you will not be able to add a second guest. Much better to book a fictitious name or TBA and then have them be a no show, you would get the taxes and fees back for the no show

You could do that, but you take the chance that they will move you.

Not worth the chance to me...I recently had four cabins booked (for 10 family members) and knew we were going to have 3 no shows several moths prior to sailing....I got these cabins (HOTS booked June 2015 for sail March 2017) for such an amazing price and all aft boardwalk cabins right next to each other with one of them connecting a perfect set up for our group...I opted to cancel "no one" and didn't take the chance of RCI moving us...worked out well for us.

Not worth the chance to me...I recently had four cabins booked (for 10 family members) and knew we were going to have 3 no shows several moths prior to sailing....I got these cabins (HOTS booked June 2015 for sail March 2017) for such an amazing price and all aft boardwalk cabins right next to each other with one of them connecting a perfect set up for our group...I opted to cancel "no one" and didn't take the chance of RCI moving us...worked out well for us.

Did RC automatically refund the taxes for the no shows?

This way you'll be guaranteed a space for the second person. If you booked yourself and later wanted to add another person. They could not let you that . The factor is whether the life boats for your muster area are full to capacity.

Maybe depends on the cabin too?

I booked 9664 on the Empress for my DD & roommate, knowing there was space for four even though she only had commitment from one roommate. (I do all my booking online) For a while there was an "ADD" button available that I would check now & then to see if it was possible to add another roommate if they wanted. Eventually that button stopped working, and a message popped up that it was unavailable.

So I would agree, if you think you may possibly have X number of people go ahead & book 'em all first.

You have to pay in full long before a week before sailing. I would double check this, but I believe you can cancel the 3rd person up to 14 days before the cruise without penalty. They could still move you, and I really don't know the odds.

Yeah I get that final payment is 90 days out, but online check-in can be done up to 3 days before sailing. Did not realize there is a 14 day policy for cancelling an "extra" passenger, thanks for that!

When people here talk about "no shows" are these phantoms actually checked-in with a setsail pass and everything?

Yeah I get that final payment is 90 days out, but online check-in can be done up to 3 days before sailing. Did not realize there is a 14 day policy for cancelling an "extra" passenger, thanks for that!

When people here talk about "no shows" are these phantoms actually checked-in with a setsail pass and everything?

No :)

No, that would not be possible as there would have to be a photo ID to get checked-in. They just don't show up on sailing day.

If YOU are paying for the cabin, and you book solo, then you still pay the "double" rate....cabin prices are based on 2 people in each cabin.

It's always easier to drop someone than add someone. If the lifeboat capacity is full, then adding someone may NOT be possible!

Did this same thing for a May cruise for my son. He and two buddies were booked into one of the big ocean views on anthem. One buddy had to cancel. When we called to remove him they forced us to change cabins. Other option was to pay his fare and have him be no show at pier. So unless you are willing to pay 3rd fare you likely won't be able to do this. Crown and anchor rep even pleaded case to resolutions and finance for us to keep cabin, even tried using that it was graduation gift all to no avail. Was told as long as there is a cabin for (the category you originally booked) in our case an ocean view ANYWHERE on the ship for two we had to move. If we didn't pick the cabin they would reassign us at final payment unless we paid the third fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did this same thing for a May cruise for my son. He and two buddies were booked into one of the big ocean views on anthem. One buddy had to cancel. When we called to remove him they forced us to change cabins. Other option was to pay his fare and have him be no show at pier. So unless you are willing to pay 3rd fare you likely won't be able to do this. Crown and anchor rep even pleaded case to resolutions and finance for us to keep cabin, even tried using that it was graduation gift all to no avail. Was told as long as there is a cabin for (the category you originally booked) in our case an ocean view ANYWHERE on the ship for two we had to move. If we didn't pick the cabin they would reassign us at final payment unless we paid the third fare.

Good to know -- I will definitely NOT be attempting that. Kinda sucks though that they're now enforcing minimum of 3 in certain cabins with a sofa bed (like a few choice aft-corners I know of) :( oh well...

Sorry this isn't correct...I have booked my single adult DS many times into a cabin for 2 (never sure if he would want to bring a friend or not...the price always ended up being less since I book so far in advance. and booked the other passenger as a "TBD" the most recent cruise I did this on was for our HOTS when we cruised last month....but won't have to worry about doing that anymore he's now engaged. Perhaps policy has recently changed but I doubt it...call and speak to another rep.

Maybe policy changed since you booked? I was told this 2 weeks ago.

Did RC automatically refund the taxes for the no shows?

Yes..Taxes and port fees were refunded automatically to my credit card within a week of ending the cruise...this was easy no one said a word to us at check in or on the ship about our no shows. Financially I only lost a few hundred bucks...well worth it to me to keep these cabins and the extra room it gave us and to keep us all together.