Rosary Beads from the Vatican

wineandbeach

We will be in Rome for a couple days pre cruise. We have already done a tour of the museums and Sistine Chapel. I am looking for some nice rosary beads (not made in China) and many people have mentioned the gift shops at the vatican are nice. Do we need to wait in line or get tickets for St Peters? Can we get to the gift shops without a tour or tickets? Any suggestions where to go for nice Rosary Beads. We are also looking for a nice cross (to hang). We will also be in Assisi, Lake Garda, Florence and Milan post tour. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

You can access the Vatican shop from outside (no tour) you can get Rosary Bead ranging from inexpensive to $100's of dollars. You can also send your beads for blessing my the Pope and pick your Rosary up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can also purchase your rosary at one of the Vatican shops and have it (or any other devotional item) blessed yourself by attending any the following:

The Wednesday Papal audience (tickets are free - http://www.papalaudience.org/tickets)

The Sunday Angelus - (Sundays & Holy Days - noon - from window of his study overlooking St. Peter's Square). At the conclusion of the Angelus, Pope Francis will give his Apostolic Blessing (this extends to you, your loved ones, and any devotional items that you have brought to be blessed).

any Papal Mass

Do they sell rosaries that are 'pre-blessed'? We will be in Rome a short time and I believe that the Pope will be at his summer residence at that time. Although I am not Catholic, I would like to pick up a rosary as a christening gift.

Do they sell rosaries that are 'pre-blessed'? We will be in Rome a short time and I believe that the Pope will be at his summer residence at that time. Although I am not Catholic, I would like to pick up a rosary as a christening gift.

Actually I think they do but there is a limited variety.

You can also purchase your rosary at one of the Vatican shops and have it (or any other devotional item) blessed yourself by attending any the following:

The Wednesday Papal audience (tickets are free - http://www.papalaudience.org/tickets)

The Sunday Angelus - (Sundays & Holy Days - noon - from window of his study overlooking St. Peter's Square). At the conclusion of the Angelus, Pope Francis will give his Apostolic Blessing (this extends to you, your loved ones, and any devotional items that you have brought to be blessed).

any Papal Mass

We will be there for both events.

I must have misunderstood. I thought these are rosary that the Pope blesses personally one by one. :D

This answer may seem like I am splitting hairs but, actually no, you cannot purchase a pre-blessed rosary. No reputable shop in Rome will sell you a pre-blessed rosary because it is a sin (the Catechism of Catholicism calls it simony) to buy/sell any devotional item that is pre-blessed. You can, however, contact one of the reputable devotional shops near the Vatican - they will sell you the rosary and then they will take it to the next Papal Audience and have it blessed for you (should be no additional charge). You can contact one of the stores online, purchase and pay for your rosary & then pick-up your rosary during your visit to Rome.

I admit, I am a cynic in things concerning organized religion.

The amount of garbage, kitsch and general "religious" cr.p they are selling around the Vatican in Rome as a whole, is mind boggling.

"blessed" rosaries and such? The poor man would have to do nothing but blessing the stuff 24/7.

I imaging him rocking up once or twice a year in Civitavecchia and bless a container ship from Taiwan. There you go! Blessed rosaries, bibles, statues, snow domes, key chains, bottle openers....

:halo:

I admit, I am a cynic in things concerning organized religion.

The amount of garbage, kitsch and general "religious" cr.p they are selling around the Vatican in Rome as a whole, is mind boggling.

"blessed" rosaries and such? The poor man would have to do nothing but blessing the stuff 24/7.

I imaging him rocking up once or twice a year in Civitavecchia and bless a container ship from Taiwan. There you go! Blessed rosaries, bibles, statues, snow domes, key chains, bottle openers....

Then why even comment?

Check any Rotary Beads you buy in Roma especially near the Vatican that they are not made in China !!! The genuine rotary beads are made by the Sisters of the Holy Refrectory, a holy owned subsidiary of the Vatican Candle factory !!!!!

Check any Rotary Beads you buy in Roma especially near the Vatican that they are not made in China !!! The genuine rotary beads are made by the Sisters of the Holy Refrectory, a holy owned subsidiary of the Vatican Candle factory !!!!!

Thank you for this advice!

lifeasme123

FYI: Just for clarification ... There are shops inside the Basilica that are run by nuns but I have never heard of a Catholic religious order by the name of "Sisters of the Holy Refrectory" (there is no such thing as a refrectory and a refectory is a dining hall - "Sisters of the Holy Dining Hall"? - I think not) and a google search does not reveal any such order. Same for the Vatican Candle factory. There is no such 'animal' as an "authentic rosary" as they are made from various materials (murano glass, coral, lapis, silver, etc.) and offered at a variety of prices.

If you are interested in purchasing a rosary or other devotional item & do not wish to enter the Basilica, the shop to the right of the Basilica entrance & the shops immediately outside the square are, IMHO, reputable shops - you will do fine. I would just advise that you compare prices.

They are gradually phasing out the candles in all the Duomos in Italia , so the Vaticano candle factory is indeed deceased. Tourists now pay 2 Euros to place a battery powered flickering candle, that is re charged by the Sisters overnight all ready for the next days tourist throng .

They are gradually phasing out the candles in all the Duomos in Italia , so the Vaticano candle factory is indeed deceased. Tourists now pay 2 Euros to place a battery powered flickering candle, that is re charged by the Sisters overnight all ready for the next days tourist throng .

I may be alone on this, but I find battery powered flickering candle tacky for Church. My mom wants to light a candle for my brother and her parents. I will let her know it's not a real candle. thanks for the info.

Actually I think they do but there is a limited variety.

We were at the Vatican on Good Friday, and my friend asked about pre-blessed rosaries. They don't sell them; you have to make arrangements for this after purchase.

I was raised Catholic and this made me :')

We were at the Vatican on Good Friday, and my friend asked about pre-blessed rosaries. They don't sell them; you have to make arrangements for this after purchase.

That must have been great being at the Vatican on Good Friday. Did you find any places you would recommend to buy Rosary Beads? I am not overly concerned about the Pope blessing them. We are there in the summer so not even sure he will be in town.

That must have been great being at the Vatican on Good Friday. Did you find any places you would recommend to buy Rosary Beads? I am not overly concerned about the Pope blessing them. We are there in the summer so not even sure he will be in town.

Early morning is very peaceful in the Basilica. Gift shop is to the right of the church entrance. There are little shops along the route through th museum, too.

You can access the Vatican shop from outside (no tour) you can get Rosary Bead ranging from inexpensive to $100's of dollars. You can also send your beads for blessing my the Pope and pick your Rosary up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is paying to have your beads blessed by the Pope any difference from indulgences. If you do not know what this implies, look it up in Wikipedia.

DON

Is paying to have your beads blessed by the Pope any difference from indulgences. If you do not know what this implies, look it up in Wikipedia.

DON

I think not because you are buying the rosary beads that happen to be blessed by the pope. Btw, I have been following this thread and i think that if someone wants to buy rosary beads or any other religious symbol and would like advice on how to do so, just give the advice and forget your feelings or opinions about it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

DON

Are you referring to the sale of an indulgence? Such practices have been abolished for about 500 years.

You are NOT paying to have your beads blessed by the Pope - you are paying only for the beads. Many shops will take your beads to be blessed after you have purchased the beads - there is no charge for the blessing and, yes, I am very familiar with the definition and history of indulgences, thank you. Purchasing your beads at a shop and then having them blessed (at no cost) is not in any way associated with the sale of an indulgence. The Council of Trent abolished the sale of indulgences for profit and Pius V abolished the granting of indulgences that involved any fees for attaining said indulgence.

DON

Perhaps you should find another source than Wikipedia if you think "indulgences" are the same as purchasing rosary beads to be blessed by the Pope. I don't believe that people are buying rosary beads to be blessed by the Pope to keep family members and friends from going to hell. As we say here in Texas, "haters gonna hate.