Give me your top 5 excursions, under $200 pp.

cruisePack842

Nieuw Amsterdam, inside passage, late August. Stops at Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchican. We're too old for the real physical stuff, but we could do a fair amount of walking. The scenic and cultural excursions would be great. Love a good beer, as well, so your "best bars" would also help.

Any tips on the best way to purchase are appreciated, especially the White Pass train.

Thank you for any and all help. Our second cruise in 20 years. I love planning trips.

Hi there

Welcome to cruise critic.

I would suggest you start your search by going to the "port of call" threads on this site. (on the main forum page) You will find links for "Alaska" and (Canada (Alaska/Pacific costal), there you will find answers to your specific questions. Comments are there for each of your ports. Also be sure to check the information at the North American homeports/ West coast departure threads. You will find these on that same main forum page. If you take the time to research these forums you will make your planning much easier.

Personally in Skagway we rented a car instead of taking the train. We really enjoyed that option, but you can decide for yourself, there will be many threads specifically discussing each choice.

good luck with your search and

have a great cruise

Excellent post Nic6318.

The Alaska board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

cruisePack842, give some thought to the fact you don't have to do any excursions at all...you can do some of these things on your own, including wondering around town, and walking into a bar and having a beer. Would take the budget issue out of play very easily.

In Ketchikan the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour...book this directly with them no need to book through the ship.

Use Chilkoot to book your White Pass Railroad tour.

Great fish-n-chips next to the lumberjack show at the Alaska Fish Company....And candy at Ketchikan Candies or in Juneau Alaska Fudge Company. Also crab legs at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Beer great at Skagway Brewing Company in Skagway.

Thank you, Ashland. That's the personal experiences I'm looking for.

And Nic, I've been reading that link. I thought I'd get a different crowd of respondents here. But thanks.

Edited by cruisePack842
clarity

Thank you, Ashland. That's the personal experiences I'm looking for.

And Nic, I've been reading that link. I thought I'd get a different crowd of respondents here. But thanks.

My pleasure....I've been and continue to be helped so much by the members on CC so it's always nice to pay it forward.

Have a happy healthy cruise.

Whale-watching tour in Juneau (preferably a very small boat if that's doable for you). While every trip is different, both of our whale-watching trips here turned out excellent. And if the weather cooperates, you could ride the Mt. Roberts tram. You can buy tickets right there by the cruise pier; no need to pre-purchase.

A little above your cut-off but a great excursion in Ketchikan is a Misty Fjords flightseeing trip.

Nieuw Amsterdam, inside passage, late August. Stops at Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchican. We're too old for the real physical stuff, but we could do a fair amount of walking. The scenic and cultural excursions would be great. Love a good beer, as well, so your "best bars" would also help.

Any tips on the best way to purchase are appreciated, especially the White Pass train.

Thank you for any and all help. Our second cruise in 20 years. I love planning trips.

We bought our White Pass train tickets online.

In Juneau have a beer at Red Dog saloon.

If you haven't yet discovered the Alaska Forum on CC, do so.

. Lots of info there.

In Ketchikan the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour...book this directly with them no need to book through the ship.

Use Chilkoot to book your White Pass Railroad tour.

Great fish-n-chips next to the lumberjack show at the Alaska Fish Company....And candy at Ketchikan Candies or in Juneau Alaska Fudge Company. Also crab legs at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Beer great at Skagway Brewing Company in Skagway.

Just a second here for the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan - fabulous!