celebrity dress code help

glendale

I've seen men in 'dress shorts' in the MDR on the first night of cruises and I've seen men trying to get in and failing when they wear 'dress shorts' after the first night.

I always wear shorts on the first (only) evening. I too have seen men and boys denied entry into the MDR in the evening after the first night.:D

Just off the reflection yesterday. We were in Aqua class so had Blu dining (which was wonderful). But the dress code on regular nights we saw everything (YES we saw shorts in there). On Chic night we saw one person in a tux, few with ties and jackets, but truthfully most people were in dockers/dress pants and button down/polo shirts. Of course the women were a little more dressy. Like chic night I wore heels, but sandals the other nights. Blu breakfast and Main dining breakfast we ate both. You could wear your bathing suit with a cover up in either one.

From the Celebrity site FAQ...

What is the onboard dress code?

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• • A cocktail dress
  • • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

...I contacted a customer service rep at Celebrity regarding the dining room dress code and was told it was totally acceptable for men to wear dress shorts with a collared shirt in the dining room for the regular nights (not the chic nights)...

I dare you to call Celebrity several times and see how many different answers you get. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
The first night, I DO understand.(luggage issues) After that, NO! Yes, I've seen pax who wait until a staff member is "occupied" & then they try to sneak in. If I'm there, I will quickly get the Maître D' s attention & the pax is asked to go back & put on long pants. Yes I WILL speak up. If others don't like it, T/S. There is NO such thing as "dress" shorts, by the way. Please don't post stupid endless pics of Bermuda shorts, Thank You!

Guess the British are wrong?

The first night, I DO understand.(luggage issues) After that, NO! Yes, I've seen pax who wait until a staff member is "occupied" & then they try to sneak in. If I'm there, I will quickly get the Maître D' s attention & the pax is asked to go back & put on long pants. Yes I WILL speak up. If others don't like it, T/S. There is NO such thing as "dress" shorts, by the way. Please don't post stupid endless pics of Bermuda shorts, Thank You!

Interesting comments.

Just curious, what does T/S mean? Please explain.

And, why do you feel the need for you to report to Maitre D' what another PAX is wearing?

FWIW, I follow the cruise line's posted attire rules for dining in MDR, but I am not judgemental what other PAX wear. I do not know their reasons, and what PAX choose to wear does not lesson my enjoyment of dinner.

Does it to you i.e. enjoyment of your food?

Thank you for explaining.

I am old, and follow the cruise line rules, if I can remember them. :)

Interesting comments.

Just curious, what does T/S mean? Please explain.

And, why do you feel the need for you to report to Maitre D' what another PAX is wearing?

FWIW, I follow the cruise line's posted attire rules for dining in MDR, but I am not judgemental what other PAX wear. I do not know their reasons, and what PAX choose to wear does not lesson my enjoyment of dinner.

Does it to you i.e. enjoyment of your food?

Thank you for explaining.

I am old, and follow the cruise line rules, if I can remember them. :)

Some on here are ranking members of the fashion police. It's a thankless job;p

Just curious what's the the ruling on men wearing kilts?

Some on here are ranking members of the fashion police. It's a thankless job;p

Just curious.

Please call out who are the ranking members of the fashion police. Are they in the majority here?

Also, on my next cruise, (15 day Panama Canal, in October), I want to bring and wear a solid colored Mexican Guayabera, (have two shirts: one white linen, and one black linen/cotton). Prefer not to bring a suit and tie.

Is wearing a Guayabera considered OK for Formal Night dining in the MDR? It is short sleeve open collar, and worn without a tie. I wear it with matching or contrasting linen pants. I find it very comfortable, and wear it to many Mexican, and White people, weddings in the Americas.

Thank you.

I agree with most of what has already been said. What others wear doesn't affect how my meal tastes. The first night we go to MDR as we are eventhough we usually have our luggage and could change. I may be old fashioned but I think rules are there and I generally follow them. My husband doesn't like to dress up and is relieved that there are no formal nights on most of Celebrity's cruises any more. On our last cruise just last week, even the little boys had on long pants in the MDR. We didn't see anyone turned away for any reason, except for one man who was obviously drunk and boisterous.

Where is the like button?

Though the days of formal dress being required are over, people could at least have a sense of decorum and behave appropriately in a public setting. To me, the fact that these people were loud is even more off-putting than seeing them in shorts and t-shirts at Dinner. As for the man asking if he was supposed to wear pants - oh please. Sounds more like his attempt to address his willful ignorance than a sincere question, he just had to look around him to figure that out. But it is unfortunate that some can't even follow the relaxed dress code and put on a pair of pants and at least a collared polo shirt for males, and even a nice sundress, at minimum, would be appropriate and follow the guidelines for ladies, especially on Chic night. Just mho.

This is part of the problem, not the solution.

Right - because certainly the food in the main dining room always tastes better on formal nights when people aren't wearing shorts and t-shirts.

It's my vacation and I'll wear what I want to (and I promise not to try to embarrass people by staring at those of you dressed in formal wear).

If you don't like the idea of wearing shorts and t-shirts in the main dining room then don't wear them.

Just curious.

Please call out who are the ranking members of the fashion police. Are they in the majority here?

Also, on my next cruise, (15 day Panama Canal, in October), I want to bring and wear a solid colored Mexican Guayabera, (have two shirts: one white linen, and one black linen/cotton). Prefer not to bring a suit and tie.

Is wearing a Guayabera considered OK for Formal Night dining in the MDR? It is short sleeve open collar, and worn without a tie. I wear it with matching or contrasting linen pants. I find it very comfortable, and wear it to many Mexican, and White people, weddings in the Americas.

Thank you.

The fashion police seem to be very vocal here on Cruise Critic but thankfully not on board any ship we've ever sailed. There are no more formal nights on Celebrity. It sounds like the outfit you describe will be perfectly acceptable for either Evening Chic nights which replace formal, or for the other night, which I believe are Casual elegant (whatever that is). You will see a very wide variety of acceptable choices on board ranging from Tuxedos to "designer jeans" with the vast majority somewhere in between.

Just because someone is wearing a tux or an evening gown doesn't mean they have manners. One such couple on our cruise was so obnoxious they were asked to settle down. Most of the to do was over others not being super dressed up as they were.

I don't care what anyone else wears, except my husband of course, as I choose all his clothes anyway!!! We do like to dress up in totally formal gear on Chic nights, but do not mind if others don't. It is a holiday after all so why stress about other people's attire?

I would, however, like clarification on how many Chic nights there will be on a 14 nighter. I assumed 3 but see some people think it will be 2.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't care what anyone else wears, except my husband of course, as I choose all his clothes anyway!!! We do like to dress up in totally formal gear on Chic nights, but do not mind if others don't. It is a holiday after all so why stress about other people's attire?

I would, however, like clarification on how many Chic nights there will be on a 14 nighter. I assumed 3 but see some people think it will be 2.

Just curious, why do you have to choose all of your husband's clothes?:o

Has it always been that way?

Enjoy your cruise whatever you wear.

We had 3 Chic Nights on our 13 night Canaries cruise last year on the Eclipse

The Celebrity website states:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

As others have indicated, some ships will ignore this on occasion and offer a third. I've never experienced it, but I probably would pack any differently if I found out that a third was to be offered.

Just curious, why do you have to choose all of your husband's clothes?:o

Has it always been that way?

Enjoy your cruise whatever you wear.

He's somewhat colour blind and can't seem to match anything!

I agree, that people should wear what they are comfortable in and not worry about what others are wearing. I contacted a customer service rep at Celebrity regarding the dining room dress code and was told it was totally acceptable for men to wear dress shorts with a collared shirt in the dining room for the regular nights (not the chic nights) My husband does not enjoy dressing up as he has to wear an ankle/foot brace that only fits inside a pair of sneakers, so he cannot wear anything but sneakers, and sneakers look a lot better with shorts than dress slacks. On the chic nights, we will eat at the buffet, or he will be wearing dress slacks with sneakers to the dining room, and I am sure there are some that will comment about that too.

Sneakers look great with a pair of casual slacks like khakis and would make a lot more sense (to me) than shorts or dress slacks.

Sneakers look great with a pair of casual slacks like khakis and would make a lot more sense (to me) than shorts or dress slacks.

My husband wore sandals the last 3 or 4 nights of our 7 day cruise. No comments, no stares, nothing. I think a lot of folks here are overthinking this entire MDR/dress code thing.

My husband wore sandals the last 3 or 4 nights of our 7 day cruise. No comments, no stares, nothing. I think a lot of folks here are overthinking this entire MDR/dress code thing.

Yep. Hey, I for sure am not the fashion police, but was offering a suggestion to wearing shorts or dress slacks with sneakers that had not been mentioned.

I am going on an Alaskan cruise in September, the "dressiest" I will be is in comfy princess heels with slacks and blouse. Others can wear sandals or diamond studded heels, each to his own. I am not bringing anything I have to worry about; I bought a cheap watch last week, I may wear earrings (if I remember), because I am on my vacation and that means (FOR ME) laid back and very comfortable. I love meeting new people from all over the world, but (depending on the weather), I hope to eat a lot of meals on the balcony, enjoying the sea (fingers crossed).

Ok, let's amp this up a little.

What are "designer jeans" ?

@:Warfs

You are a woman? Or a man?

Usually looks best on the young, slim and fit. ;). Just saying.

http://www.upscalejeans.com/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designer_clothing

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947