celebrity dress code help

glendale

My husband is not bringing a jacket. On our first cruise a few years ago, Celebrity lost one of our bags...including his jacket, so he didn't have one to wear even on formal night. So the next year we didn't bring one and no one said a thing. Now we the relaxed dress code, we won't bring one.

If you get a hard core Maître D, you might get refused entry to the MDR(at least on the Eclipse)I'd bring a sport coat & avoid the potential embarrassment.

Simply not true. I think you were confused or misunderstood the "Evening Chic" requirements. I will say that we've seen evidence of Celebrity putting an old description in the daily newsletter, but that is a mistake that can be clarified with staff if it happens.

We SAW the Old description as you call it on our Jan.22 cruise on the Eclipse. That ship seems to follow a more dressy style than the others. Saying it doesn't, is pure B/S. We've seen it the 3 times we've cruised it. The smart casual is pretty much as advertised...Khakis & collared shirts. The 3'rd Chic night seems to be the one where pax really went all out. The first 2 Chic nights were standard sport coat style: A few tuxes & few suits a fair amount of coat & no ties. Some staff barred some pax from the dining room on Chic nights if at least a dress shirt wasn't worn. Shorts, thank God, were NOT allowed a night. Some pax tried to sneak in, but were caught. I mean during the day, fine, but at night? Show a little class, is it that hard?

If you get a hard core Maître D, you might get refused entry to the MDR(at least on the Eclipse)I'd bring a sport coat & avoid the potential embarrassment.

Hi there

Considering it is listed on their website that you don't need a jacket, it would be hard to imagine how the maître d' could expect to change the policy without some form of pushback. I know I am not bringing a jacket and if I were refused entry to the MDR because of it, they would end up supplying me with a jacket (I'm easy, I would wear one if they loaned me one) or compensating me satisfactorily.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Short answer is no. Here is what Celebrity is suggesting.

What is the onboard dress code?

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• • A cocktail dress
  • • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Nice to see you print the code as it REALLY is. Some like to quietly "omit" a phrase here & there.

I have to use my experiences on the Eclipse. For Chic nights, most men wore at least a sport coat & tie. On the last Chic night, I'd say about 40% had a tux(Jan.22 cruise) The rest had suits(like us)a few had no coat & had nice shirts & slacks. A few had nice shirts, slacks & had a tie(different, but it worked) very few wore jeans on the Chic nights, but quite a few on smart casual nights. Shorts were generally relegated to the buffet & a few in the theater(sorry, but those few really stood out)The last Chic night seems to be the one that really stood out for really smart evening wear. Most women were quite dazzling in their various arrays of dress. You don't have to wear a coat on Chic night, but you'll stand out as too under dressed if you don't.

Thanks for your input ,this is what I experienced Nd saw on my recent trip on the eclipse.

The dress code couldn't be any clearer: coat is optional for men. End of story. If there is a rogue band of employees trying to enforce a different standard, I'd be pushing the issue up the chain real quick. I honor the cruise line's dress code using the info they supply before I get on the ship.

We SAW the Old description as you call it on our Jan.22 cruise on the Eclipse. That ship seems to follow a more dressy style than the

Some staff barred some pax from the dining room on Chic nights if at least a dress shirt .

We have done the 14 night Eclipse Jan.cruise the last three years. I never saw anyone stopped on chic nights for anything they chose to wear. ( NOT referring to shorts and t shirts) We did see Tommy Bahama and golf shirts as opposed to long sleeved dress shirts. I didn't notice that any chic night was dressier than others. Very small % of tuxes. Sport coats with or without tie and suits were popular. But those choosing not to wear a jacket looked ok. There's a lot of variety. DH pointed out that the older cruisers tended to dress up more. Maybe they just have a more traditional view of "chic". No right or wrong.

I wear business casual on chic nights and that is all that I pack. Not an issue.

Absolutely correct. That's all I pack too and there is no issue at all with not wearing a tie or jacket. If you do want to dress up of course, that's up to you and not an issue either. This is all clearly stated on the Celebrity website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The dress code couldn't be any clearer: coat is optional for men. End of story. If there is a rogue band of employees trying to enforce a different standard, I'd be pushing the issue up the chain real quick. I honor the cruise line's dress code using the info they supply before I get on the ship.

+1. Stated absolutely correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the Ecliose last autumn we saw one large family who wore casual t-shirts and jeans on each of the Chic nights in the MDR. Certainly the exception and they did stand out because they were so casually dressed in the MDR, but they were allowed to dine in the restaurant.

There was no sudden hush as they walked in, food was still very nice, and everyone in the MDR still had a great time.

Thanks for your input ,this is what I experienced Nd saw on my recent trip on the eclipse.

What is worn by people will be very much dependent on the itinerary. Our Alaska cruise very few wore jackets, tuxes. Bermuda almost no tuxes, more jackets but still lots of people without jackets. Pretty much the same in the Caribbean. I outsourced the informal counting of clothes to the wife who does not do Cruise Critic and doesn't care about the controversy. Those groupings are directly from her, not me.

Sometimes people draw conclusions by what they selectively choose for their sample size. I see lots of people with tux and jackets for men and also full gowns for women, and I also see lots of people who are dressed like me - which is for comfort and within their published guidelines. You may do whatever you wish as long as it is within the published guidelines. Heck, one couple came in shorts and t shirts, and were totally loud mouthed, sat at our table in MDR on chic night. He even asked us if he was supposed to wear long pants, and we all said yes. He then moved on to another topic.

We're going on our first Celebrity cruise in June after many years cruising on Royal and are THRILLED with not having to carry FORMAL wear. My Grandson was 3 on his first cruise and even he was dressed in a suit. On our June cruise, he will not have to stuff a suit, dress shoes, ties, shirts, etc. into his suitcase, which is great since he's now 23, 6' tall and this takes up a great deal of room in the luggage. I've watched the dress code threads carefully since we booked this cruise, almost a year ago. When the dress code changed, I saw a lot of people who were extremely upset, vowing to continue to wear formal attire and seemed rather intimidating about how they felt anything less than a tux and formal gown would ruin their cruise experience. Wanting the cruise line to change the dress code back to formal isn't going to happen. They're still free to dress to the nines, if that is their choice, but it will be strictly a personal choice if they do...and not the requirement of Celebrity. That seems to be very clear at this point in time.

We're going on our first Celebrity cruise in June after many years cruising on Royal and are THRILLED with not having to carry FORMAL wear. My Grandson was 3 on his first cruise and even he was dressed in a suit. On our June cruise, he will not have to stuff a suit, dress shoes, ties, shirts, etc. into his suitcase, which is great since he's now 23, 6' tall and this takes up a great deal of room in the luggage. I've watched the dress code threads carefully since we booked this cruise, almost a year ago. When the dress code changed, I saw a lot of people who were extremely upset, vowing to continue to wear formal attire and seemed rather intimidating about how they felt anything less than a tux and formal gown would ruin their cruise experience. Wanting the cruise line to change the dress code back to formal isn't going to happen. They're still free to dress to the nines, if that is their choice, but it will be strictly a personal choice if they do...and not the requirement of Celebrity. That seems to be very clear at this point in time.

When the Maitre D visited our table on one Chic night last year a couple on our table did say they wished that Formal Night hadn't gone and the Maite D did say that a few people had mentioned it. This was early days I suppose and maybe people's first cruise with Evening Chic.

It would be sad if anyone genuinely believed their cruise experience had been ruined because of a relaxing of the dress code (First World problems...). I used to find it interesting that given that Formal Dress (before it was abolished) only applied to the MDR and that several (not all) of the most vociferous advocates for Formal Night were people who admitted they didn't dine on the MDR (dining in Luminae or Blu, where that dress code did not apply). I really couldn't understand why anyone who never dines in the MDR would give a second thought to what someone was or was not wearing elsewhere in the ship.

I just got off Silhouette a few weeks ago. I was planning to rent a tux for the trip until I read here about the chic nights. Celebrity never really notified us about it unless you go search thru their website. So I decided to just take a sport coat with me. BTW, it is $8 onboard to have your coat pressed if anyone wants to know. And if you want same day service, it's 50% more $12.

On my previous cruise, Disney, about 20% of men wear Tux and the rest suit or sport coat. On Chic night at Silhouette, I think less than 5% of men wear Tux, 60% wear coat or suit, the rest without jacket. About 60% men has a tie. I don't think I see anyone wearing T-shirt or shorts. I think most people are dressing business casual. I only bought 1 coat, so on the 2nd chic night, I didn't wear a coat and I don't really feel out of place.

Agree.

Sometimes people draw conclusions by what they selectively choose for their sample size. I see lots of people with tux and jackets for men and also full gowns for women, and I also see lots of people who are dressed like me - which is for comfort and within their published guidelines. You may do whatever you wish as long as it is within the published guidelines. Heck, one couple came in shorts and t shirts, and were totally loud mouthed, sat at our table in MDR on chic night. He even asked us if he was supposed to wear long pants, and we all said yes. He then moved on to another topic.

Though the days of formal dress being required are over, people could at least have a sense of decorum and behave appropriately in a public setting. To me, the fact that these people were loud is even more off-putting than seeing them in shorts and t-shirts at Dinner. As for the man asking if he was supposed to wear pants - oh please. Sounds more like his attempt to address his willful ignorance than a sincere question, he just had to look around him to figure that out. But it is unfortunate that some can't even follow the relaxed dress code and put on a pair of pants and at least a collared polo shirt for males, and even a nice sundress, at minimum, would be appropriate and follow the guidelines for ladies, especially on Chic night. Just mho.

We are cruising on the Summit in September and dining in Blu (which we always do.) On past cruises I have always insisted my husband wear a suit on formal night or whatever they call it now. I wear a cocktail dress. He has put his foot down and said no more. He'll wear a pair of slacks and nice shirt but that's it.

Yes, everyone is entitled to look as scruffy as he likes and come here and encourage others to do the same. To each his own.;p

Most people still make an effort but the recruiting continues. I don't understand why people still feel the need to justify what they wear. Just own it!:)

Yes, everyone is entitled to look as scruffy as he likes and come here and encourage others to do the same. To each his own.;p

Most people still make an effort but the recruiting continues. I don't understand why people still feel the need to justify what they wear. Just own it!:)

That works both ways. Just substitute "overdressed" for "scruffy".

That works both ways. Just substitute "overdressed" for "scruffy".

I would have said trashy, not scruffy. Scruffy is Brad Pitt/George Clooney with a few days beard growth. Trashy was dining with the family with the loud mouth husband all dressed in shorts & T's. THAT'S trashy!

Edited by keithm
additions