Why is MSC Seaside so cheap?

aflyingbuttress

I'm looking to book a cruise and came across the MSC Seaside out of Miami in January. I was shocked to see I could book a suite for significantly less than a balcony on RCI or NCL. I've never sailed MSC before and know nothing about them. Is this typical? Is the quality good? They seem high quality so that payed into my surprise as well.

The competition in Miami is getting intense. RCCL is building a new (beautiful) terminal and is bringing Harmony OTS to Miami. NCL will have Escape and Bliss (their newest North America ships) taking seasonal turns in Miami.

MSC is upgrading their terminal for Seaside and Meraviglia (MSC's newest ships) which will be in Miami in the future.

Even Carnival has new ships on the way.

MSC (less known in North America) is smartly keeping prices lower than the competition to attract new customers. The Yacht Club is successfully stealing guests from NCL's Haven which continues to raise prices.

Plus, they are a privately held company. They aren't beholden to investors to make huge profits every quarter. I think this plays into the pricing as well. And from what I have read, their drinks prices are still reasonable and offer other perks that other cruises have cut.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

Well if MSC keep the beds on Seaside like those on Splendida and Fantasia, they as comfortable as those on RCI imho. They are better in the fact that they are not curved at the end so don't feel too short which is what I've felt on RCI on occasions.

A queen would be fine lol. But the website says it's a double.

MSC Yacht Club Royal Suite - Queen bed,*

MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Suite - Queen bed,*

MSC Yacht Club Interior Suite - Queen bed,*

Grand Suite - Each suite is equipped with a queen bed* (bedroom 1), two single beds (bedroom 2)

Suite with Whirlpool Bath - Queen bed,*

Suite - Queen bed,*

Balcony - Queen bed,*

Ocean View - Queen bed,*

Interior - Queen bed,*

*Queen bed can be converted to two single beds on request.

LINK to MSC site

You should be good to go. :D

Thanks. That all makes sense. The ship looks beautiful. I was about to book it until I saw that the bed in the room is only a double. My husband and I would be miserable on that. :(

In Australia the bed would be called king size and they are in every room. The size of two full sized singles put together. My husband and I have found them to be the biggest of the beds we have cruised on.

Thanks for the link. I was looking here: https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Seaside/Cabin-And-Suites.aspx

Which shows the beds as "double that can be converted to single". I see now that the link has "en-gl" in it so I suppose I was not on the page geared towards Americans.

MSC Yacht Club Royal Suite - Queen bed,*

MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Suite - Queen bed,*

MSC Yacht Club Interior Suite - Queen bed,*

Grand Suite - Each suite is equipped with a queen bed* (bedroom 1), two single beds (bedroom 2)

Suite with Whirlpool Bath - Queen bed,*

Suite - Queen bed,*

Balcony - Queen bed,*

Ocean View - Queen bed,*

Interior - Queen bed,*

*Queen bed can be converted to two single beds on request.

LINK to MSC site

You should be good to go. :D

In Australia the bed would be called king size and they are in every room. The size of two full sized singles put together. My husband and I have found them to be the biggest of the beds we have cruised on.

Ah! That makes sense. I did not know they were called something different.

We always found MSC fares cheaper than most of other lines. I guess they are trying to win North American market.

We enjoyed both of our cruises with them a lot.

We have sailed on MSC Divina and I'm sure Seaside's beds will be the same. My husband is 6'4" and was perfectly comfortable (as was I.) As another poster has mentioned, the beds are normal beds, not the rounded corners like Celebrity has. You will both sleep comfortably.

Thanks. That all makes sense. The ship looks beautiful. I was about to book it until I saw that the bed in the room is only a double. My husband and I would be miserable on that. :(

Its called a double but they are the same width as other cruise lines. I can't sleep on a double with my wife and we had no issues on the Divina. The bed was more comfortable than the beds on the last two RCI cruises we've been on.

Dave

We have sailed on MSC Divina and I'm sure Seaside's beds will be the same. My husband is 6'4" and was perfectly comfortable (as was I.) As another poster has mentioned, the beds are normal beds, not the rounded corners like Celebrity has. You will both sleep comfortably.

Now that I understand that it is not really a double bed the way Americans think of it, I am not worried about fitting.

They are looking to dent north america. They will higher soon.

MSC prices have already gone up comparing to 2016. Remember the 2 4 1 balcony sale last year? It was practically a give away deal. Better lock in the good deals before you miss the boat (or ship).

I agree with sfaaa - make the most of the good prices as they've been creeping up steadily here since we began sailing with MSC in 2011.

It was bound to happen when most of the sales promotions incorporate the all-inclusive drinks package, the cost of same being built in to the price, thereby insuring passengers purchasing it whether they want it or not.