Fly into Mia for fll cruise

We are just staying to plan our allure cruise for my wife and two teenage boys for sitting break next year, but got sticker shock on flights at this point. Right now it is 760pp to fly into fll, but 510 to go into Mia. We are planning on going in Saturday for a Sunday cruise. Is it close enough that Uber would make sense to fll? Another idea was renting a car, just wondering if there is a place at the Port in FLL to return it? Better to stay in Mia, or fll? Anything else we should think about?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

The ride would be 40 minutes to get from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale....hotels are more costly in Miami, renting a car is a pain because you will have to return it then get to the port for the ship, keep it simple and less time, go into Ft. Lauderdale and no need to rent a car either.

Returning a rental car to Port Everglades is easy especially if you rented it from Avis.

There is a drop off location at the Hyatt Pier 66 located no more than 5-10 minutes from the port. We usually drop the luggage off at the ship then return the car and then hop the free shuttle back to the ship. (We find this easier than schlepping luggage in and out of the car then shuttle bus).

Even easier if you're actually staying at that Hyatt!

2301 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, USA

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Returning a rental car to Port Everglades is easy especially if you rented it from Avis.

There is a drop off location at the Marriott Pier 66 located no more than 5-10 minutes from the port. We usually drop the luggage off at the ship then return the car and then hop the free shuttle back to the ship. (We find this easier than schlepping luggage in and out of the car then shuttle bus).

Even easier if you're actually staying at that Marriott!

2301 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, USA

Unless it's recently changed hands, Avis is at the Hyatt Pier 66.

MIA is about 22 miles from Ft. Lauderdale. Uber is fine. Should be in the $40.00 range for an Uber X, if you have large bags you might need an Uber XL that will be closer to $80.00

Its way to early to book flights, you are close to a year out. I assuming "sitting" break is spring break?

The ride would be 40 minutes to get from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale....hotels are more costly in Miami, renting a car is a pain because you will have to return it then get to the port for the ship, keep it simple and less time, go into Ft. Lauderdale and no need to rent a car either.

It's not that big a deal returning the car depending on who you rent with.

We rent with Budget and drop the car off very close to the port and they shuttle us to the pier.

Also for the OP. Is their airline pricing out already for next year around this time?

Bill

Thanks for all the replies. The flights are out, at least on Google flights for united and American. Wasn't planning on booking now, going to start watching prices so I can know when and where to fly to. We can go as early as Thursday night, as the boys have Friday off before spring break, so we'll see what makes sense. Dint want to fly same day we leave, however.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Don't get your flights, the cruise is too far out and they always make changes.....I don't know what time of the year you will travel but purchasing airfare in early January to early February, then mid April to may and august to October I find the best airfares...stay away from United they are not reliable, and never fly the same day of the cruise, best to go the night before.

Look at West Palm too (PBI). We have flown into PBI, rented a one-way car rental and stayed at a pre-cruise hotel in Fort Lauderdale. The savings can be substantial depending on the whim of the gods that make up the ever-changing airfare rates. (Flying home look at FLL, or MIA. If you fly home from PBI factor in more time to get there.)

For car rental we've had good experience with Budget. We return the car on 17th street near the Renaissance Hotel. Renaissance may be a good choice for overnight stay too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try looking at the Tri-Rail...look for the app. It runs from MIA - West PB.. round trip MIA-FLL weekend rate is $5pp. There is shuttle to FLL..you will need to pick a hotel with stay/cruise pkg which will handle the shuttle to hotel and port....(Hilton Marina or Embassy Suites..etc...there are several.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We take train all the time tri-rail go to port of call board for hotel ides but the Hampton inn cruise port nort is very nice and with ships and restaurants within walking distance, then in the money take urber or taxi to port instead of buying hotel transport

If you return a rental car to the FLL airport some of the rental car companies provide a free shuttle to the cruise ship port. We used this service on Alamo last year. Show your rental receipt to get on the shuttle. We dropped our bags at the ship first, then one person returned the car to the airport.

If you are going to drop your bags at the ship first, get to the port before 11:00. Later than that and you will be stuck in a long line trying to get through the front gate. (The shuttle buses have a separate entrance that avoids the line.)

purchasing airfare in early January to early February, then mid April to may and august to October I find the best airfares....

Also check pricing on days 3-4 following a full moon. Other good times are during the second week of the NFL pre-season and any days starting with a T in months that have 30 days.