Attitude toward cruisers?

IMHO, if a port city doesn't want cruisers, then don't allow the cruise ships to port there. I'm sure cruise lines can find other places to port who would enjoy the cruise passengers.

The cruise industry itself changes the nature of the ports which originally attracted it. Until a dozen or so years ago (which is about when the mega-ships came in and a port call meant a town had to accommodate hundreds, rather than today's thousands, of passengers, a cruise to Bermuda meant stops at St. George, with its wonderful beaches and great stores - including a branch of Trimingham's - and/or along Front Street in Hamilton - with its upscale shopping.

Now, very few ships can fit into St. George, and the crowds of bargain-hungry tee-shirt shoppers flood Dockyard - which used to be an historic site and is now a tourist trap reminiscent of the rest areas along interstate highways. Hamilton itself has changed from an upscale shopping mecca to just another crowded port most days of the cruising season.

What about Carnival Ecstasy (2,600 passengers), and, occasionally, Sunshine with 3,000 passengers loading and unloading ---- right in the old town every four days or so? Not technically a "port call" but certainly something to impact the "historic flavor".

Sorry...I meant as an embarkation port....cruise ships based there.

IMHO, if a port city doesn't want cruisers, then don't allow the cruise ships to port there. I'm sure cruise lines can find other places to port who would enjoy the cruise passengers.

Costa Maya Mexico, Falmouth Jamaica, Labadee Haiti to name just a few.

I suppose these ports "enjoy" the cruise passengers, but do those ports offer much for cruise passengers to enjoy?

I am inclined to think that there may be several entirely different cruise markets:

The mega ships which are destinations in themselves which need not make any ports at all - serving the "wow factor" fans.

The generic cruise port: Labadee, Falmouth, Half Moon Cay, etc. - which exist only for cruise ships.

The "real" ports - which would strictly limit the number of passengers allowed any particular day so that passengers can experience the place itself without being part of an overwhelming crowd which obscures what the port has to offer.

There is a subtle difference between tourists and travellers. Travellers tend to want to integrate into the local community, sample the native way of life, and eat and behave as a local, even if for only a day. Tourists, however, tend to operate on a 'to do list ' system, ticking off sights, cathedrals, castles etc, without ever fully understanding their true meaning. Most holiday makers fall into the tourist category, and cruisers are no different.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Absolutely! And, there are those who totally ignore that they are in a wonderful foreign port and head for the closest Señor Frogs or Hard Rock Cafe to drink themselves silly or head to a McDonalds because they want "American food." Or, those who post on CC and ask where are the best resorts that they can sneak into for free, or those who support the captive dolphin programs "because my daughter really wants to kiss a dolphin", or those to support the plethora of private shuttles who clutter the once-quiet roads. I always bring up Rome - hundreds of those damn Mercedes clogging up the areas around the Pantheon and other sites and how one family of ignorant and clueless "toorists" nearly took me out with the car door because they were so busy looking something that they did not realize there were people around. I sometimes want to reach into my computer and give a headslap to some posters.

Not all cruisers are toorists. But, there are enough of them to label all...

Also an ignorant statement to say cruise ships are the "bread and butter" of a port. Many of those ports had a thriving tourist business and it was in balance with the size of the towns and activities around. There used to be nice, mom & pop shops, not all the crap Tshirt stores, Margaritaville, Bubba Gump, and Diamonds International you see now.

I like to cruise, but I tread lightly and get as far away from the masses as possible at a port.

In the Outer Banks of NC locals call visitors "tourons". I wonder if these ports have similar nicknames for cruisers?

As a matter of fact, I grew up in Juneau and that's what we called them too.

At least once a week during the season, there are literally more cruise ship passengers in town than the local population. But it really is a blip economically. Especially considering how many of the shop owners and employees aren't local either.

At least once a week during the season, there are literally more cruise ship passengers in town than the local population. But it really is a blip economically. Especially considering how many of the shop owners and employees aren't local either.

Seasonal places like Alaska do rely on lots of temporary seasonal employees.

I use the bus in my town in the winter when I do not want to drive on snow-covered roads with tourons who think their rental SUV will magically drive itself straight and brake on ice... Quite a few of the bus drivers I talked with on my daily commute work in Alaska in summer, driving all those tour busses...

The environmental impact of these thousands of cruisers is huge, too, especially in a small port. The air pollution from all those extra busses and private shuttles, the garage they leave behind, both in garbage cans and laying around because they were too clueless to pack it until they found a can. I wonder about the water pollution from all those tenders back and forth. I'll bet most cruisers do not even think about their environmental footprint and they could have on a port.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the midst of planning a road trip for next year and am going up to Canada from Arizona stopping along the way for a few days or week at some places. I had planned to stop in Juneau for a week (renting a house there), but since they don't seem to like us tourists, I think I change and rent a house in another city. Thanks again for letting us know how they feel.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the midst of planning a road trip for next year and am going up to Canada from Arizona stopping along the way for a few days or week at some places. I had planned to stop in Juneau for a week (renting a house there), but since they don't seem to like us tourists, I think I change and rent a house in another city. Thanks again for letting us know how they feel.

How well did you think out getting to your "stop in Juneau" while on your road trip? Check your AAA route map carefully before changing your mind again.

How well did you think out getting to your "stop in Juneau" while on your road trip? Check your AAA route map carefully before changing your mind again.
Since I'm under no time constraints, I can take my time and that is why I was going to go to Alaska first and then on to Canada where I'll stay for a couple of weeks. I've already crossed it off my list, as there are way too many other places to rent a house for a week where they appreciate tourists and our money.

I'd be interested in your route to Juneau. Any plans on taking a ferry in your journey?

I imagine Juneau will manage another year without your custom!

There is a subtle difference between tourists and travellers. Travellers tend to want to integrate into the local community, sample the native way of life, and eat and behave as a local, even if for only a day. Tourists, however, tend to operate on a 'to do list ' system, ticking off sights, cathedrals, castles etc, without ever fully understanding their true meaning. Most holiday makers fall into the tourist category, and cruisers are no different.

Totally how we travel

I'd be interested in your route to Juneau. Any plans on taking a ferry in your journey?

I imagine Juneau will manage another year without your custom!

Yes, I was going to take the Bellingham to Juneau Ferry. It's three days and a little pricey (around $1,500 for me, my dog and my car), but I thought it would be fun, as I'v never done a ferry before. And in case you wanted to know, the house I was looking to rent was on the shore at Tee Harbor

I'm sure they will do just fine without my vacation dollars.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Yes, I was going to take the Bellingham to Juneau Ferry. It's three days and a little pricey (around $1,500 for me, my dog and my car), but I thought it would be fun, as I'v never done a ferry before. And in case you wanted to know, the house I was looking to rent was on the shore at Tee Harbor

I'm sure they will do just fine without my vacation dollars.

Taking a three day ferry trip from Bellingham, Washington to Juneau, Alaska would have been an unusual way to take your previously-mentioned "...road trip ... to Canada from Arizona" - particularly as there is no road from Juneau to Canada.

Taking a three day ferry trip from Bellingham, Washington to Juneau, Alaska would have been an unusual way to take your previously-mentioned "...road trip ... to Canada from Arizona" - particularly as there is no road from Juneau to Canada.
I'm taking my car and we are driving from Arizona to Canada with a side trip to Alaska, just because a portion is on the ferry (to and from Juneau), it doesn't negate the rest of the road trip and I would have had my car in Juneau! Edited by NLH Arizona

Since I'm under no time constraints, I can take my time and that is why I was going to go to Alaska first and then on to Canada where I'll stay for a couple of weeks. I've already crossed it off my list, as there are way too many other places to rent a house for a week where they appreciate tourists and our money.

See, that is a poor attitude. They don't like ignorant tourists who flit in for a day, have no interest in the town other than being a jumping off point for an excursion or a place to shop at the only-open-in-tourist-seaon shops or treat their money like they are royalty giving the peasants a pence or two and that should make them happy. They like the travelers who want to stay awhile, get to learn about the town itself, ask locals for recommendations beyond those usual cruise ship tourist things. Stay awhile, learn the good local restaurants, the little parks. Take your morning coffee on the porch of your rental, look at the scenery, watch the wildlife.

See, that is a poor attitude. They don't like ignorant tourists who flit in for a day, have no interest in the town other than being a jumping off point for an excursion or a place to shop at the only-open-in-tourist-seaon shops or treat their money like they are royalty giving the peasants a pence or two and that should make them happy. They like the travelers who want to stay awhile, get to learn about the town itself, ask locals for recommendations beyond those usual cruise ship tourist things. Stay awhile, learn the good local restaurants, the little parks. Take your morning coffee on the porch of your rental, look at the scenery, watch the wildlife.
Sorry, you think it is a bad attitude, but since I love to visit a few towns during my road trips, I really want to be in one that would appreciate me as a visitors. Being retired, I'm able to rent houses and stay for a week or more at a time in most of the towns I visit, which gives me time to find out about the local culture, try their restaurants, visit their interesting landmarks, etc.

I suppose these ports "enjoy" the cruise passengers, but do those ports offer much for cruise passengers to enjoy?

The mega ships which are destinations in themselves which need not make any ports at all - serving the "wow factor" fans.

How many times have you been to Labadee and did not see anyone get off the ship? New cruisers especially want that " tropical beach experience". I don't recall seeing a lot of sandy beaches on the ships. ;)

I thought that was a bit odd also. "Stopping by with my car". What road is that?

Well, maybe it has wings or floats on water.....nice new technology! ;)

How many times have you been to Labadee and did not see anyone get off the ship? New cruisers especially want that " tropical beach experience". I don't recall seeing a lot of sandy beaches on the ships. ;)

You should have read the whole post:

Taking a stay-on-board mega-ship was one of the three options.

Going to synthetic ports - including specifically mentioned Labadee - was a second.

The third was going to real ports - with sufficiently limited numbers of passengers to maintain the qualities which make those ports worth seeing in the first place.

Sorry, you think it is a bad attitude, but since I love to visit a few towns during my road trips, I really want to be in one that would appreciate me as a visitors. Being retired, I'm able to rent houses and stay for a week or more at a time in most of the towns I visit, which gives me time to find out about the local culture, try their restaurants, visit their interesting landmarks, etc.

One day or one week, that's a "Bow down before my largesse" attitude that no SE community is desperate for.

That does remind me though of a diner in a tiny SE community that was popular with other Alaskans for a weekend away. Super small town. You had a dining room in the only hotel and the one diner and those were your only food options. Besides the one grocery store. But any time someone walked into the diner with shiny new Patagonia gear and a general big city (if sincerely Earth-friendly) tourist look, she'd tell them she was closed. Despite other people at tables eating. And repeat it until they left.

Tourism dollars are a bonus, not a necessity.

Navybankerteacher. I did read your quote. I was quoting (and agreeing) with NLH Arizona. Hense the creation of those three ports. Then you quoted me on that. ;)