Attitude toward cruisers?

I agree... it is overcrowding issue. I cannot forget a difference between our visit to Brugges, when no ships were in port and on our visit with Grand Princess when two ships arrived at the same time. It was crazy crowded instead of being a quiet charming town.

Agreed. I lived in Key West 20 years and I was conflicted. I love cruising, but I hated the days when multiple ships were in KW.

And to be clear, it's both about the crowds and the people...more so from certain cruise lines than others.

Amazing how changed Key West has become. We used to love going down to that quaint,

off the wall with interesting characters town. Agree it has changed so much.

We stay in the Keys two months every year, but never go south of Marathon any longer.

Having stayed in Grand Cayman, Georgetown, for a few weeks for work;). I've seen shop owners around the quay literally start swapping window prices when the ship appears in the horizon and when the last tender is boarding.

Think about what your Main Street would be like if the Anthem dropped off all it's passengers there...

Now that's something I'd like to see! The Anthem dropping anchor on the main drag in the little town of 15,000 where I live! :p

Stop in at Congdon's Doughnuts and then come up to the Seashore Trolley Museum for a ride on a real antique trolley with me!!:D

Love Congdon's we go for breakfast get an omelet with a donut. My lady loves the maple one.

We also eat dinner at Joshua's in the dead of winter. He is never closed. Also Billy's.

I have never seen the trolley, I guess we are never there during season anymore.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Another town that would change drastically....Charleston SC. Much talk from some about a cruise ship port there, but the locals are adamantly against it. They would lose the historic flavor of that city.

What about Carnival Ecstasy (2,600 passengers), and, occasionally, Sunshine with 3,000 passengers loading and unloading ---- right in the old town every four days or so? Not technically a "port call" but certainly something to impact the "historic flavor".

I get that tourists can be a pain for a small community, (or even a large one,) however these spots need to remember that we are their bread and butter. How many would not be able to make it without those 2000 extra bodies every week? Btw, the worst place in terms of how they treat tourists has to be Venice. Really rude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I get that tourists can be a pain for a small community, (or even a large one,) however these spots need to remember that we are their bread and butter. How many would not be able to make it without those 2000 extra bodies every week? Btw, the worst place in terms of how they treat tourists has to be Venice. Really rude.

That is a problem with cruisers (and remember we are avid cruisers)! They simply do not understand economics. Cruise ships do contribute to the local economy...but the bulk of those expenditures go to a small segment (like the tour companies). On islands like St Barts...they fear that cruise ships will simply drive away the much more lucrative jet setters who spend days (or weeks) on the island, dine in the expensive restaurants, etc. On the island of St Maarten, where there are many fine chef-owned restaurants in Grand Case...they could care less about cruisers. Certainly they love the cruisers on Orient Beach or Maho Beach...but on Happy Beach or Le Galion they could care less. In Puerto Vallarta, most of the cruisers come in town, spend a few pesos, and leave. Many or the best restaurants are not even open for lunch and could care less about cruisers. The hotels also could care less about cruisers. The taxis love them because they can overcharge cruisers (not all taxis do this....but many do). But when the crowds of cruise folks start to drive away those that stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, shop in the markets nearly every day, etc. they are not helping the economy. St Thomas used to have a lot very nice shops. Most of them are gone..now replaced with the stores that cater to cruisers (and where most others would not shop).

Somebody mentioned the village of Cinque Terre where the charm is now being destroyed by the hoards of cruisers. Riomaggore will never be the same (unless the Italian government bans cruise ships from La Spezia).

Hank

No- cruise passengers are not "bread and butter" to any community. You might say they are the "cheese and crackers" to a segment of a community: the taxi drivers, tour organizers and specialized merchants - pretty much everyone else is just inconvenienced. A significant number of cruise ship passengers seem largely interested in minimizing their expenditures on board - they are hardly likely to significantly change spending habits on shore--- except, of course, the customers at Cartier, Diamonds International, and Longchamps in places like Philipsburg - and that does very little for the vast majority of the residents.

I guess you don't understand the concept of trickle down economics. Let's say 2000 come ashore in one week (and it's probably more, due to several cruise ships at a time,) and they spend an average of $50 per person on restaurants, cocktails, trinkets, etc. that's $100,000 a week. 5.2 million a year! For a small port like Cabo that's HUGE! And where do you think that money goes? It goes to dentists that fix the cab driver's kids teeth. It goes to purchasing groceries for a waitress. It goes to the mechanic who fixes the shuttle busses. You have to think about the bigger picture.

I guess you don't understand the concept of trickle down economics. Let's say 2000 come ashore in one week (and it's probably more, due to several cruise ships at a time,) and they spend an average of $50 per person on restaurants, cocktails, trinkets, etc. that's $100,000 a week. 5.2 million a year! For a small port like Cabo that's HUGE! And where do you think that money goes? It goes to dentists that fix the cab driver's kids teeth. It goes to purchasing groceries for a waitress. It goes to the mechanic who fixes the shuttle busses. You have to think about the bigger picture.

Trickle down economics is not all it is cracked up to be.

You are also forgetting all the added infrastructure and maintenance costs these ports need to spend. So that would definitely cut into any "profit".

I would suggest that quite a few cruisers would aim to spend as little as possible when on shore. So I think $50 per person is highly unlikely to be spent by the majority of cruisers.

And I think you are wrong. Who do you think the "infrastucture" payments go to??? It goes to the customs agents, the tour guides, dishwashers, guacamole makers, bed changers, soda suppliers, masseuses, boat crews, sandwich makers, toenail painters,blah,blah, blah! Who in turn, pY their mortgage, electricity bill, insurance, etc...

Edited by dverzic

Trickle down economics is not all it is cracked up to be.

You are also forgetting all the added infrastructure and maintenance costs these ports need to spend. So that would definitely cut into any "profit".

I would suggest that quite a few cruisers would aim to spend as little as possible when on shore. So I think $50 per person is highly unlikely to be spent by the majority of cruisers.

And I think you are wrong. Who do you think the "infrastucture" payments go to??? It goes to the customs agents, the tour guides, dishwashers, guacamole makers, bed changers, soda suppliers, masseuses, boat crews, sandwich makers, toenail painters,blah,blah, blah! Who in turn, pY their mortgage, electricity bill, insurance, etc...

Interestingly Akaroa, one of the smaller ports in NZ, is currently having infrastucture issues from the cruise ship "invasion". There was some discussion on this in the Australia/NZ forum. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2443914

Interestingly Akaroa, one of the smaller ports in NZ, is currently having infrastucture issues from the cruise ship "invasion". There was some discussion on this in the Australia/NZ forum. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2443914

Thanks for the link and an interesting read.

I know that some places are struggling with overcrowding due to popularity. Also infrastructure and maintenance costs are still an issue during the high season as well as the low season.

I love to cruise, however I think we all should try and be aware of our impact on the environment whether in nature or a community.

She can usually pick out the cruise ship passengers from 5 stories up by the way they dress, walk, carry water (no reason to do that in PV), etc. Put 10 cruisers in a group of 100 gringos....and it would usually be easy to pick out the cruisers. Of course the easiest ones to spot are those who wear their cruise cards on a lanyard :). Yep...plenty do it even when off their ship.

Hank

Hahahahahaha lanyards [emoji13]

I love playing this game when sitting quietly at a cafe sipping a espresso or a nice local vino.

I even noticed two cruisers recently on a plane leaving for home after the cruise ship docked with their cruise cards still around their necks. Lol [emoji23]

Btw, the worst place in terms of how they treat tourists has to be Venice. Really rude.

Perhaps with a little bit of education on the damage in Venice being caused by cruise ships, you'll understand why the locals feel that way. I suggest a little research on that one.

So you all hate cruisers, yet are still one of them??

Like it or not, when you step off a cruise ship, you are labeled. And trust me, the worst ones are the one who don't realize it. The ones who do, make an effort to redeem themselves by not running toward the nearest Diamonds International or sitting in Senor Frogs all day.

Edited by Aquahound

$50 per person!!!! I think not, especially when you read questions on this forum about taking food off the ship, so as to avoid having to eat in the local restaurants. Many cruisers have the mindset that they have paid for all the food on their cruise, and they will not want to spend a single $ eating ashore.

$50 per person!!!! I think not, especially when you read questions on this forum about taking food off the ship, so as to avoid having to eat in the local restaurants. Many cruisers have the mindset that they have paid for all the food on their cruise, and they will not want to spend a single $ eating ashore.

Good point - while an AVERAGE expenditure of $50 per person might not be too far off the mark, it could only be achieved by including a few high-end spenders buying Rolexes, jewellry, etc. The AVERAGE cruiser, whose presence contributes to the crowding and utilizes the oft-cited infrastructure, more likely tries to spend less than $20.

The net result often is a destruction of the local beauty, ambience, charm - whatever you want to call it - that originally attracted the cruise ships. Venice and the villages of Cinque Terre are prime examples of ports which have suffered, and St. Barth's is a prime example of a port which has decided to protect itself.

So what's the verdict here?

Are cruisers bad?

Is our reputation deserved?

If so, should we all just hang up our lanyards for good and vacation in our back yards?

No- cruisers, like any travelers, should take a little time in advance to know something about where they are going so they can see what makes it worth seeing rather than spending a day at Senor Frog's, they also should show some courtesy - like appropriate clothes in churches and mosques -- and, while on board, treating other passengers and crew civilly.

But back to your question: not all, but a fair number of cruisers, are "bad" -- and, yes, the locals as well as fellow passengers would appreciate it if they did "just hang up ... lanyards for good and vacation in ... back yards".

There is a subtle difference between tourists and travellers. Travellers tend to want to integrate into the local community, sample the native way of life, and eat and behave as a local, even if for only a day. Tourists, however, tend to operate on a 'to do list ' system, ticking off sights, cathedrals, castles etc, without ever fully understanding their true meaning. Most holiday makers fall into the tourist category, and cruisers are no different.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app