Take food and drink off ship?

mgavin79

You can take water bottles. I'm not sure about the food. We usually will grab a few boxes of cereal from the breakfast buffet to take with us.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Water is fine. The local's were busting people in Cozumel last year for taking food off. They had the dogs out in force.

Mexico and California are extremely diligent about what can be brought ashore. Have seen AG dogs and/or bag checkers in all ports. Have seen dogs recently in Ensenada, Cabo, PV and Mazatlan.

You do not want the cute Lab to sit next to you. FWIW I've been singled out by the dog who alerted on my Lemonheads (candy) in San Diego.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Years ago there was a thread about people taking food off the ship and onto the ship. I made a comment about seeing the crew taking a bucket of the Colonel's chicken on board and got ripped for it :D.

I still remember those guys tearing into that chicken today. I sure wanted a piece of that chicken . ;p Ship food gets old after awhile even for the crew.

Sealed containers only please .

The tiny sealed boxes of cheerios and fruit loops from the buffet make great snacks while in port and can be taken off the ship. Security will confiscate fresh fruit, sandwiches, etc. We usually bring a few snacks on board with us for snacking while in port because of my daughters tendency to get ill when she goes too long without food. As long as it's in new and unopened packages it ok. We bring along sealed six packs of crackers and small packs of peanuts, and cookies when we board just for when we go in port. :D

Years ago there was a thread about people taking food off the ship and onto the ship. I made a comment about seeing the crew taking a bucket of the Colonel's chicken on board and got ripped for it :D.

I still remember those guys tearing into that chicken today. I sure wanted a piece of that chicken . ;p Ship food gets old after awhile even for the crew.

In Mazatlan the crew rent out a kitchen and cook. Always see them schlepping togo containers back with them.

Only issue we've ever had bringing food back onto the ship was when Security got 'angry' that we didn't bring anything back for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've brought tortillas from a tortilleria (to have as a snack or if Carnival has Peruvian at the buffet, then with the beans), agua frescas and leftovers from a restaurant to give to a person who didn't get off the ship. Never had a problem with security getting food onto the ship.

But the only thing I ever take off the ship is some wrapped candy/gum or a box of cereal and a bottle of water.

OP - In front of the park across from the church is a raspado (shaved ice) vendor. He uses real fruit juices and he'll swirl sweetened condensed milk on it. I don't remember the size I got, but it was 20 pesos.

Strict eco enforcement is not limited to only California and Mexico. Hawaii is also very strict and New Zealand was the the most rigorous country I've ever entered enforcing rules about bringing in unwanted food, beverages and even the dirt on one's sneakers or boots. NZ wants absolutely no invasive species, mammals or microbes, flora or fauna, introduced by visitors.

The eco line was way longer than the Customs line at Auckland's airport. Invasive species are estimated to cause $2.3 Billion of damage per year, hence their rigid enforcement.