Just Back From Regal Princess Dry Dock: Ocean Medallion Technology Installed, Plus Ot

LauraS

although it states I can turn off the medallion does that mean I can get a normal old fashion credit card style for my door? My medallion will be at the bottom of the sea if they force me to take it.

So much paranoia about something so simple. I wonder if there was this much uproar about going from a metal key to a key card that can "track" every time the door is unlocked and who unlocked it.

So much paranoia about something so simple. I wonder if there was this much uproar about going from a metal key to a key card that can "track" every time the door is unlocked and who unlocked it.

And I am sure all those complaining about being "tracked" do not carry a cell phone, have a car manufactured after 1990, carry a laptop or I-pad or wear a fitbit or other fitness tracker.

Even my work ID has a tracker inbedded.

And I am sure all those complaining about being "tracked" do not carry a cell phone, have a car manufactured after 1990, carry a laptop or I-pad or wear a fitbit or other fitness tracker.

Does Google know where I've been on the internet? :eek::o;););)

On the Princess FAQ webpage for O-C-E-A-N they address some of the security concerns.

Could other people find it and use it to get into your room or charge purchases to you?

The Ocean Medallion contains no personal information. Your Ocean Medallion is associated with your profile that contains your onboard security picture. If that picture does not match a guest when a purchase is being made or when someone other than the original guest is nearby, access will not be granted to a stateroom and purchases cannot be made.

I don't understand about getting in to your Cabin. I see that I have to match the picture on the Medallion, but who is going to check that when I want to get into my cabin?

I don't understand about getting in to your Cabin. I see that I have to match the picture on the Medallion, but who is going to check that when I want to get into my cabin?
The Princess Marketeers used a poorly worded explanation. For access purposes, your medallion works just like the current key card...tap it on the lock and your door unlocks. Yes, if someone else uses your medallion, it would open your door, just as if you gave your key card to someone. But a lost medallion does not show someone where your room is, so someone up to no good would have to know where your room is and then obtain your medallion.

For purchasing, the medallion will also bring up your ID picture on the ordering pads/terminals already in use as a way to verify the right medallion is with the right customer. I don't know if a picture already pops up with use of the current key card in purchases, but it does with the security scan on and off ship, so there is no reason why it couldn't.

And for pre-purchases (the 'there and then' part) the picture as well as the location beacon will help the server find you and bring your order to the correct location and person.

The Princess Marketeers used a poorly worded explanation. For access purposes, your medallion works just like the current key card...tap it on the lock and your door unlocks. Yes, if someone else uses your medallion, it would open your door, just as if you gave your key card to someone. But a lost medallion does not show someone where your room is, so someone up to no good would have to know where your room is and then obtain your medallion.

For purchasing, the medallion will also bring up your ID picture on the ordering pads/terminals already in use as a way to verify the right medallion is with the right customer. I don't know if a picture already pops up with use of the current key card in purchases, but it does with the security scan on and off ship, so there is no reason why it couldn't.

And for pre-purchases (the 'there and then' part) the picture as well as the location beacon will help the server find you and bring your order to the correct location and person.

Thank you for the info. I have another question, Do the medallions have your name on them? Just wondering how I can tell mine from my husbands?

From the sample shown on this page, it would appear the answer is yes.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/

Plus, from the marketing video, it appears that you can also choose different colors and styles of bands and necklaces to hold your medallion. Or forego any such device and slip it in your pocket.

From the sample shown on this page, it would appear the answer is yes.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/

Plus, from the marketing video, it appears that you can also choose different colors and styles of bands and necklaces to hold your medallion. Or forego any such device and slip it in your pocket.

Yes, I see the lady's medallion has her name on it --Marie Rose--. So, if you loose it, better take your name off your cabin door!!

That works, but as soon as you report it missing and get a replacement, it becomes deactivated. It would also take a very long time for someone to check all the name cards, not to mention it would look very odd on the video feed.

That works, but as soon as you report it missing and get a replacement, it becomes deactivated. It would also take a very long time for someone to check all the name cards, not to mention it would look very odd on the video feed.

I agree. But there is a very, very , very small chance of it.

It will be a few years before we take a cruise on a ship that has the Medallion and I'm sure by that time most if not all the "bugs" will be worked out but for those of us who would choose to not "wear" it but just place it in our pocket will our cell phone mess it up?

Mr Indy is constantly having to get new hotel cards because he "forgot" and put the card in the same pocket as his cell phone.

I agree, big deal, I have a medallion to do a lot that I really don`t care about & it makes me open to have my privacy out for anyone to attain. I am now having that on my computer & don`t need it on a cruise ship.

Can we opt to use a key card or will thet have been done away with?

Based on other discussions the card will not be an option but the Medallion can be used like the card. It's 6 months before the first ship has this option & there may be adjustments before implementation however using a card doesn't appear to be an option.

Here is what the OCEAN FAQs state about opting out:

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?

If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion Class experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/ocean-faq/

I don't have a smart phone. Will the medallion still work?

Based on what I've read, you'll need to use your cabin TV, a video display located around the ship or a mobile device such as a smart phone or tablet for many of the functions. Basic functions such as opening the cabin door & making purchases will be like the current cruise card & doesn't require a mobile device.

• 3 months later...
I wonder how they are going to include the sip and sail all inclusive drink packages to this thing.

It sounds like you just show your Medallion & they'll have a scanner to check if your account is activated for the package.

No switching cards anymore since they'll have your face to check.;)

None of the above. Sent from Iphone through new car using nonbearing fitbit hand.

Also if you use your I phone are you paying minutes for being out of the U.s.

Only if you are making phone calls... Medallion function access via a smartphone is done over the ships intranet connection which is totally free. All Medallion ships are having massive connectivity upgrades to get rid of the system drops currently experienced. The Medallion uses a combination of two different technologies to interact with the ship. Nothing is stored on the Medallion except for a unique identifier that is scanned by sensors around the ship. I don't know why anybody is freaked out about having their name on the thing since it is on the current cruise card. It is my hope that all the people who are raving about privacy and are paranoid about the Medallion technology will absolutely refuse to sail on the Medallion cruises. That wold be cool as it might bring prices down for the rest of us who actually understand technology.

The technology used by the Medallion is:

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

Near Field Communication (NFC)

Only if you are making phone calls... Medallion function access via a smartphone is done over the ships intranet connection which is totally free. All Medallion ships are having massive connectivity upgrades to get rid of the system drops currently experienced. The Medallion uses a combination of two different technologies to interact with the ship. Nothing is stored on the Medallion except for a unique identifier that is scanned by sensors around the ship. I don't know why anybody is freaked out about having their name on the thing since it is on the current cruise card. It is my hope that all the people who are raving about privacy and are paranoid about the Medallion technology will absolutely refuse to sail on the Medallion cruises. That wold be cool as it might bring prices down for the rest of us who actually understand technology.

The technology used by the Medallion is:

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

Near Field Communication (NFC)

Like!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Similar reactions to the EZ-Pass toll transponders when first introduced and the Metro-Cards that replaced the old subway tokens in NYC some years ago. Some Co-workers initially refused electronic deposit paychecks years ago and would rather stand in line at a bank to cash a paycheck because that was the way their father did it. My late father-in-law had radial tires removed on his last new car because he wanted bias-ply tires because that is what he always had on his cars.

I just printed boarding passes for a recent flight but I saw younger travelers using their smart phones to check in instead of printing a paper boarding pass so as a senior citizen I'll have to try that next time.

Now I have a question regarding the medallion.

Previously wearing a cruise card around my neck occasionally my DSLR camera battery would disable the cruise card after wearing the camera around my neck.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem using a medallion?

Howard

Now I have a question regarding the medallion.

Previously wearing a cruise card around my neck occasionally my DSLR camera battery would disable the cruise card after wearing the camera around my neck.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem using a medallion?

Howard

Medallions have not yet been rolled out for public use. It's likely that there is some technical testing happening on the ships that have had their installations. If you do get a response that they have had a problem before the first Medallion cruise later this year, it had better be from a Princess employee or a contractor.

That said, the technology used in the Medallions should be very resistant to being disabled by external fields whether magnetic, electro-magnetic or whatever.