Poll on room cleaning if you have cruised in spring 2017

LMaxwell

I'm sure that's not an official policy, but just from years of observing customers, colleagues, business interactions, when you have been around a while and / or know the client expectation people have a tendency to...I don't want to say game the system, that's a bit heavy handed most of the time, but "tailor" a situation to work best for them and their wallet. To an extent that goes on in every company. Some employees always give max effort, some always give just enough to skate, but in the middle you have those that pick and choose when they give 100% and when they give 80%.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Some room stewards might "test the waters" on someone they suspect may take the bait which in this case would be the less seasoned cruisers. It doesn't hurt for them to try and they may just get some to go along.

We met with our room steward prior to dinner on the first night on Sunshine (4/15). He had the form on the little clipboard. He pushed 'a little' for morning or afternoon but agreed to 'both' when we politely insisted. We marked and signed the form. We also asked for ice and a robe for my wife. He did a fine job during the week and we provided him a modest extra tip at the end of the week.

Here's what I will say about this. Carnival has clearly increased the workload for both stewards and MDR staffs. Both have moderately impacted overall service. We wish they would reverse this trend. We still love the Carnival product but will look around at other lines too.

We were just on the Conquest last week. Our Steward introduced himself ghe first day and ask if we preferred morning evening or both. We chose mornings. The room was always clean. We lacked nothing. Always had ice and clean towels. He always asked if we needed clean beach towels. He turned out to be the best we've ever had and did not notice a difference. At night we would still get our fun times and towel animals.

I was on the 4/22/17 Elation sailing. My steward asked if I wanted morning or evening cabin service. I said evening but she serviced the cabin in the morning and evening anyway. No card was given out when she asked. She was also great about keeping the ice bucket filled. :)

Yeah, that's what I mean. Some room stewards might "test the waters" on someone they suspect may take the bait which in this case would be the less seasoned cruisers. It doesn't hurt for them to try and they may just get some to go along.

Perhaps this is the thought that our attendant had, he'd see if he could get away with providing half the service. We did adjust the gratuity accordingly. Half the service nets half the compensation.

This is not about whether you want 2x or 1x; it is about how was it messaged to you; were you offered 2x? Were you offered only 1X and told you had to choose? Was nothing said at all and you got 1x, or got 2X?

I just want to see peoples experience.

This is about what Carnival communicated, not what your personal preference is.

Off Magic last week. Our stewardess came to introduce herself, asked if we had any special requests, and at that time politely asked about 'servicing the cabin' I said we preferred both morning and evening turndown. She wrote it on her pad and said 'that's fine' - I asked if that was ok and she responded 'yes, yes, of course, not a problem' -

We sailed the Vista in February and the Fantasy in April. Our stewards did not ask us if we wanted morning or evening service. They serviced our room twice a day. On the Triumph in December, we were asked if we wanted morning or evening service.

Seeing on social media a question about room cleaning with 150 responses in one day, and, sadly, the responses are all over the map as to whether people were offered 1x or 2x a day cleaning, or not offered any choice, etc. I guess those rogue stewards are impossible for management to find and re-train.

This is not about whether you want 2x or 1x; it is about how was it messaged to you; were you offered 2x? Were you offered only 1X and told you had to choose? Was nothing said at all and you got 1x, or got 2X?

I just want to see peoples experience.

This is about what Carnival communicated, not what your personal preference is.

We were on the Triumph in April and our room steward came to our room and asked us to fill out a card asking if we wanted 1X or 2X per day service.

We were on the Vista end of February, we were not given any choices in any form whatsoever. However, the steward cleaned only in the morning for 1st 2 days, so we contacted "Housekeeping" and requested 2x/day....from that point forward our steward provided the service we prefer (2x/day). BUT, we were never talked to, nor given any written questionnaire asking for our preference.

Our steward on the Splendor in April finally wore me down.... First, I've always met my steward on the first day - this time he was no where in sight. I left a note for him when we went to dinner, requesting twice a day service, ice (we didn't even have a bucket), and some extra pillows - plus a $20 for him. We came back - and the room hadn't been touched - and again - no one in sight. We left again, not for long - came back - nothing - sat out on the balcony a bit - went out some more - and at some point he made the couch out into my son's bed.

The next day - we went to breakfast - came back - nothing - back and forth a lot - nothing. Later in the morning we were on the balcony and he came out and asked morning or night. I requested both. He then told me he has all these cabins on the port side plus all of the aft cabins (we were in the aft wrap starboard) and therefore he'd have to service us last so morning would be after Noon and turn down would be after 9 pm. I figured there was no way they'd be that late - wrong.

So, Day 3 we changed to morning only. It was still done after Noon.

Needless to say - he didn't receive any extra tip. This was the first cruise where our steward didn't know our names, say good morning, or greet us in the hall. Mostly because except for the one talk we had we never saw him again - so odd.

On the breeze April 8, 2017. Was asked and we said....whatever works best for you. Just make sure we have plenty towels and ice. Our room was always clean, plenty towels and nightly towel animals. Ferry was the best!

I can understand them asking 1x or 2x a day but that should be the only discussion on the matter.

If and when a steward starts in that he has so many cabins and is so overworked that he can only do once a day is the time I pick up the phone and call the head of housekeeping and guest services. I would inform them what their employee had just informed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Magic April 1-8. Our steward asked if we wanted AM or PM but we chose both. No complaints. Always later in the morning but very consistent at night with turn-down service. (All except one night we returned to the room right after dinner and he was already finished with it)

B2B on Magic April 22nd and 29th, 2017 (Just got home today). Our room Steward, John, greeted us when we got to the room on the 22nd with the Carnival card that had room service Once, Twice, or Both. We chose Both and got it for 2 weeks. We also got ice bucket filled each time room was serviced. as well as robes. There was nothing different from any of the other 24 cruises we have take.

On Pride in Feb. We were asked and pressured for once a day, with no paper for us to fill out. We then had 2 days we didn't even get a Fun Times and the ice was empty most of the time. Worse room steward we have ever had. It was noted very sternly on his review afterwards.

I am pleased to read so many have not been questioned and received the traditional levels of service. The ones that received subpar service or were mislead about what they could receive thank you for sharing your experiences, it helps the rest of us to avoid those pitfalls.

I am pleased to read so many have not been questioned and received the traditional levels of service. The ones that received subpar service or were mislead about what they could receive thank you for sharing your experiences, it helps the rest of us to avoid those pitfalls.

It was a good poll/discussion. I think those who view it as a take away and have made it known here and the many other threads on the topic on their feelings and what they will do as a result (negative stuff). I wonder how many actually prefer the once a day and don't feel misled or they are receiving subpar service (rhetorical, we don't need anther discussion/poll).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was a good poll/discussion. I think those who view it as a take away and have made it known here and the many other threads on the topic on their feelings and what they will do as a result (negative stuff). I wonder how many actually prefer the once a day and don't feel misled or they are receiving subpar service (rhetorical, we don't need anther discussion/poll).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm starting to trend my own thinking to this: The number of times may not matter to me, could be once, could be 10, could be first in the morning, or last one done; so long as I perceive the services to be adequate I will be happy. Maybe instead of choosing once or twice, if offered, I'll describe what I expect and however they make it happen is fine.