BLU Dining Room

BarbarianPaul

We're on a two week repositioning cruise on the Millenium, Yokohama-Vancouver departing in a week!

We booked an Aquaclass cabin specifically to eat in BLU, and am curious what everyone's impressions are of the food and quality of service.

Any special dishes we should either try or avoid? Any recommendations? Or warnings?

We're trying to temper our expectations, but are hoping the experience will be superior to the main dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We like Blu as you can eat at any time and there are a number of tables for 2's. Portions are generally smaller than the MDR. Our favorite dishes are the lamb chops, salmon, and beef dishes. Service has been excellent. Breakfast is probably our favorite meal in Blu.

The first night can be chaotic and we stay away that night. Desserts have been a disappointment for us in Blu. There are more choices in the MDR.

We love it, and when it was made available to suite guests, it's the only place we ate (besides specialties) until Luminae came. We have not eaten in the MDR in our last 8 cruises which is about 6 years. We do not miss the loud, big room. .

First, it's a smaller venue, serving just a couple hundred people at max as compared to the MDR which serves over 2000. The wait staff/chefs can customize for you. If you want some steamed broccoli or some changes to the menu, just ask.

The descriptions of the dishes sometimes don't give you a clear picture of what is actually on the plate. We love all the short rib dishes, the pastas, and the risotto is wonderful. I don't get fish on board, but I'm pretty particular as I live in south Louisiana where it's some of the best in the world There is a chocolate cake on the menu everyday. I got it once to try and was expecting just basic blah cake. It's fabulous. I think it's one of the best desserts on the ship.

Breakfast is great in Blu and the sommelier and wait staff will know you by day 2, and since they have much fewer people to serve than the MDR it makes for a much better experience. I predict you'll be happy.

This is all great....thank you! I also been known to order an additional appetizer or two, as well as the occasional additional entree. Will this be ok?

Yes, you can order whatever you like, including extra appetizers. The service is really awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My opinion having just disembarked from "Millie" a week ago yesterday...we always book AQ for Blu and we thought the food was not good at all this time...we actually meet with the F&B Manager about the poor quality for food there and also in the Oceanview. The service/staff were wonderful...but the food was not...sauces covered everything (I learned to order with the "sauce on the side"), prime rib so tough even the waiter who brought a different knife to the table couldn't cut it etc. etc.

We have booked and sailed in AQ only for years...this was our 3rd cruise since early November and was just not up to the quality we have experienced or come to expect. I hope your cruise has better food...please let me know when you return! LuAnn

We're on a two week repositioning cruise on the Millenium, Yokohama-Vancouver departing in a week!

We booked an Aquaclass cabin specifically to eat in BLU, and am curious what everyone's impressions are of the food and quality of service.

Any special dishes we should either try or avoid? Any recommendations? Or warnings?

We're trying to temper our expectations, but are hoping the experience will be superior to the main dining room.

Blu is a small version of the MDR. Yes there are a few different items on the menu. We have never had a lackluster service experience in the MDR. So we would say that the service is excellent in both dining rooms.

As to items not to miss, can't pin point a memory of anything special.

Suite guests can dine in Blu? Has that not always been the case?

Suite guests can still dine in Blu on a space available basis.

We only book Aqua (or above) now because while we do always enjoy the food in Blu, the service is so much better than the MDR and the room is much quieter so those are big advantages to us. I've heard there are new menu items on the menu in Blu, so looking forward to checking it out on Equinox in 2 weeks!

There are several "off menu" but always available offerings. Onion soup, caesar salad (with/without anchovies), escargot are always available appetizers. Fresh berries are an always available dessert. Breakfast: corned beef hash is available and recently eggs benedict as well on some cruises. Likely I've forgotten a few, but just ask your waiter what else they have that's not on the menu.

Additionally, Blu has their own plating area, so it's easy to ask for the vegetables from one dish with your selection....sort of mix and match.

Please don't try to order an MDR menu item....they may or may not get it...but they are not set up to go to another kitchen and it will effect others. If you really want an MDR item, go to the MDR for dinner (we usually do for one or two nights, even if we are in aqua).

Good choice...aqua really makes you feel that you are on a small ship cruise. Enjoy.

We loved Blu in General and the food quality was very good but I have Midwest pretty basic tastes. They serve a lot of seafood, duck and lamb types dinners. They do offer the classic items each night. New York Strip, Chicken or Salomon but Several nights on our 8 night cruise I asked our waiter for something on the MDR menu and he served it to me. The service is great and we were really happy with it. For sure a reason to book Aqua.