Grand Turk...at the port

Here are my thoughts on Grand Turk, again these are MY thoughts and opinions, everyone has them. Don't flame for them....

You are on a cruise, going to exotic place and seeing foreign countries. Why people take a cruise and get off at the port and stay in a chain establishment that you can find in virtually any beach city in the United States, is beyond me. You are in a new place for crying out loud, get out and enjoy it! Go to Margaritaville when you're back home.

Rent a golf cart, drive around the island. Check out the locals way of life. See the wild animals roaming the streets. Look at the salt salinas which use to be the locals way of life before the cruise industry took over. Go to Her Majesty's Prison and tour it. Check out the museums, go to the light house. Ride down to Governor's Beach, stop at Jack's Shack for lunch. Enjoy the island while you're there. You can't go there every day without going on a cruise. You can always go to a Margaritaville or a pool. Just my 2 cents.

Amen

Hi,

I guess we aren't with the majority of cruisers on this Port. We skipped Margaritaville entirely. Golf carts?? We weren't aware of those. We had a taxi take us to a resort, can't remember the name. But, it was very low key. The water was beautiful of course. Beach gorgeous , rented some lounges & umbrellas. During our afternoon we saw a local man bring his horses down to the ocean. WOW. It was just like a postcard. Anyway, it was a comfy afternoon.

We passed these very nice foreigner's homes, and we passed the local homes ... a huge difference. My husband and I enjoy going on cruises to take a peek at different places. One's that we'd like to go back to on a land vacation. We did a cruise with PR as one of the Ports. Yeah, we decided we needed to come back, this summer will be our 2nd land vacation in Puerto Rico. Going to explore the South & West before going back to the Eastern Coast. Grand Turk? Nope, once was nice but that was plenty.

I read a post somewhere on CC that said you were no longer allowed to bring shells back on the ship from GT. We have been there twice over the years and found some conchs right on the beach. Of course, they were just empty shells...no occupants. Has anyone brought back any shells from GT?

I agree that Jack's Shack has a great vibe (expat vibe) and the food is delish. I remember the walk feeling like forever though (it did not feel like 5 min), we were in our late 20s at the time and pretty fit and I remember my DH and I were soooo hot, but the edge of the water hurt my feet when I tried to cool down lol. The beach is ok (too many pebbles, but the water is pretty, I didn't see any seaweed or fish). The pool is large and crowded, I recall the whole thing being 3ft (don't quote me though). Next time we go we will certainly do the golf cart rental. I am so team "this is a different country so do something different".

I agree that Jack's Shack has a great vibe (expat vibe) and the food is delish. I remember the walk feeling like forever though (it did not feel like 5 min), we were in our late 20s at the time and pretty fit and I remember my DH and I were soooo hot, but the edge of the water hurt my feet when I tried to cool down lol. The beach is ok (too many pebbles, but the water is pretty, I didn't see any seaweed or fish). The pool is large and crowded, I recall the whole thing being 3ft (don't quote me though). Next time we go we will certainly do the golf cart rental. I am so team "this is a different country so do something different".

We were just there a month ago, and Jack's Shack is definitely a 5-7 minute walk at a very leisurely pace. The sand was also very soft and not rocky at all. We were barefooted and did not notice anything except soft sand. I've heard that the beach to the right of the pier is rocky, but to the left of the pier, the sand is very soft. Jacks and Margaritaville are to the left of the pier as you exit the ship. The pool is very large and can get crowded.

Just got back from Vista 8 day with stop in GT. This was our 3rd time there in as many years. I will say that there seemed to be a LOT more loungers and UMBRELLAS on both sides of the dock area.

The beach to the right of the pier did look to be clearer and have more rocks removed.

I agree, Jack's shack. Great jerk chicken.

Another vote for Jack's Shack. The beach is also much better at Jack's Shack than where all the lounge chairs are, just off the pier. And as an added bonus there's Topher! You can Google videos of Topher's antics.

Another vote for Jack's Shack. The beach is also much better at Jack's Shack than where all the lounge chairs are, just off the pier. And as an added bonus there's Topher! You can Google videos of Topher's antics.

Topher - alone - is worth the trip to Jack's!! [emoji7] [emoji190] [emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read a post somewhere on CC that said you were no longer allowed to bring shells back on the ship from GT. We have been there twice over the years and found some conchs right on the beach. Of course, they were just empty shells...no occupants. Has anyone brought back any shells from GT?

Hi. We were on the Carnival Conquest last month. They were selling beautiful shells on the beach. I bought one once in Belize without any problem so was surprised that a lady getting on the ship right in front of me had it taken away. They said it wasn't allowed any longer.

Edited by maynovmom
spelling

Here are my thoughts on Grand Turk, again these are MY thoughts and opinions, everyone has them. Don't flame for them....

You are on a cruise, going to exotic place and seeing foreign countries. Why people take a cruise and get off at the port and stay in a chain establishment that you can find in virtually any beach city in the United States, is beyond me. You are in a new place for crying out loud, get out and enjoy it! Go to Margaritaville when you're back home.

Rent a golf cart, drive around the island. Check out the locals way of life. See the wild animals roaming the streets. Look at the salt salinas which use to be the locals way of life before the cruise industry took over. Go to Her Majesty's Prison and tour it. Check out the museums, go to the light house. Ride down to Governor's Beach, stop at Jack's Shack for lunch. Enjoy the island while you're there. You can't go there every day without going on a cruise. You can always go to a Margaritaville or a pool. Just my 2 cents.

While I agree with your idea that we should try new things while on vacation, I just have to say....we live in a very small rural community. The only "chain" nearby is McDonalds. We don't have Margaritaville, or Golden Corral, or any of the other chains that vacationers are scorned for visiting while away from home. For us, that IS something new.

Hi there-

Husband and I are considering another carnival cruise. This one stopping in Grand Turk. I have seen the pics before of the pool, bars etc right there at the port..Does it get crowded and does I need to purchase tickets to access? Is it considered an excursion? TIA

Was there last March and it was crowded. But we did manage to take a swim in the beach.

Was there last March and it was crowded. But we did manage to take a swim in the beach.

Yes - it can get quite crowded especially near the pier. But - just like at Half Moon Cay - the further down the beach you walk the lighter the crowd gets!

Love GT port, definitely take the short walk to Jacks (yes to the jerk chicken!!!), grab a chair or 2 and umbrella and enjoy the beach view. DH & DS do snorkel at GT from the beach area off to the sides (have done either right or left sides) but it is hit or miss with the amount of fish being so close to shore. Still an enjoyable day at the beach and the view is stunning!

Eh, the beach at Grand Turk is worth exactly what they charge you to hang there (zero). It does have sand and it meets the water so it meets the definition. If you are not particular or have low expectations its adequate. Count me as another who is not traveling to another country to hang out at US chain bar/restaurant or anything else. Amazing diving and snorkeling in Grand Turk but not from the shore. That is what Turks and Caicos are known for.

Eh, the beach at Grand Turk is worth exactly what they charge you to hang there (zero). It does have sand and it meets the water so it meets the definition. If you are not particular or have low expectations its adequate. Count me as another who is not traveling to another country to hang out at US chain bar/restaurant or anything else. Amazing diving and snorkeling in Grand Turk but not from the shore. That is what Turks and Caicos are known for.

Totally agree with you about the diving and snorkeling GT. I also agree that the beach area that the Carnival lounges face is the worst of that stretch. However, as you walk down the beach, towards the individual local vendors, the beach gets sandier in the water with less rocks. By the time you reach Jack's Shack, it is almost all sand with an occasional odd piece of dead coral.

I personally dislike Carnival's port builds like Amber Cove, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, and Margaritaville in GT. It's my preference to give my $$$ to locals for local food than to eat at a chain restaurant.

We have been twice. The first time we just went out and tried snorkeling. I honestly don't remember a whole lot about the snorkeling. Last August we rented a jet ski. I don't remember it being very crowded either time.

Totally agree with you about the diving and snorkeling GT. I also agree that the beach area that the Carnival lounges face is the worst of that stretch. However, as you walk down the beach, towards the individual local vendors, the beach gets sandier in the water with less rocks. By the time you reach Jack's Shack, it is almost all sand with an occasional odd piece of dead coral.

I personally dislike Carnival's port builds like Amber Cove, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, and Margaritaville in GT. It's my preference to give my $$$ to locals for local food than to eat at a chain restaurant.

Totally agree with this post about Grand Turk based on my own visits. Anyone who says the beach at Grand Turk is rocky or in any other way not excellent for swimming, wading, tossing around a football, etc. has not walked three football fields to the left of the pier (to the left after approaching shore from the pier) where the beach is much better. There you will find great, sandy beaches without the huge rocks right near the lounge chairs and pier, and the crap food - instead you'll find local food vendors with genuine jerk chicken. I recommend walking past the first few and stopping in at Jack's Shack as many others have said. Say hi to Topher for me.

Yeah, I knew they raised them a little. Like I said, I think we paid like $130. But someone else in this thread commented that it was $300 for the cabana! I didn't believe it was anywhere near that. Plus we shared it with another family. We paid for the cabana and they paid for some drinks and appetizers for the 7 of us. It came out pretty even! ;)

For those of you trooping " Jacks No Shack" :'). Perhaps you should venture further into town .

Funny, we have never done that in our 7 or 8 times we have stopped there. Most of the time the port area is what we wanted...... Only on the last trip where the weather was so so we walked down to Jack's where you run into a dead end (the commercial pier). Have you been into town on GT? We have been to Provinciales (sp?) but not other places on GT.

Sent from my iPad using Forums