ALASKA CRUISE NOVICES - Need Advice

Cokernuts

My husband and I are booking an Alaskan cruise for June 2018. It will be us and our twins who will be 15 years old by then. We have never been to the West coast or to Alaska. We have narrowed it down to two options and want to get the most "bang for the buck". Here are our options...1) Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Alaskan North Bound (Vancouver to Seward one-way) with the post cruise land tour. This stops at 8 ports. 2) Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas out of Seattle which is a round-trip with stops at 6 ports. We will have to pay over $1800 just for the land tour after the Radiance one-way cruise. After reading some other threads we are wondering if we should do the Radiance, but leave the land tour off and spend more money doing excursions at the ports we visit? Or should we go with the Seattle round-trip cruise? We have placed deposits on both to hold spots. We have a hump balcony on the Seattle round-trip on the Explorer with another room across the hall for the twins. On the Radiance (VC to Seward) we have one balcony room, but it is not a hump balcony. Without the land tour, the cruise portions will be basically the same price. If we do the VC to Seward, but drop the land portion, we will also have to find a way to get to Anchorage for a flight home. This will be a major trip for us and possibly our last big family vacation before our children start driving, gets jobs, etc. We want to have the best Alaskan experience possible for the money we are spending. Please advise between these two cruises and advise if anyone thinks the land tour (train ride / bus ride) is really worth $1800. Thanks in advance.

I can't give you a precise answer yet, but we leave for a north bound Radiance Vancouver to Seward in just over three weeks. I did all the planning separately, and we are taking the train from Seward to Anchorage and then renting a car and heading up to Denali for two days before driving back to Anchorage for the flight home. I will say renting the car round trip from the Anchorage airport is a really cheap option to make a land tour happen. Along the same lines, we are renting cars in Ketchikan and Juneau so we can save a bit of money and use that on excursions in other ports.

I will be posting a full trip report when I get back and expect to have lots of info with lots of pictures.

My opinions - others may differ:

1. "Worth it" is highly subjective, depending on your own personal finances and preferences. Having said that, I've done a land tour along with an Alaskan cruise, and it is spectacular. So in my opinion, yes, it is "worth it" to add on the land portion, if your finances allow. Especially if this is a "trip of a lifetime" for you.

2. The Radiance itinerary is better, IMO. Please note the Explorer itinerary goes west of Vancouver island on one leg of the journey, which is a) open seas, b) not very scenic, and c) higher chance of rough seas. Radiance itinerary goes up though the channel east of Vancouver island. Much more scenic and better chance of calm waters.

As noted on many other threads about sea conditions - anything can happen anywhere, anytime. But the odds of better seas, and a more scenic route, are with you in the inside Vancouver passage route.

Just my opinions!

Have fun either way!

:)

In my opinion the Vancouver to Seward cruise is the better choice. Once in Seward if you have the opportunity to get to Denali National Park and maybe even Mt. McKinley (now Mt. Denali) I would try to work that into your budget.

We're leaving on our first cruise to Alaska in June so I don't have personal experience yet. BUT my sister and my sister in law have done Alaska cruises with the land extension in recent years. Both of them thought the train ride and Denali park were the highlights of their vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another thing I should add - I booked our cruise in April of 2016. I booked a balcony cabin that was ok, but not great. About a month later a corner hump balcony opened up so I snagged it. I was then worried that we would only be able to see aft and not forward, so I kept stalking the cabins. I think about two months ago, a middle hump balcony opened up and I switched to that cabin.

While it will be harder as you are trying to get two cabins, just keep watching the inventory. During the time I had the corner hump, the two cabins just aft of us were available. If you need to, you could book one adult and one teen in each room and then it would make switching cabins around easier during the booking process.

On a related note, especially if you are going with Royal Caribbean, keep re-checking the prices... I booked ours this year, the morning of the first day Alaska cruises opened up, and have been checking back on the prices almost daily... While my price is still the lowest I've seen, it has varied by $650, sometime it includes onboard credit, sometimes it does not. We are doing the June 15, 2018 NB on Radiance, and have the portside front-hump cabin with the slightly bigger balcony than normal.

Edited by vacationlover_mn

If you are going to plan and do a land tour in Alaska by yourself, I recommend you buy a book called "The Mile Post." You may even find last year's copy in your local library.

It is full of maps, recommendations for activities, lists hotels, B&Bs, restaurants, and covers most of the few Alaskan highways 'mile by mile' with great stories and history.

I am on a cruise tour in July for the first time to Alaska. I've seen post and received advice from fellow cruisers that did book cruise tours and they did tell me that is the way to go especially if this is a "trip of a lifetime" and the chance that you may not go back for many years if at all.

It is an expensive addition but I booked it as far in advance as I could so that I could afford to do it with the cruisetour.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Charlie

Thank you all very much for your input. We appreciate it very much. We look forward to hearing about your future trips as well. Happy Cruising!

Our research told us that Alaska has so much more to offer than what you can get solely from a cruise. You need to spend some time doing a land tour. We weighed several Cruisetour options when we started planning our Alaskan vacation. We decided to do the land portion on our own. We figured we could do it cheaper than what RCI's land portion would cost and we would have the freedom to move at our own pace and visit the sites that we wanted to visit. We are flying into Fairbanks and renting a car. We will be spending a couple of nights in Fairbanks, a couple in Healy (Denali), a night in Talkeetna, a night in Anchorage and finally, a night in Seward before we board the ship. There is so much to see and do in Alaska, we won't be able to see it all on this trip. We're going to be forced to return in a few years. :D

If the option is there, then go for as long as possible and include mainland Alaska. But I NEVER recommend any cruisetours for families. It is a FAR better option to go independently, makesr better use of time. Eliminates fixed schedules, offers way more visiting opportunities. Far cheaper than a "per person" cost. A great consideration is a RV rental. Ok, enough rant. :)

With Seward, be sure to take a look at what is offered at this gem. :) http://www.seward.com The above reference is also for THE MILEPOST, take a read of Parks and Glenn Highways. You'll see a lot of potential for a great adventure.

I'd suggest planning on allowing 2 weeks which offers superior opportunities. Way to many people shortchange their number of days, and get a "transit" trip. Time is your best friend in Alaska.

With Seward, be sure to take a look at what is offered at this gem. :) www.seward.com .

I am sorry my train from Anchorage won't get me to the ship in time to look around what appears to be a great place to visit. Wish HAL had option of a morning or afternoon train. I don't think just the morning will be much time to really do anything in Anchorage other than find breakfast.

I am sorry my train from Anchorage won't get me to the ship in time to look around what appears to be a great place to visit. Wish HAL had option of a morning or afternoon train. I don't think just the morning will be much time to really do anything in Anchorage other than find breakfast.

You may have an option of a Kenai Fjords excursion if you have an overnight in Anchorage the night before you board the ship. We are not on the same itinerary as you but we have two nights in Anchorage at the end of our land tour. Our Anchorage excursion options include taking a bus to Seward in the morning and a Kenai Fjords excursion before joining the ship instead of taking the train. We have previously done the Kenai Fjords but we have never taken the train to Seward and the train has wonderful reviews.

IF people are in Girdwood, or Anchorage the night before heading to Seward and on the ship the next day.- I always, recommend, just dropping the group, and book yourself on a bus or train and get yourself to Seward earlier. Very easy to do- IF you choose to. Problem is, a lot of people can't/won't. Their loss unfortunately

It is absolutely correct that the cruise ship transfers leave Anchorage too early and get to Seward too late for much is any touring. a waste of a day, in my opinion, with cruise tours already way to short of a time to begin with. (sorry my opinion only.)

Depending what you want out of your trip, this is a great option to consider.

Your luggage is usually out the night before so in that case the luggage would go to the ship with your group. You would have your carry-ons with you until you are able to board the ship at the appropriate time. Remember, the carry-on is the small bag or backpack that you need to keep with you.

Would HAL still take the luggage with the group even if we told them we were taking an earlier train to Seward?

Is it a taxi from the train to the ship to leave our carry-ons?

I like this idea a lot.

If you turn your luggage over to HAL, then certainly is will be delivered to the ship. BUT, You have to leave the hotel around 5am, so need to verify the procedure. It is also likely your bags will be delivered from the scheduled train, like they have done in the past. Call the RR when the season starts. It also is no consequence to just take the bag yourself either. Vendors will store your bag. and some even will deliver it to the ship during the day.

IF you are considering this for a Kenai Fjords boat tour, then you do not have time to go to the ship. There will be transportation available after your tour.

Two friends and I are doing our 2 week + bucket list trip to Alaska this year. We are flying into Anchorage and doing 7 days on land on our own. After reading tons of reviews of cruise line land tours, we decided we would do it on our own. We're getting to do what we want for $2000 less pp. We're spending 2 of those days in Seward and then taking a Celebrity SB to Vancouver. We've rented a condo in Seward through VRBO so that we can do laundry and take only a week's worth of clothes with us. We'll spend a couple of nights there before heading back to the east coast. Happy planning!

We have added more and more land touring each trip we've made to Alaska. The cruises are wonderful, but off the ship and heading into the rest of the state is an experience not to be missed if possible. We have always skipped any ship cruise tours and set up our own tour plan for two reasons - cost, and flexibility. We like to go where we want, when we want, and leave early or linger if the mood (or wildlife and scenery) hits us that way.

On our first cruise to Alaska, we did Radiance NB from Vancouver to Seward. After a day in Seward kayaking Kenai Fjords, we took the Alaska Railroad to Anchorage, cabbed to the airport (know better now:D), picked up a car, and then spent the next three days on our own heading to Talkeetna, Healy/Denali, and back. It was the best trip we ever took...

Until our next trip to Alaska...

2nd cruise, we spent a week in Homer, Soldotna, Cooper's Landing and Seward, kayaking, bear viewing and fishing, then cruised south, Seward to Vancouver.

In 2015 - 3rd trip - we skipped the cruise and spent two weeks driving from Anchorage to Talkeetna to Fairbanks and then the Dalton Highway all the way to Prudhoe Bay. Then we headed back down to Whittier tour tour Prince William Sound, over to Soldotna, flew over into Lake Clark National Park for three days for bear viewing and fishing, and then fished around Soldotna for a couple more. We used what was then Relay Rides (now Turo) to rent a local car at a fraction of rental rates - even off airport - in Anchorage, for the first week of the trip. It's like VRBO or Homeaway for cars.

We are headed back this summer to make the Seward to Vancouver run, this time on Millennium. We were planning on going back next year, but my mother in law, who will be turning 85 in October, surprised us and said she would do Alaska and we changed our plans. We are using Turo again for our "rental" car needs but other than Seward skipping a pre-cruise land tour this time so we don't wear her out.

Next trip back to Alaska - we'll be back roaming inland on our own...:).

There are myriad options of things to do once off the ship - you'd need weeks or years to try them all! No matter what your family's interests are, you should find plenty of fun and engaging options that will leave you all with some terrific memories and shared experiences before the kids grow up any more. If you are not comfortable setting up the land portion on your own, then the cruise tours seem to be well received and better than not going at all. If, however, you are up for a little research and enjoy the planning (it can be half the fun), then that would be the way to go. Good luck and have a wonderful time!

L.J.

What are your kids interested in?

I've not been to Alaska (taking my first ever cruise, to Alaska, in July.) But I can tell you at 15 years old, there would have been only so much "scenic vacation" I could have handled. I'm doing the cruise because both my traveling companion and I also want "down time" relaxing, etc. Flights in and out of Alaska can be expensive as well. If you were to pick the Seattle round trip, there would be a LOT you can do in Washington state as well!

Depending on the time you have left (you don't mention if you have a week or more outside of the cruising time), you could easily find lots to do in Seattle alone. Visit Pike Place Market (try Beecher's Cheese!) and the waterfront, catch a Mariners or Sounders game (or even a Seahawk's preseason game), do the Underground Tour, visit Pioneer Square, spend a day or two at the Seattle Center (Space Needle, Science Center if there is an exhibit, or the EMP Pop Museum), or even check out Blake Island.

Rent a car and travel south, and there are interesting stops in Tacoma, Olympia, and Portland (could fly out of Portland too). If you do that - do some research on your I-5 traffic timing. It can be a bear.

If you are still interested in more outdoorsy things - there is the Olympic Rain forest, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. St. Helen's (the visitor center there is wonderful!) just to name a few things. Central and Eastern Washington also have their pluses and are different geographically than Western Washington, but I don't think you can fly cross country from the Spokane Airport. Some fantastic wine though!

Don't take the HAL train, book yourself. You get to Seward before noon, whihc gives you plenty of time to explore. You check your luggage through to the ship in Anchorage, and will have about 6 hours to explore before you have to board.

As far as carry on luggage don't bother with anything that you don't want to keep with you as you explore, check all of it through. There is no limit on checked baggage when you book on your own. If you want to take it to the ship you can get a cab or take the 10 minute flat walk to the pier from the station.

My husband and I are booking an Alaskan cruise for June 2018. It will be us and our twins who will be 15 years old by then. We have never been to the West coast or to Alaska. We have narrowed it down to two options and want to get the most "bang for the buck". Here are our options...1) Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Alaskan North Bound (Vancouver to Seward one-way) with the post cruise land tour. This stops at 8 ports. 2) Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas out of Seattle which is a round-trip with stops at 6 ports. We will have to pay over $1800 just for the land tour after the Radiance one-way cruise. After reading some other threads we are wondering if we should do the Radiance, but leave the land tour off and spend more money doing excursions at the ports we visit? Or should we go with the Seattle round-trip cruise? We have placed deposits on both to hold spots. We have a hump balcony on the Seattle round-trip on the Explorer with another room across the hall for the twins. On the Radiance (VC to Seward) we have one balcony room, but it is not a hump balcony. Without the land tour, the cruise portions will be basically the same price. If we do the VC to Seward, but drop the land portion, we will also have to find a way to get to Anchorage for a flight home. This will be a major trip for us and possibly our last big family vacation before our children start driving, gets jobs, etc. We want to have the best Alaskan experience possible for the money we are spending. Please advise between these two cruises and advise if anyone thinks the land tour (train ride / bus ride) is really worth $1800. Thanks in advance.

I would do the one way cruise. The question then becomes do you book the land tour on your own or through the cruise line. If the price is $1800 for all four of you, then it is a no brainer, you book through the cruise line. If it is per person then you probably do it on your own. People like to think that flights are substantially more booking two one ways instead of a round trip and that is usually not the case, but if it is a once in a lifetime trip then the few dollars extra for the one way flights is well worth the money.

Coming from Alabama I will assume that you are on Delta. I recommend that you connect somewhere on the way home instead of flying non stop ANC to ATL as the planes Delta uses on that route are horrible.