One-night cruises

jdvmd

Do the one-night cruises count the same toward Elite status? I am Elite but my husband is at 13 credits and was looking at booking a one-night cruise in a suite in order to get to 15. Would this work?

He could get 2 credits for a suite or he could get 2 credits for booking a regular stateroom as a single. Either would bump him up to elite.

Yup - he can go by himself in any cabin except suite and get two credits. Not sure why you care, though. The only extra benefit for Elite is laundry and if you are in a cabin with him then the cabin gets free laundry (form/bag show last name only) anyway. Son did a couple of these when his wife couldn't go to get one of them to Elite before a long cruise.

Now if you both want to try a suite, the one day cruises often have good prices and you both would get two credits. We did that once on a three day.

Edited by LeeW
more

Do the one-night cruises count the same toward Elite status? I am Elite but my husband is at 13 credits and was looking at booking a one-night cruise in a suite in order to get to 15. Would this work?

Yes it counts but what a waste of time.

My thoughts exactly. The shortest cruise I would ever do is 3 nights .. and while that is way too short, a one or two night cruise is really a waste of time.

Not if you live in the port of embarkation and want to go to the port of disembarkation eg. Vancouver - Seattle. Not to mention, one-nighters are usually 'dirt cheap'!

Having never cruised before, you could become 'Elite' in as few as 5 days by booking suits as a 'solo'.

My thoughts exactly. The shortest cruise I would ever do is 3 nights .. and while that is way too short, a one or two night cruise is really a waste of time.

Everyone is of course entitled to there opinion but I beg to differ. We also live in the Bay Area and a few years back had fun with a long weekend and 2 cruises on Princess. Booked a one way flight from Oak to Seattle. Cruised a 1 nighter from Seattle to Vancouver. Got off that ship and as we disembarked dropped off our luggage on another ship for our cruise from Vancouver back to SF. Took BART to get home. In the interim we met my wife's cousins in Vancouver for lunch. Had a 3 day weekend with a single flight, a floating hotel room and all my meals for less than a night in San Francisco with dinner would have cost. Even got some entertainment. Do not remember the cost of the 2 night cruise but the Seattle to Vancouver was $69pp. At the time we had not made elite so gained 2 legs on that but that was just icing on the cake for a weekend getaway.

Everyone is of course entitled to there opinion but I beg to differ. We also live in the Bay Area and a few years back had fun with a long weekend and 2 cruises on Princess. Booked a one way flight from Oak to Seattle. Cruised a 1 nighter from Seattle to Vancouver. Got off that ship and as we disembarked dropped off our luggage on another ship for our cruise from Vancouver back to SF. Took BART to get home. In the interim we met my wife's cousins in Vancouver for lunch. Had a 3 day weekend with a single flight, a floating hotel room and all my meals for less than a night in San Francisco with dinner would have cost. Even got some entertainment. Do not remember the cost of the 2 night cruise but the Seattle to Vancouver was $69pp. At the time we had not made elite so gained 2 legs on that but that was just icing on the cake for a weekend getaway.

That sounds like a really fun way to do a 3 day weekend.

Now off to see how I can string a weekend together like this. Maybe a repositioning in the fall. :cool:

Cue all the "That's not fair" posts in three...two...one....

I don't really care one way or the other but... Just for you...

Wah, wah, wah!!! We are booked for a 28 day cruise in October and it only counts for one cruise credit. Wah, wah, wah...

Is that good for you? :*

We will likely make Elite someday but it will probably be on days cruised as we have only taken 2 short (4 day) cruises and that was because they fit into our work schedule. These days we don't have to worry about a work schedule so we likely won't be taking many short cruises. Other than those two our shortest was 7 days but it was part of a 13 day cruise tour. I don't care how or when or if others become Elite. Not my deal. I'm just happy we are able to cruise. I really never thought this was something that would be part of our lives.

Note: Not being snarky just messing around and trying to supply the requisite amount of angst. :cool:

Psychology is a weird thing. I've seen it happen where people complain... with the intent of having something taken from others even though they themselves have absolutely nothing to gain... all in the interest of 'fairness'.

Those who complain "It's not fair" re: Cruise Credits, should remember if Princess ever decided to change the policy, they have nothing to gain and might be losing should they ever be in a position to 'take advantage'. :eek:

We've done something similar a coupe of times, but both time overnighted in Vancouver and did some tourist stuff.

Unfortunately, yes.

Unfortunately, you won't see many one nighters. Regulators decided about a year ago that all cruises MUST stop at a foreign port, so Seattle to Vancouver works. We used to have "cruises to nowhere" on the east coast, but regs now prohibit that.

I guess they could do one night trips to the Bahamas from Florida. There are a few low budget ships that now do it, but none of the major lines.

Unfortunately, you won't see many one nighters. Regulators decided about a year ago that all cruises MUST stop at a foreign port, so Seattle to Vancouver works. We used to have "cruises to nowhere" on the east coast, but regs now prohibit that.

I guess they could do one night trips to the Bahamas from Florida. There are a few low budget ships that now do it, but none of the major lines.

Ironically it is regulations, in this case the PVSA which drives the 1 and 2 day cruises on the west coast. Cruise lines want to get into and stay in the lucrative Alaska market as early and as long as possible. Thus in late spring northbound and again in the fall southbound they are moving ships. If they elect, as many do, to base ships in Seattle for closed loop cruises the PVSA comes into play if the ship was previously operating out of SF or LA. They cannot legally move passengers from the California ports to Seattle. They have options. They could just sail empty, not a good revenue concept. Instead they run a short but legal cruise from SF or LA to Vancouver and then drop off their passengers while picking up a new group for the 1 day adventure from Vancouver to Seattle. You cannot stay on the same ship, but if you catch a crossover of two ships doing a similar change you have a quick b2b.

I find it odd that Princess counts a 15 day cruise the same as a one day cruise. On Carnival they count the number of days, which makes more sense to me. No wonder there are so many with Elite status on Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find it odd that Princess counts a 15 day cruise the same as a one day cruise. On Carnival they count the number of days, which makes more sense to me. No wonder there are so many with Elite status on Princess.

While people love to complain about the "cheaters" who make Elite based on the number of cruise credits it is my understanding that cruise credits used to be the only criteria Princess used. Being able to count the number of days sailed was added later so people are actually complaining about the original program rather than complaining about something that was added on later.

They count it either way, much like the airlines do (miles or segments).

I don't really care one way or the other but... Just for you...

Wah, wah, wah!!! We are booked for a 28 day cruise in October and it only counts for one cruise credit. Wah, wah, wah...

Is that good for you? :*

We will likely make Elite someday but it will probably be on days cruised as we have only taken 2 short (4 day) cruises and that was because they fit into our work schedule. These days we don't have to worry about a work schedule so we likely won't be taking many short cruises. Other than those two our shortest was 7 days but it was part of a 13 day cruise tour. I don't care how or when or if others become Elite. Not my deal. I'm just happy we are able to cruise. I really never thought this was something that would be part of our lives.

Note: Not being snarky just messing around and trying to supply the requisite amount of angst. :cool:

Perfect! And were just off the Ruby one nighter from Vancouver to Seattle. Don't need it for Elite, it's just fun!

I am Elite. I enjoyed every cruise getting to Elite. Taking a 1 night cruise

can not be any fun. If you want to be Elite at least have fun getting there. The most important and enjoyable part of the journey to Elite is the Cruising. It is a fantastic journey. The benefits of being Elite are nice too.

I am Elite. I enjoyed every cruise getting to Elite. Taking a 1 night cruise

can not be any fun. If you want to be Elite at least have fun getting there. The most important and enjoyable part of the journey to Elite is the Cruising. It is a fantastic journey. The benefits of being Elite are nice too.

It certainly sounds like Canadian Burger had a fun time from reading his "live from".

I think this would be individual for each person. I certainly have fun doing the 3 hour dinner cruise on the Columbia every summer and spend about the same for the 2 of us as an inside cabin on the Vancouver to Seattle cost.