Royal Princess connecting rooms: too noisy?

Melgi

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to cruising. Here's my question: we (my husband and I) have booked a cruise in December 2017 in an aft balcony cabin, Carib deck. We received an upgrade offer from Princess to a Deluxe balcony on the Riviera deck (midaft). The only problem we can see is that the room offered is connecting to the room adjacent (occupied by people we do not know). Do you think this type of connecting rooms might be noisier than regular cabins (since there's a door inside the room)? Your advice on what to do would be really appreciated. Thank you very much!

Thank you for your tip! I guess this means this type of rooms will let the sound go through one room to the other? (Please excuse my poor English writing, I'm French Canadian!).

It totally depends on how loud each party is....they may be annoyed by YOUR noise! Yes..a towel rolled up and pushed against the space under the door works wonders.

Rarely will folks be bothered....it's no different than a "connecting" room in a hotel!

We always avoid connecting rooms on ships and hotels... ask for a different room if at possible...may be not if you got as an upgrade.

We always pick the room we want on a ship and do not want an upgrade.

Our experience with a connecting room on the Royal was that it was noisier. I don't think our neighbors were speaking particularly loud but we could hear their conversations. We experienced this in any other cabins on any other ships. Try to see if you can move. Otherwise try the towels (wish we would have thought of that!).

Welcome to the board Melgi! Your English is just fine. :) Since you were offered an upgrade, just have your TA get you any available cabin within that category. Or, you can check online to see which cabins within that category are available and just get one of them instead of the one Princess is offering you. They're offering you a category, so anything within it will work. ;)

WoW! Thanks everyone! We'll first try to get another cabin in this category, if not possible, we'll try to reclaim (!) our first cabin. We prefer to be cramped and quiet than in a roomier cabin but stressed out in fear of bothering our neighbors! Your comments were very helpful!

WoW! Thanks everyone! We'll first try to get another cabin in this category, if not possible, we'll try to reclaim (!) our first cabin. We prefer to be cramped and quiet than in a roomier cabin but stressed out in fear of bothering our neighbors! Your comments were very helpful!

I think your making a wise decision.

Tony

FWIW, I've sometimes had MORE noise coming through the walls of non-connecting rooms, so no door is no guarantee that you won't hear your neighbor. It all depends on how noisy (or how loud they snore - that's usually what travels through the walls) your neighbor is.

I have only had one cabin that had a connecting door, and the noise from the other cabin was annoying ... the gentleman's voice was easily heard, though the woman's was rarely heard, and apparently he had a hearing issue because the TV audio was quite audible and was in use late in the evening. (Thank goodness for ear plugs!!) I was really surprised at how much sound bled thru into our cabin.

I now always check carefully before choosing cabin to be sure I won't have to deal with that type of situation again.

Thus far, by avoiding cabins that are connecting, I have not had an issue with noises from the cabins next door being a problem. Whatever sound-deadening material that is placed between the walls of adjoining cabins during construction seems to be very effective.

We had a connecting room on the Royal one time and maybe we had quiet neighbors but I couldn't detect any difference in hearing voices over a standard cabin.

The thing I did notice was when they left their balcony door open the whistle of air rushing under the door was quite loud. It didn't affect our air conditioning but it did get my attention.

This was my first participation in a forum ever, and I'm so glad I got the courage to post my question. You guys are the best! As I understand it, it's a 50/50 kind of situation, and since we're not much of risk takers, we'll decline the connecting room if that's all they have to offer. And as I read in an earlier post, I won't focus on trying to make everything perfect, but instead try to roll with the punches and enjoy our very first cruise as much as we can (nonetheless hoping our next door neighbors are quiet and happy people!) :D Thanks again!

Edited by Melgi

This was my first participation in a forum ever, and I'm so glad I got the courage to post my question. You guys are the best! As I understand it, it's a 50/50 kind of situation, and since we're not much of risk takers, we'll decline the connecting room if that's all they have to offer. And as I read in an earlier post, I won't focus on trying to make everything perfect, but instead try to roll with the punches and enjoy our very first cruise as much as we can (nonetheless hoping our next door neighbors are quiet and happy people!) :D Thanks again!
With that attitude you should have a Great Cruise. Enjoy [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a connecting balcony cabin on our first cruise on the Royal. The people next door liked to leave their balcony door open -- and the wind rushing through the connector door sounded like a freight train! Our steward "fixed the problem" by putting duct tape all around the door -- helped a little but not enough. Front desk didn't really care about the problem. So never again a connecting cabin on the Royal or Regal.

Well, thanks to your great advices, we got to book another Deluxe balcony cabin that is NOT connecting to another room. Hope we made the right decision, but the new room seems great: well situated, great view and (we hope) quieter than the first one they offered. I guess all is well now! Thank you!:)

Well, thanks to your great advices, we got to book another Deluxe balcony cabin that is NOT connecting to another room. Hope we made the right decision, but the new room seems great: well situated, great view and (we hope) quieter than the first one they offered. I guess all is well now! Thank you!:)

Congrats! Enjoy your cruise and welcome to CC!