Civitavecchia Port - What's a good time to embark?

cruzers j&n

Hello - we're headed back to Rome this August and I am trying to finalize transfers. What is a good time to arrive at Civitavecchia so that the crowds are not so packed? Also, how late can we stay on the ship before we get kicked off to disembark? We have a 3 pm flight so I was hoping for a 10:30 am transfer to arrive at FCO around 12 noon. In the past we have had earlier flights so were off the ship by 9 am.

First time sailing on Reflection so feel free to add any suggestions (have sailed on Constellation and Equinox). Thanks in advance!!:)

I would also post this question on the Italy ports board for some targeted responses.

We checked out of our Rome hotel & took the train from Rome (about an hour) and were boarded before noon without too many crowds.

Staying on much past 10:00 might be an issue.

Have a good cruise!

Last November we left Rome around 11 and got to the port around 12:30. The crowds were moderate. We were in a Suite and are Elite +. The lines moved fairly quickly. There can be a bottleneck at security at the scanners because some people act like they've never been through a scanner before and don't take off their belts, watches, etc. Frustrating more than anything else...

If you booked your transfers with the cruise line you will undoubtedly be off the ship by 9:00 AM (regardless of how late your fight may be departing) and as another poster stated it is unlikely that you can remain on board beyond 10:00 AM. FCO (especially if you are flying on a US carrier) is as close to a nightmare as you can get. Last year we were warehoused outside the terminal (with only chemical toilets for our "convenience") for nearly two hours before they would allow us entry to the terminal. While we have never had a problem with cruises that begin there, we have sworn that we will no longer book a cruise that ENDS in Civitavecchia.

I would also post this question on the Italy ports board for some targeted responses.

We checked out of our Rome hotel & took the train from Rome (about an hour) and were boarded before noon without too many crowds.

Staying on much past 10:00 might be an issue.

Have a good cruise!

We are planning to take the train to Civi. How did you get to the ship from the train station?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are planning to take the train to Civi. How did you get to the ship from the train station?

It used to be an easy walk to the port shuttle, but they changed the shuttle location a few years back & haven't moved it back yet, so it's either a taxi to the ship from the train station, or take a bus (2 E each, as of last May) to the port shuttle stop, & then the shuttle (Free) to the actual dock.

It used to be an easy walk to the port shuttle, but they changed the shuttle location a few years back & haven't moved it back yet, so it's either a taxi to the ship from the train station, or take a bus (2 E each, as of last May) to the port shuttle stop, & then the shuttle (Free) to the actual dock.

You can still walk to the port (stop near McDonalds). But they take you to a central place where you change buses to go to the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't know if it is still true but last year when we arrived at FCO after a transfer from our cruise, the American and Israeli airlines were housed in a separate building. Their were many armed guards, we were interviewed prior to transfer to the main terminal, and our luggage was screened. Very tight security. Overall, I would say if this is still the practice give yourself 2 1/2 to 3 hours before boarding.

You can walk it. Absolutely no need for a taxi or intermediary bus.

You can walk it, but I wouldn't want to be dragging a cruise worth of clothes from train station to dock, especially if you've done the mile long walk to get on the train in Rome station :D

When you get off the train, you go out of the station and there is a kiosk that you get tickets from for the bus that will take you to the stop where you then pick up the shuttle bus to the ship. It's a hassle, but perfectly do'able :)

Or you could get a taxi, but I admit to not seeing any outside the station so not sure how that bit works.

You can pay extra to stay on the boat longer (up until 90 mins before boat leaves), but not sure if worth it for a couple of hours - it's an option though.

Hello - we're headed back to Rome this August and I am trying to finalize transfers. What is a good time to arrive at Civitavecchia so that the crowds are not so packed? Also, how late can we stay on the ship before we get kicked off to disembark? We have a 3 pm flight so I was hoping for a 10:30 am transfer to arrive at FCO around 12 noon. In the past we have had earlier flights so were off the ship by 9 am.

First time sailing on Reflection so feel free to add any suggestions (have sailed on Constellation and Equinox). Thanks in advance!!:)

Goto your Cruise Planner, you will probably have the option of Extend your Stay and will be able to stay onboard albeit not in your cabin - Cost about £30/pp