Any plans for Coke Freestyle machines to be fleet wide?

aotmc

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but has there been any chatter or rumors about Coke Freestyle machines being installed in any more ships. I know the Koningsdam has the option already, hoping it is popular and it will be fleet wide. Any word?

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but has there been any chatter or rumors about Coke Freestyle machines being installed in any more ships. I know the Koningsdam has the option already, hoping it is popular and it will be fleet wide. Any word?

First I've heard of this. How does it work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Freestyle

It's got cartridges of concentrated flavors inside. It is a lot like an inkjet printer for soda.

Why would a ship that sells beverage cards want to avbe people pouring gallons of soda on their own? who would pay if they can have it for no exra charge?

The way it works is you pay for unlimited (like their current unlimited soda option) and you get an RFID chip cup that only works if you paid. It saves them the human resource if having bartenders deal with the soda requests. It already is in one ship. It is not free.

Why would a ship that sells beverage cards want to avbe people pouring gallons of soda on their own? who would pay if they can have it for no exra charge?

The system is pretty slick. The RFID enabled cups work for a fixed period of time. At the World of Coca-Cola at Disney World's Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney, formerly Disney Village Marketplace) the cup is good for half an hour. The machine logs it in on first use and cuts it off 30 minutes later.

I don't drink soda, but I'm fascinated by the technology. If you are going on the Koningsdam and want to risk being thrown in the Soda Brig, go to YouTube and search for Coca-Cola Freestyle Secret Menu or Crew Mode or how to open.

These Freestyle machines have been on RCI ships for years and are very popular. Being as the cruise lines tend to copy one another on these little things, I think it very likely they will expand to more HAL ships. Then again, RCI is more of a family line and the machines seem get a lot more use from the teens.

The way it works is you pay for unlimited (like their current unlimited soda option) and you get an RFID chip cup that only works if you paid. It saves them the human resource if having bartenders deal with the soda requests. It already is in one ship. It is not free.

Thanks for explaining. i drink maybe one diet coke in a year so I am really out of that loop; ' :o

Do the these special cups get recycled or end up in the landfill? What is exactly embedded int them to make them smart-cups. Thanks. I gather they are like the smart cards used on metro systems that they do request get recycled.

Do the these special cups get recycled or end up in the landfill? What is exactly embedded int them to make them smart-cups. Thanks. I gather they are like the smart cards used on metro systems that they do request get recycled.

They're sturdy plastic cups, sorta like Tervis Tumblers. They're actually really nice. You don't throw them away...you keep them.

It's an RFID "chip." However, they can actually be very flat. Did you ever see those package stickers that have the little copper or silver colored square spiral things underneath? That's a passive RFID chip.

We've sailed on RCI's Anthem of the Seas, where they have the Coke Freestyle machines as well. While it's nice to be able to have the choice of many flavors of soda, and to mix flavors, carrying around that large mug with the chip in it was a PITA, and mostly I never had it with me. (Also, the machines were frequently empty, or at least empty of popular flavors.)

For people who haven't seen these machines, you can find them at Five Guys and probably many other food places as well.

From HAL website press release about drinks:

"

• The Coca-Cola Package includes unlimited fountain sodas for $8.00 per person, per day. On ms Koningsdam this package also includes the Coca-Cola Freestyle program with more than 100 unique Coca-Cola flavors. "

https://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1448

also seems to be included in higher more inclusive packages too.

Anybody know what the cost is? Is it the way the soda card is administered on Konningsdam? Any other info on the cost factor?