Upgrade to premium alcohol or pay the difference - thoughts?

WeLuv2Cruz13

Have classic alcohol package but with the new roll out of paying the difference for a premium drink was wondering if I should just pay the difference? Would it just be easier to pay the $82 difference? Thoughts? Anyone just off that may have an opinion?

Also was the "can of pop" confusion finally cleared up with the classic package?

Personally, I believe it all depends on how much you plan to drink. Your best bet is to board with the Classic package and give it a test drive for the first day or two and see if you're perfectly happy keeping what you have and paying the occasional price difference. You can upgrade your package at any bar or at Guest Relations save a bit of money that way and still enjoy the Premium for the majority of your cruise. On my last cruise, I flirted with upgrading and ultimately decided to stay with the classic and was content; on my upcoming one I will have the premium, and this might sway me to upgrade on future cruises :D;).

I've always upgraded but that was before this new policy. I'll still probably upgrade as I'm sure I'll go over the $11.80/day between martini's, better wine and I prefer Grey Goose to absolute. Also I don't want to be bothered w/ having to sign for each drink that is above the package amount.

Don't decide until you get on board. Like stated, it will DEPEND on your choices and how much you drink. We find on a two week itinerary that after 4 or 5 days, we hit our capacity quicker. So it wouldn't be a good value for us to upgrade.

Great question. I've only upgraded for the martinis as there's lots of other things in the classic. I automatically upgraded it online and never thought how much id save by just paying the difference, I may go days without a martini, then have 2 or 3 in one day. I see a spreadsheet coming my way

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off the Equinox and no cans of soda with the Classic package. Many passengers with the Classis pkg weren't aware of the changes to the beverage package. The bartenders took some heat when they couldn't serve soda in cans.

Even if you have the premium package most drinks are made with well spirits unless you request a premium brand or are at the Martini and World Class Bars.

Wait until on board and decide if you need it. I usually stick with the classic and found that I can get intoxicated just as easy as I would in the premium.

Drink up 🍷🍺🍹🍸🥂

We always have and have already upgraded our package this cruise despite the changes, I don't really want to be working out if it is better value on a day by day basis, I would rather enjoy myself without having to put too much thought into it. We also spent a lot of time at the World Class Bar, 2 or 3 of their cocktails and I'm sure it is breakeven for the day.

We always have and have already upgraded our package this cruise despite the changes, I don't really want to be working out if it is better value on a day by day basis, I would rather enjoy myself without having to put too much thought into it. We also spent a lot of time at the World Class Bar, 2 or 3 of their cocktails and I'm sure it is breakeven for the day.

l - good approach, for sure. No need to carry a calculator around trying to figure out if it is worth it or not.One package or the other. If the question is asked, I recommend Classic and find out at the end of the sailing for preparations for the next. By then you will know if it was worth it or not based on charges afterwards.

bon voyage

I like all the different martinis at the martini bar so for me it is worth it to upgrade. I usually have at least 3 ever evening,plus I like a better grade of tequila in my margarita.

Laura

Being able to pay the price difference, with the Classic Package, is somewhat of a game changer. We do think it makes sense to wait until one is aboard and try a day or two with the Classic Package. If you find that you are spending enough upgrading your drinks to justify the Premium Package...you can simply upgrade (just ask any bar waiter or bartender).

Hank

Being able to pay the price difference, with the Classic Package, is somewhat of a game changer. We do think it makes sense to wait until one is aboard and try a day or two with the Classic Package. If you find that you are spending enough upgrading your drinks to justify the Premium Package...you can simply upgrade (just ask any bar waiter or bartender).

Hank

Sorry to appear dumb but can someone explain to me this new game changer? From what I can make out you just pay the extra on your drink, not the full cost like it used to be. We're considering upgrading to premium on our June 4 Eclipse sailing, but want to wait a day or two before doing so. On previous cruises we've upgraded with our sommelier, all of them have gone out of the way to give us that extra bit, quite often getting DH single malts and me wines which weren't on the list:)

Sorry to appear dumb but can someone explain to me this new game changer?

It's a "game changer" this way...X has changed the rules of the drinking package game.

In the past, even an occasional drink off the classic list made the premium package the "go to" menu. Now you can change things up a bit without reaching the upgraded Premium package cost.

To some this can matter. To others that prefer their daily martinis in quantity, won't make any difference.

Edited by eandj

We currently have one of us upgraded to premium while the other keeps the classic package. It seems we can just put premium bottled water on the card with the premium package (i.e. have that person order it), for example. The same should work for drinks, as most of the things we are likely to order are covered by the classic package... but between the two of us, probably enough will exceed that limit to make one premium package worthwhile. So we just have to remember to order pricier drinks with one of the cards.

We're traveling on the Summit this Sunday. Happy to report back how that works out. If it ends up being too complicated (though I doubt it), we can always just upgrade both cards to the premium package once on board. Since we're spending two nights in Bermuda, I expect we're quite likely to be at a bar on shore instead on those nights. So that means we'd have to "make up" the difference on the remaining nights, which seems pretty unlikely.