When did they upgrade you?

MRF777

We had several complimentary upgrades many years ago closer to sailing however none since Princess has become so successful with their upsell offers.

We've received upsell offers on all of our cruises in the past 5 years & have sometimes paid for an upsell to upgrade. I've read posts from a few passengers receiving complimentary upgrades but many more passengers who receive paid upsell offers.

If no one is willing to pay for an upsell offer & Princess has a passenger willing to pay a higher cruise fare then a complimentary upgrade may be offered. There's no way to predict when that could happen but based on my experience & of other passengers, free upgrades are much more rare now since upsells have been so successful at generating additional income for Princess. ;)

The last that we received was 7 years ago, three days before an Alaskan cruise.

I particularly remember the details because we were in a pre-cruise trip to Vancouver when we read the email and I remarked that the new cabin number, 407 was the same as my childhood street number. "What are the odds?"

Then we went inside and checked into our hotel and were handed the room key for 407.

Both the room and the later cabin were fantastic. Happy sails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done 60 Princess cruises and have never been upgraded or offered an up sell. So don't hold your breath! ! Have given up hoping. Probably think we are hooked and won't bother. Would nice to be rewarded a little for our loyalty. Still, we do have the nice Elite benefits which we enjoy.

When do they usually send a up sell email?..I'm on my 9th Princess cruise and have never received either.

For our January 2017 we declined an upsell to a balcony from an inside cabin less than 2 months before sailing. We received another offer 30 days in advance to an obstructed oceanview cabin which we accepted...$100 for both of us on a 15-day cruise was reasonable for us. ;)

In April 2016 we received an upsell from inside to a balcony a month before sailing which we declined.

We were upgraded from B1 balcony to MB mini for our 2/23/18 Crown cruise a year in advance . Earliest that we ever received an upgrade .

I really believe it was to convince us to follow thru with the $1 p/p deposit from the 1 day Cyber Sale in Nov. that we booked on a whim.

It worked , now we are definitely going .

It was a good sale besides the low deposit , good rate , Free Grat's & OBC .

If not for reading about the 1 day sale here on CC , we would have missed it for sure

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I received an upgrade at the pier, no notification to us or to TA. Reservation was marked do not upgrade as we were were part of a family group, but the upgrade was from inside to handicap accessible balcony just down the hall so perfectly fine with us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm just curious for those of you that got upgrades, when did Princess do the upgrade?..at the pier? or a month or so before sailing?..thanks

Sometimes people think the cabin was assigned at the pier but had they checked the personalizer the night before or the day of their cruise they may have seen the cabin assignment at that time. The bag tag/travel summary link where the cabin change would be noted is available for viewing up to sailing time.

IMO......

Most of the time now it will be an upsell for a price and not a free upgrade.

Sometimes people think the cabin was assigned at the pier but had they checked the personalizer the night before or the day of their cruise they may have seen the cabin assignment at that time. The bag tag/travel summary link where the cabin change would be noted is available for viewing up to sailing time.

IMO......

I think you are right. After I print luggage tags and boarding passes I rarely go back into the personalizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got an upgrade from a balcony to a deluxe balcony about a month before sailing. We declined because we didn't like the location. Next cruise we received an upsell offer from balcony to mini suite about three weeks before sailing.

I wish I knew the formula when they offer upgrades or upsells. On the cruise that they offered us the upsell others were getting move over offers a few days before the cruise. So I thought that upsell or upgrade is to fill the ship but maybe in that one case, they filled it too much?

I think you are right. After I print luggage tags and boarding passes I rarely go back into the personalizer.

I guess you could call it that anyway :D you did find out at the pier. :cool:

It's all good. :)

Not saying it can't happen but probably pretty rare.

It's only a guess but maybe the price we pay for a cruise might be another factor.

Maybe those paying a higher price would more often get free upgrades while passengers paying less would be more likely to receive upsell offers. :confused:

Probably only the Princess yield management's algorithm knows for sure and that computer isn't talking & has exiled the Upgrade Fairy to a remote island. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

True "upgrade", not an upsell, My husband was upgraded on his last cruise the day before. He got an email but didn't reprint his boarding pass.

On my last cruise with mom and sister it was a month before(?) And no notifications to either me or my TA

They are never expected but nice to see. Some cruises we leave it open for upgrade and others we keep our room. Depends if we got a cabin we wanted or not, but we try to book what we want (desired deck and location)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only a guess but maybe the price we pay for a cruise might be another factor.

Maybe those paying a higher price would more often get free upgrades while passengers paying less would be more likely to receive upsell offers. :confused:

Probably only the Princess yield management's algorithm knows for sure and that computer isn't talking & has exiled the Upgrade Fairy to a remote island. ;)

Yeah, and whoever works in that department or knows the "code" probably has to swear to secrecy!;)

Done 60 Princess cruises and have never been upgraded or offered an up sell. So don't hold your breath! ! Have given up hoping. Probably think we are hooked and won't bother. Would nice to be rewarded a little for our loyalty. Still, we do have the nice Elite benefits which we enjoy.

It's just the "luck of the draw". We're Elite and have received 2 upsells since be hit Elite. Also, had a couple before Elite. Never gotten an upgrade...Drat.

I'm just curious for those of you that got upgrades, when did Princess do the upgrade?..at the pier? or a month or so before sailing?..thanks

\

What's an upgrade? We cruised with Princess many, many times and have never been upgraded. We got a call about a month ago asking if we would like an upgrade for several hundred dollars more per person. Going from a balcony to a mini suite. We said no, it wasn't worth it for us. Then I was informed here that it wasn't an upgrade but an upsell. Then the thread went down hill from there. If you expect an upgrade don't say it here or you'll get creamed.

I'm just curious for those of you that got upgrades, when did Princess do the upgrade?..at the pier? or a month or so before sailing?..thanks[/quote

I got one about 6 weeks before the start of my cruise.

Tony

IMO......

I agree. We were once upgraded from an inside forward cabin to a HC balcony on Caribe deck. We weren't notified of the change and I just happened to see it on the personalizer a few weeks before the cruise. If I hadn't been checking stuff we would have been quite surprised at the pier. We were actually quite surprised anyway as a free upgrade from an inside forward cabin to a huge balcony cabin on Caribe was amazing. Not only is the balcony normally larger on Caribe but the HC cabin is about 1.5 times as wide as a normal balcony cabin which, of course, meant the balcony was that big as well. Loved the space in that cabin. Obviously nobody who needed that type of cabin had booked so we got lucky.

We were doing a B2B Caribbean on the first cruise I checked email (before MS decided that using a different computer meant that someone else was using the account and without another email or cell phone to send the verification code to effectively locks you out of the account till you return home - I'm really looking forward to that happening in just over a week when we are doing the 28 day Majestic) and saw that we had an upgrade from a mini to a full suite,

Course Princess knew what they were doing, we have only done suites since (apart from a port intensive Med. cruise when there would have been only one day we could have done the Sabatini breakfast).