Deluxe drink package

My husband and I always buy our own. We both enjoy having drinks together and we usually end up having that 4-5 a day ( don't judge us! ;) ) that make the drink package worth it. If one person only wants a drink or two a day, buy it! I wouldn't risk the humiliation of being caught. Just my 2 cents!

Also, I have been on cruises with a lot of friends and NONE of them have ever just bought one drink package and shared it... so I guess we all were part of the 5%... Proud of it though. :D

Honestly, we thought about it because I don't drink that much and DH claimed he was not going to drink because he is working out and into fitness. But I know my DH and that is not going to happen. ;) In the end, we decided it was not really worth the hassle because we may both want to have a drink at the same time, dining room, theater, or in public area without having to walk away and pretend. And I am celebrating my birthday. So we both got it. It probably would have worked out better to pay out of pocket, but if I did that, I would not really drink anything and would be stressing (and giving the dagger eyes) whenever DH got a drink.

Now, to be perfectly honest, I might share a bottle of water with my 6 year old when in port. I am not buying her any kind of package because she really won't use it. She does not drink soda- just milk or water and tap water is fine. But off the ship, I will probably bring a couple of bottles of water. And if she wants some, I am going to let her have it. And I really don't feel bad about that, especially since I drink so little bottled water myself that Royal will come out on top there.

My husband and I enjoy having drinks at the same time, such as when we are watching shows. Stealing drinks wouldn't be worth it for us, plus it would be hard to completely relax always worrying about getting caught. If someone else does it, that's on them. I don't care.

Give me a break. I have never seen a single bar tender bust anyone. Exactly how are they trained? You just can't be an idiot when giving your spouse a drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are actually a few posts on here where people were in fact busted for sharing their package and had their package revoked, and charged for the drinks they had already "purchased".

It's reasons like this that the drink package is the price that it is now, because of those who "share" the package.

To the OP, the answer is quite simple. Just purchase your drinks as you go if you see now value in the package for yourself.

Is it possible to buy a round with the package (i.e., a "free" drink for me and pay for the others)? I've never had it and am curious if it's straight forward or if it's easier to just hand the bartender 4 cards.

Is it possible to buy a round with the package (i.e., a "free" drink for me and pay for the others)? I've never had it and am curious if it's straight forward or if it's easier to just hand the bartender 4 cards.

They have the ability to give you your "free" drink from the package and charge your card for other drinks.

Yes you can buy around. We did last year. Gave our cards and said who all we were buying for. Some had the drink package also and handed their cards over others didn't. Server brought us a receipt, signed and added a tip. I think out of the 12 we bought around for 4 drinks we paid for the rest had packages.

Buying a round when they have the package is just more a symbolic gesture &/or means you are the one running for the next round of refills.

Loyal2Royal

MOTS 11/04, NOTS 4/18,

Allure 9/17, Anthem 4/18

Yes. You can also show up alone with multiple cards that have drink packages and get a round. I will say this: what a BARTENDER chooses to do is on him. And yes I have seen them not charge for that extra drink when a person requests to buy a second drink with his own on the package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You go to dinner somewhere with a buffet AND an a la carte menu. You get the buffet because you want the prime rib AND the crap legs AND the dessert. Your sig other doesn't eat very much so they don't want the buffet. Would you tell that person to purchase something from the a la carte menu then? Or would you go and load up your plate and get them a plate too because "they don't eat very much"?

There are options for a reason - get the drink package if you think it will save you money and you like having the freedom of drinking whatever you want without worrying about cost. Don't get it if you won't use it and go a la carte. If as you say he doesn't drink a lot, then it shouldn't be a big expense to purchase his beverages separately.

Do you like to hit an evening nightclub, show, or order a glass or two of wine with dinner? Then it becomes a problem as those servers will know pretty quickly what you are doing.

If you are only "stealing" your DW 2-3 drinks a day then you are only 2-3 drink away from breaking even. Then take into consideration the bottle water, juice, and coffee it's easily a break even.

My concern is this becomes an issue then RCCL will go the way of Carnival and make everybody in the cabin buy a package.

Is truly necessary for both my husband and I to both get a drink package. I know I should ask but is there a way around this if I just want a few drinks here and there and he buys the package for him and gives me drinks. I know I know... don't judge me but surely I'm not the only one thinking about this or has done it. #dontjudgeme

And this is why they are continually putting the prices up on the drinks packages - to compensate for all the people trying to cheat the system :mad:

My husband and I both buy a package, why shouldn't you? I can't imagine sneaking around the entire cruise, trying to get drinks for two people off of one package without being noticed. We pay for it and consider it part of the price of the trip.

Our next cruise we have bought the drinks package. Previously I have bought as I went.

Personally I couldn't enjoy a drink that I had gotten by deception. It wouldn't go down right, if you know what I mean, leave a bit of a bad taste really.

Each to their own though 🙂

And this is why they are continually putting the prices up on the drinks packages - to compensate for all the people trying to cheat the system :mad:

I'm just asking. I haven't done it's my first cruise people that we've talked to who I've cruised before keep saying it, not that I'm doing it or going to do I'm simply asking what everyone's experience is

Do you like to hit an evening nightclub, show, or order a glass or two of wine with dinner? Then it becomes a problem as those servers will know pretty quickly what you are doing.

If you are only "stealing" your DW 2-3 drinks a day then you are only 2-3 drink away from breaking even. Then take into consideration the bottle water, juice, and coffee it's easily a break even.

My concern is this becomes an issue then RCCL will go the way of Carnival and make everybody in the cabin buy a package.

I

Same thing happened with Disney character meals. Years ago you could bring a child who couldn't eat in for a very small entertainment fee. Now if you bring in a child or adult that is completely tube fed they will charge you the full price. People started saying they weren't going to eat because of allergies, illness, etc. and demanded the entertainment fee price. I am sure those people who tried to cheat the system justified it by saying they already paid a lot for their vacation, and their kid won't eat much, or the adult isn't really a breakfast eater etc.

Is truly necessary for both my husband and I to both get a drink package. I know I should ask but is there a way around this if I just want a few drinks here and there and he buys the package for him and gives me drinks. I know I know... don't judge me but surely I'm not the only one thinking about this or has done it. #dontjudgeme

I've asked he same question and got yelled at.

Give me a break. I have never seen a single bar tender bust anyone. Exactly how are they trained? You just can't be an idiot when giving your spouse a drink.

Seriously? I've seen them busted on every cruise.

The best one was on the Majesty. A lady was getting drinks and passing them off to her 18 year old daughter. Upper management got involved in that one. I don't think the outcome was very good.

I've never gotten the drink package and I usually only drink a couple a day. I was considering getting the package they have now though that includes internet, which I would purchase anyway. I would also purchase the soda package anyway, so it's not that much more to get it all.

I'm confused though. I see people talking about adding a tip, but the online checkout adds 18% to the price of the package. My understanding was that was the tip built into it when you go to get your drinks. If you're having to tip, which I do when ordering a la carte, that would make the package that much more expensive, and what's the point of the 18% then?

I've never gotten the drink package and I usually only drink a couple a day. I was considering getting the package they have now though that includes internet, which I would purchase anyway. I would also purchase the soda package anyway, so it's not that much more to get it all.

I'm confused though. I see people talking about adding a tip, but the online checkout adds 18% to the price of the package. My understanding was that was the tip built into it when you go to get your drinks. If you're having to tip, which I do when ordering a la carte, that would make the package that much more expensive, and what's the point of the 18% then?

I bought that package. I don't plan to tip unless I get above and beyond service.

... I'm confused though. I see people talking about adding a tip, but the online checkout adds 18% to the price of the package. My understanding was that was the tip built into it when you go to get your drinks. If you're having to tip, which I do when ordering a la carte, that would make the package that much more expensive, and what's the point of the 18% then?

It's not necessary to add a tip to each drink when you have a beverage package. Some people want to add more, that's their option.