Block party?

I love the block parties, too, but our last cruise (last month) was port-intensive and they didn't do it until like day 6 of a 10-night cruise, and by that time I was beat. It was the first one out of my 7 Regent cruises I haven't attended... :(

Thanks for the replies. We haven't cruised with Regent for four (long) years, so I was wondering if they still held the block parties as I realize things might have changed. Am hoping one will take place on the Navigator at some point during the 15-night cruise!:)

We will be on the Navigator in October and are wondering if Regent still organizes the block party. We've enjoyed them in the past. Thanks!:)

Can I please show my ignorance and ask what a Block Party is please :confused:

At a designated time, passengers walk out of their suite with wine glass in hand. Wine will be poured and "nibbles" will be passed. While you are meeting your neighbors, the Captain, General Manager and Cruise Director run through the halls shaking hands. They start at the top deck and keep going down the stairs and hallways until the reach the bottom.

It is a get to know your neighbors event. At 6 pm, the CD rings the ships gong and they make an announcement. Everyone grabs a glass from their room and goes out in the hall in whatever state of dress they are currently in--evening wear, jeans, gym clothes, bathrobe. The cabin stewards and butlers are out serving drinks and light canapés. You visit with your neighbors. While this is going on, the captain and CD start at the top of the ship and run down past every suite, greeting every passenger along the way. It really is pretty fun.

Several years ago, on our very first Regent cruise ( a crossing from Monte Carlo to Rio), they did a block party. It was one of those things that endear us to Regent. I know of no other line that does anything like that, so it's really special when it happens. I'm pretty sure you need a least a couple of sea days to have one, as with port intensive itineraries, there just isn't a chance to do it. We also had a "Country Fair" on a sea day, that was also great fun. Each shipboard department had a booth with a game that you could do and win tickets for prizes....again, you need some sea days. A transatlantic will give you a good chance for one, or both of these fun events.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies re the Block Party!:D Good to know that Regent still does this on some of their itineraries. I hope we have one!

I had not heard of the Country Fair. That sounds like a lot of fun and an enjoyable way to spend a sea day. We will have 5 days at sea total (interspersed with island visits) so I hope we can at experience this as well. What kind of "prizes" do they give out? Can't be "free drinks" vouchers...!;p

One of our ports of call this October is St. Georges, Bermuda, with an overnight there. On one of our past Regent cruises we visited Hamilton, Bermuda on the Navigator and they held a "Beatles Night." We had Hamilton rockin' to "Hey Jude" and its one of our fondest memories of that cruise. Anyone know if they still hold Beatles Night?

Thanks for indulging me in these crazy questions!

Happy to hear that Beatles Night still happens! Even though it was several years ago, I can remember it so clearly. The CD was Lorraine and the entertainment staff was outstanding. There was a group of elderly ladies sitting together at one table. The entertainers went over to them and coaxed them onto the dance floor, mindful of their limited mobility. There were a couple of ladies who apparently needed to remain seated, and the entertainers just held their hands and swayed to the music. I had tears in my eyes as I watched them, so enjoying watching their enjoyment. The sheer joy on their faces was priceless.

The entertainers may have just been "doing their job," but in that moment, on that beautiful night in Bermuda, human kindness transcended any job description.

Several years ago, on our very first Regent cruise ( a crossing from Monte Carlo to Rio), they did a block party. It was one of those things that endear us to Regent. I know of no other line that does anything like that, so it's really special when it happens. I'm pretty sure you need a least a couple of sea days to have one, as with port intensive itineraries, there just isn't a chance to do it. We also had a "Country Fair" on a sea day, that was also great fun. Each shipboard department had a booth with a game that you could do and win tickets for prizes....again, you need some sea days. A transatlantic will give you a good chance for one, or both of these fun events.

We had both a block party and country fair on the Paul Gauguin (this well after Pacific Beachcomber took over the ship) during a two-week cruise in French Polynesia.

Have "held my water" on this particular aspect of a Regent cruise--all four ships on which we have sailed going back to 2003, when Regent was then Radisson.

Positive experience, requiring little more than going outside one's igloo (suite) at 1800H, usually one-night after the Captain's Reception, with wine glass in hand. It is through this venue that we have met our immediate neighbors. On one occasion on a Voyager Auckland-Los Angeles segment in 2006, met a dear couple with whom we have established an ongoing friendship--to include residential visits when our domiciles are 3,000 miles apart. So, a significant contact. Plus, coordinating meeting them on two subsequent Regent cruises.

Sometimes it works; sometimes, it does not, as to continuing post-cruise social interactions. In no occasion have we found ourselves outside our suite with no-one in sight, right or left. Usually, some "clusters" develop. And then--here comes the Captain, with attendants. Therefore, some connections are made with folks beyond those panels separating the verandas.

No doubt, this venue will continue when Sue and I are onboard Navigator in less than two weeks for our Amazon River adventure.

GoARMY!

No doubt, this venue will continue when Sue and I are onboard Navigator in less than two weeks for our Amazon River adventure.

GoARMY!

Agree that sometimes it works better than other times. We attended for years but did not attend on our Explorer cruises.

As you know, we are anxiously awaiting your reports from the Navigator. We are mostly interested in everything about the Amazon but also have some questions about the newly refurbished Navigator.