Embarkation with a hidden disability

EndersFoul

hi all

My mom will be joining us on a cruise out of Seattle. She has chronic pain which gets worse when standing still for a long period of time - say like waiting in line to board the cruise. Here are my questions

1) what does assisted boarding mean? Will she get to go straight thru security when we arrive?

2) will my husband and I get to go with her or will we have to meet her on the ship?

3) has princess ever questioned "hidden" disabilities? Usually the questions here are about wheelchair assistance

Thank you! CC friends are great help to an anxious daughter :)

hi all

My mom will be joining us on a cruise out of Seattle. She has chronic pain which gets worse when standing still for a long period of time - say like waiting in line to board the cruise. Here are my questions

1) what does assisted boarding mean? Will she get to go straight thru security when we arrive?

2) will my husband and I get to go with her or will we have to meet her on the ship?

3) has princess ever questioned "hidden" disabilities? Usually the questions here are about wheelchair assistance

My wife has walking difficulties. Some days are better than others. Some days she walks without problems, some slowly with a cane, and sometimes she needs the wheelchair assistance for boarding. When using a cane and not requesting a wheelchair, sometimes she was offered the chance to bypass lines and sometimes not.

Is your mom comfortable sitting in a wheelchair? If so, the best alternative may be wheelchair assistance. Then she can sit while waiting instead of standing in line. You may be able to bypass standing in line otherwise, but it may be more difficult.

One or two people can go with her - especially if you are in the same cabin. Are there just the three of you. They may not let a large family group go with her - it depends on the ship and the port.

Sailed out of Seattle with 90 year old mom who required wheelchair assist. We coordinated that via Princess for getting on and getting off the ship. We rented a wheelchair for her use onboard (and in hind sight, wish we had sprung for a scooter as she could have been more independent).

We were a group of 10 and all 10 of us were able to check in together and board together...I think we boarded together--been a few years! But if just 2 of you with her, then I would think they'd have you both go with her and not be leaving one person behind for later boarding.

My DH has severe OA and spine issues, and can't handle long walk paths or much standing either.

Seattle is pretty much an optimal port in terms of accessibility. The normal flow is generally short and has seating opportunities where waits can be long. The accessible flow is significantly shorter by virtue of how close the exit door is to accessible check-in.

Everyone uses the same blissfully-short security queues upon arriving at the terminal. There is a long escalator from the ground level to the check-in level, or an adjacent elevator. All three of you should be able to clear security together and check in together at the first desk you come to. I've never seen more than two parties waiting to check in, and they're good about pulling from the accessible queue to an adjacent available agent.

Once through, there is an accessible waiting area immediately behind you if boarding hasn't started yet. I can't imagine two travel companions would be a problem.

Unlike Los Angeles there is usually a pretty significant ramp with switchbacks to boarding on the promenade deck. If that's problematic, consider asking for wheelchair assistance.

You can request for wheelchair assistance upon arrival at the port terminal. You and your husband can join her on the check-in and boarding process where she will be given priority boarding. A day prior to disembarkation, you can request for the same assistance at the Passenger Services Desk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can request for wheelchair assistance upon arrival at the port terminal. You and your husband can join her on the check-in and boarding process where she will be given priority boarding. A day prior to disembarkation, you can request for the same assistance at the Passenger Services Desk.

So will she HAVE to sit in a wheelchair? That's my question, she doesn't need a wheelchair she can walk it's standing still for a long time. I'm wondering if Princess will insist she uses a wheelchair which is a deal breaker for her.

I agree that it might be best to arrive after 1pm. I have seen lines of people standing around waiting to get a wheelchair. I hate to say it but there are many people that say they need a wheelchair just so they can be one of the first people to board - then they jump out of the chair and run off. It is unfair because there are ,any people, like your mom, who really need one.

When we go around 2pm, there are no lines and you can just walk on. Much less stressful.

So will she HAVE to sit in a wheelchair? That's my question, she doesn't need a wheelchair she can walk it's standing still for a long time. I'm wondering if Princess will insist she uses a wheelchair which is a deal breaker for her.

No and they will not insist.

hi all

Hello Ender,

Our experience has been that, should you make your Mom's problem known to the terminal personnel, they will expedite her and yourselves through. We arranged for some people we were traveling with to get preferred boarding in October and it ended up that they were placed in a bypass line when the port person observed his cane and obvious discomfort in standing. I know that condition as I have some chronic L5/S1 issues that show up on standing still on hard surfaces.

hi all

Here is what will happen when you arrive at Pier 91 in Seattle. If you arrive by private vehicle or limo you will find any number of people directing traffic in that area, notify one of them that you need a wheelchair and they will contact a person who will get you a wheelchair. Depending on how many people are already getting wheelchair assistance, there may be a wait of a few minutes before one will arrive. Just have a seat on one of the nearby benches until a wheelchair arrives. If you arrive via a taxi or a shuttle from the airport, you will be in the vicinity of the wheelchair pushers. If you are on a motorcoach from the airport, a person will come aboard your coach to welcome you to the pier and give you some general information before you get off the coach. At the end of that briefing he/she should ask if anyone needs a wheelchair. If that doesn't occur, get the briefer's attention and let them know your need and they will take care of you. Since you said your mother has a problem with standing a long time, but no problem walking, I would definitely request the wheelchair as the check-in line can definitely involved standing and waiting! As to your question about "hidden" disabilities, you will not be questioned about that at Pier 91. If you say you need a wheelchair, you are taken at your word!

Due to space limitations at the ADA check-in area, normally only people who are in the same stateroom as the person in the wheelchair can accompany the wheelchair. However, if there are only 3 of you in your group, you will very probably all go through check-in together. You will be brought from the parking lot up to ADA check-in area by one person. At that point you will be changed to a wheelchair from the ship (either before or after being checked in) which will take you onto your ship.

One other thing. Should you need or desire a wheelchair for use on the ship, your best bet would be to contact Special Needs At Sea at their website ( http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ ) or at 855-688-6858. They can arrange for one to be delivered to your mother's cabin on the ship. Should you decide you'd like one after your arrival at the pier, they usually have a tent out in front of the terminal building where you can rent one for the cruise. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Tom

Here is what will happen when you arrive at Pier 91 in Seattle. If you arrive by private vehicle or limo you will find any number of people directing traffic in that area, notify one of them that you need a wheelchair and they will contact a person who will get you a wheelchair. Depending on how many people are already getting wheelchair assistance, there may be a wait of a few minutes before one will arrive. Just have a seat on one of the nearby benches until a wheelchair arrives. If you arrive via a taxi or a shuttle from the airport, you will be in the vicinity of the wheelchair pushers. If you are on a motorcoach from the airport, a person will come aboard your coach to welcome you to the pier and give you some general information before you get off the coach. At the end of that briefing he/she should ask if anyone needs a wheelchair. If that doesn't occur, get the briefer's attention and let them know your need and they will take care of you. Since you said your mother has a problem with standing a long time, but no problem walking, I would definitely request the wheelchair as the check-in line can definitely involved standing and waiting! As to your question about "hidden" disabilities, you will not be questioned about that at Pier 91. If you say you need a wheelchair, you are taken at your word!

Due to space limitations at the ADA check-in area, normally only people who are in the same stateroom as the person in the wheelchair can accompany the wheelchair. However, if there are only 3 of you in your group, you will very probably all go through check-in together. You will be brought from the parking lot up to ADA check-in area by one person. At that point you will be changed to a wheelchair from the ship (either before or after being checked in) which will take you onto your ship.

One other thing. Should you need or desire a wheelchair for use on the ship, your best bet would be to contact Special Needs At Sea at their website ( http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ ) or at 855-688-6858. They can arrange for one to be delivered to your mother's cabin on the ship. Should you decide you'd like one after your arrival at the pier, they usually have a tent out in front of the terminal building where you can rent one for the cruise. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Tom

..So will she HAVE to sit in a wheelchair? That's my question, she doesn't need a wheelchair she can walk it's standing still for a long time. I'm wondering if Princess will insist she uses a wheelchair which is a deal breaker for her...

No, nobody is going to force her to sit in a wheelchair. Of course not. But, standing for a long time is going to be a fact of life. Depending on what time she arrives at the pier, there may very well be a line involving waiting downstairs before going upstairs to security, upstairs to go through security and then, longest of all, at the check in area. The use of the wheelchair, besides probably being a lot more comfortable for her, will allow her to bypass all of those lines. That is why I suggested using the wheelchair that will be available for her use. But in the end, the use or non-use of the chair will be up to her!

Tom

These are good to know , I have a hard time standing to long. I would need to sit right away or lay down, I would probably need to get a wheel chair as standing to long or even the walk to get on would be to much for me.

OP, thank you for asking this question

My mom is in a similar situation though hers is also exacerbated by walking long distances. We are planning an Alaska cruise-tour for 2018. She is planning on taking her rollator (or her fancy walker as we call it). The rollator has a seat she can use if she needs to.

I'm not sure, but if standing is your mom's only issue, would a collapsible chair like you sometimes see at golfing competitions work? Is that allowed onboard? I don't know the rules, but it might be worth it if you anticipate many long lines in her future and she is unwilling to use wheelchair assistance.

Thank you so much for this awesome information. Everyone has been overwhelmingly helpful with this! And after letting my mother read the responses it seems like she is okay with sitting in a wheelchair- she said she rather save her energy for fun on the ship!

Again thank you all so much, you have put an anxious mind at ease :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this awesome information. Everyone has been overwhelmingly helpful with this! And after letting my mother read the responses it seems like she is okay with sitting in a wheelchair- she said she rather save her energy for fun on the ship!

That's good. I think it is the best way for your Mum to board. My mum-in-law loved it! She had her 'personal assistant' wheel her all the way to her cabin. She joked that he was her toy-boy. :)

• Haha 1

I have a spinal condition that makes standing a real problem, let them know, they'll either give her a wheelchair, which it sounds she doesn't want, or perhaps fast track her. The other thing we do, is I sit while Mrs Gut lines up, I join her, normally at a stand with seating, when she gets to the front of the line.

That is good to know!

Great news sounds like the best thing for her to do.