TransAtlantic options

cruiseguy262

Hi all,

I am looking at planning my first TA. I am tentatively planning for 2019, or 2020. The itinerary I was looking at specifically was the 15 Night Mediterranean on Celebrity Silhouette out of Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. I have concerns for as far as airfare goes. I have seen posts where a lot of people recommended using Rome cabs for transportation from the airport in Rome. Also how cold is it in Nov? Any tips/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! thanks !

Hi all,

I am looking at planning my first TA. I am tentatively planning for 2019, or 2020. The itinerary I was looking at specifically was the 15 Night Mediterranean on Celebrity Silhouette out of Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. I have concerns for as far as airfare goes. I have seen posts where a lot of people recommended using Rome cabs for transportation from the airport in Rome. Also how cold is it in Nov? Any tips/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! thanks !

We have done two TA cruises, but none out of Rome.

November in Italy is a bit cool, but still pretty nice. Plan to layer for cooler times of the day.

As far as airfare is concerned, perhaps you should avoid Alitalia since it is having financial problems. Airfare may be lower in November since it is not high season.

Your transit to the US should be nice, since it is a southernly cruise.

Ditto the above.

As far as airfare definitely check with Celebrity's Choice Air. They can get some pretty competitive rates. What makes the TA airfare expensive is that you are flying to one airport and returning to another, but there are good fares out there. We flew from JFK and found the cheapest was Aer Lingus through Dublin - no kidding.

I've done 3 med - Florida TAs and would highly recommend them,

first one was on the silhouette Rome-Florida on Dec 1st and the weather was great, as an English guy I was able to wear t/shirt & shorts most days around the med and we were at/in the pool every day [emoji106]

Second one was Equinox Barcelona-Florida late October and the weather was better then the first [emoji106]

Third was reflection Rome-Florida mid/late October and again weather was great pretty much the whole trip,

I'd say we had maybe a couple of cloudy/rainy days each cruise and maybe one 1 of them lasted the whole day [emoji848] other then that we had good weather [emoji41]

As mentioned I'm English so if you're from Florida then you may find it cooler then I did but I'd say you'd still find some decent pool days throughout the trip,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto the above.

As far as airfare definitely check with Celebrity's Choice Air. They can get some pretty competitive rates. What makes the TA airfare expensive is that you are flying to one airport and returning to another, but there are good fares out there. We flew from JFK and found the cheapest was Aer Lingus through Dublin - no kidding.

Thanks for mentoning about the Air travel. This was an additional question I had that you reminded me of. I did some preliminary checking, and JFK is cheaper for me, I am in Louisiana, how do I book travel like this? say from Louisiana then JFK, and will I have to recheck luggage in JFK ? Thanks in advance !

Thanks for mentoning about the Air travel. This was an additional question I had that you reminded me of. I did some preliminary checking, and JFK is cheaper for me, I am in Louisiana, how do I book travel like this? say from Louisiana then JFK, and will I have to recheck luggage in JFK ? Thanks in advance !

If you choose choice air, you can book directly from your home airport to Rome, no need to recheck luggage.

As a hint, though, I would be investigating ports and such at this point instead of airfare, even though the itinerary you are interested in may not even be offered 2 or 3 years from now. You are like 20 months before you can even book airfare for a 2019 cruise and 32 months from booking for a 2020 cruise. Way too many things can change in that amount of time.

We're doing a TA this November on Azamara. They use choice air as well as RCL. I got business class tix on Choice Air for around 3 grand for the 2 of us to Rome from Tampa. So we fly from Tampa to Atlanta and then to Rome. All through Choice air. We plan to stay in Rome for a few days and did our own Hotel Booking. Reasonably you can try 6 months before your trip to get good prices through Choice Air or some other vendors. Keep in mind I would NOT recommend you fly in the day your board the ship. It's just too much tension, for me, to fly and be in airports for 12 + hours, jet lagged and then have to get from the airport to the ship. You land in Rome but have to get to Civitavecchia. Take a cab for about $150 or try to figure out the Rome Public Transportation from the Airport to Termini and then to the Port of Civitavecchia. I think Celebrity has some pre-cruise packages for this sort of thing. I mean you'll be in Rome why not spend a few days there enjoying the eternal City.

In the mean time ensure your passport doesn't expire.

YES,for sure.Make sure there's a least 6 months left on your passport after your cruise ends.Trust me we learn,t the hard way!!

It was a stressful situation for us to say the least!:eek:

YES,for sure.Make sure there's a least 6 months left on your passport after your cruise ends.Trust me we learn,t the hard way!!

It was a stressful situation for us to say the least!:eek:

Wow that sounds very stressful Sorry to hear about that ! Yes I have several years on my passport but thanks for the reminder !

I love Transatlantics and though the weather can be variable, it is usually good and especially so on the autumn TAs and those that take a more southerly route. I just got back last week from a TA Miami to Southampton with a stop in Bermuda on the way, so we had a much more northerly route than a Rome to Miami TA would have, and we had quite a bit of rainy/chilly weather--much as I love being able to add on time in London after the cruise, I think I'll avoid the northerly route TAs in future.

Definitely check out choiceair.com--they have great rates on one-way or open-jaw tickets like you need for a TA. Check prices for one of the fall 2017 TAs on there vs. your usual place to check ticket prices and you will be amazed. And I've always received frequent flyer miles for flights purchased through Choice Air as well.

You should definitely do a TA!

Another frequently overlooked air option is open jaw or multi city arrangements rather than one way tickets that cost more. Different airlines call them different things but it makes it a round trip pricing.

One leg is from your local airport to Rome, the other leg is from disembarking point to home.

For example one of our TransAtlantics was from FLL to Barcelona. our round trip tickets were from Baltimore to FLL , returning Barcelona to BWI. This cost us significantly less than if we booked through Choice air, and less than half if we booked as two one-way tickets.

Hi Cruiseguy, welcome to Cruise Critic. We are from BR, as you can see.

We've taken two westbound TAs and loved them both. First was from Southhampton to FL, second was Barcelona to FL. Weather was chilly on the first one while we were in France, but it got warmer as soon as we headed to the US.

Second one from Barcelona I think I wore I light jacket a couple days in Spain.

Both were among our best cruises. We flew out of New Orleans (just an hour from our house to the airport down I-10) each time. First time we flew NO to ATL and then straight to London. Second time NO to Philadelphia and straight to Barcelona.

I much preferred the last one because the last leg over the ocean was shorter since we basically started on the east coast. We used a discount site to purchase tickets once and Choice Air the second time and I chose my flights. We got pretty good rates with them. You just have to look around and price different things, do a little homework.

We flew in several days ahead of time. That's good for getting used to the time change and to see the city. We could have spent two weeks in Barcelona! We definitely have to go back, 3 days isn't long enough.

We found over the years that there are few simple things you can do to make your transit over the pond easier. We start to acclimate to Europe time a few days ahead. Not always easy depending on schedules, but it can help. Once at the gate in the airport I take a small Ambien. By the time the plane takes off, it's presumably already 1 or 2 a.m. in the destination city, so I forego any meals or movies or chit chat and just get in go-to-sleep mode. The Ambien kicks in, I get at least 5 hours sleep, and on arrival I'm good to go. Of course YMMV.

We're going to do a 15 day on Azamara summer of 2018, that starts in Scotland. We plan to go a week ahead for golfing and watching the British Open. It's too soon for airfare but we're starting with Choice Air. This time we'll be flying both directions. It's the biggest hassle part of traveling overseas to us - finding the best airfare. We aren't one of those "we've got lots of points" people.

I reread your question and you asked about rechecking luggage. Of course you don't have to. Once you give them your checked bag(s) in your home city, you'll hopefully see them at your final destination. Another reason for going at least a day ahead of time.

Have fun researching this. Start with the cities/ports, because you have plenty of time to do your flights. Hint: your best excursion days will be through independent tours you arrange on your own or with people from your Roll Call (see above link) where you can have ongoing conversations with people going on your exact same cruise. Unless you just love big buses and 50 of your best friends crammed in, go for the smaller tours where you generally get more tour for less $$. The cruise line will say to book through them because if the tour is late they'll wait. That's true, but the independent tours (start with Roll Call and Trip Advisor) know this too, it's what they do every day, and they wouldn't be in business if they made people miss the ship.

Edited by ClaudiaB

Definitely price check those one-way Transatlantic fares with Choice Air. We flew home from the Silhouette Transatlantic two days ago in Business Class for $850 (KLM nonstop Amsterdam to San Francisco). I price shopped on Choice Air for about a month before pulling the trigger. When I initially checked the rate was $1500. A few weeks later it was $1000. Then a week or so after that it was $850 and I bought at that price point.

Don't take a TA, we hit 50 ft waves on the Mediterranean as we went though a hurricane going from Toulon to Barcelona

You will have nothing to do on sea days but eat !

You gain 6 extra hour , so you end up waking up at 4 am

They use to be great value but not anymore

please everyone cancel your TA cruise

Don't take a TA, we hit 50 ft waves on the Mediterranean as we went though a hurricane going from Toulon to Barcelona

LOL! Love it!!!

We did a TA from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale in late November/early December a few years ago. Here's my tip for air fare: Check the fares online with the various airlines. Note that there's a tab for multi cities where you enter the cities and dates. When you find flights that work for you (and after you quit reeling from the cost), call Choice Air and tell the representative which flights you want. We saved $2200 by booking with Choice Air and still got the exact flights that we would have gotten by just going through the airline.

As far as the weather goes for that time of year, you will want to layer with a light jacket.

With respect to Rome, on a different cruise, we used Rome in Limo and had excellent service. They even arranged a private guide for the Vatican for the four of us. No waiting in line for anything and our guide was top notch. She was native Italian with a MFA from McGill University. Both our driver and our guide were very personable and quite delightful.

We have done two TA cruises, but none out of Rome.

November in Italy is a bit cool, but still pretty nice. Plan to layer for cooler times of the day.

As far as airfare is concerned, perhaps you should avoid Alitalia since it is having financial problems. Airfare may be lower in November since it is not high season.

Your transit to the US should be nice, since it is a southernly cruise.

We booked a TA for October of this year from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. The oneway airfare with Choice Air was $178 per person out of JFK on Delta. Then we booked extra legroom seats on the Delta website for another $109 each.

We did the Rome to Ft.Lauderdale on Silhouette this past November and loved it! I have a very lengthy review that's full of info and pics if that helps at all. I will tell you that when I first started looking at airfares they were over $2200 each (in coach!)...found out about Choice Air, and booked for less than $900 for BOTH of us. That was from NC to Rome. Of course that was coach. And that was for the exact same itinerary I had found on other sites for over $2000 each. Be a good shopper and you can get great deals.

There are all kinds of ways to cut costs. You have to pick what's most important to you. Private ride to the Port in Rome? Or share with others? Private tours? Or group tours? Or no tours and walk around on your own.

As for weather, it varied for us, but only slightly. We never needed heavy coats. And some days were quite warm and sunny. I found the ship itself to be a bit on the cool side, so layers are your friend!

If you book fall of 18 or 19, you can't make any air reservations yet anyway. When you get about 270 days before departure, choice air will post the flights. For one way tickets to Europe they really can't be beat...but there are some airlines that you almost have to check personally...Aer LIngus, Air Berlin, Wow Air. Expect fares to rome in the $5-600 pp range. Assuming you are in the US, if the airfares don't work out, you can cancel the cruise without penalties.....assuming your TA doesn't charge a penalty themselves.

You can check the current rates for Rome Cabs or others..those probably won't change much....or you can check Celebrity's transfer price which is generally equal to booking a car if you are two or more.

Yes, it will be cool for a few days...you won't be swimming outdoors, but of course there is the indoor pool. Don't worry about the weather...you'll have plenty of time to sit in the sun.

You'll have a great time....

Yeah. agree that everyone should cancel. As to us, having done more then 2 dozen TAs we hope to live long enough to do at least another 2 dozen. As to sea days, we loved our transpacifics even more....because we had more sea days (10 out of the first 12 days on one cruise). If most folks take your advice the demand and cost will drop...which is good for us :).

Hank

Also use google flights , use their flight checker, it will send you an email if the price goes up or down

We book Toronto to Barcelona for $293 CAD( about $50 USD :')) directly with TAP, Choice Air prices were about $500 CAD ,

This week got an email about a drop on a flight Tampa to Toronto for $203 CAD , the price has been of $350 CAD

Hi all,

We did this cruise on Silhouette in 2012 and highly recommend it. We also did the TA last year on Koningsdam (better itinerary). Weather was great and we used Rome Cabs to get to the port. You should look at itinerary because some of the Celebrity TA's have few ports.

We flew on Airitalia last year with no issues. We used FFmiles on one and cruise line air was on the other ticket.