HAL vs Princess. Price difference

Sandi07054

In July 2017, I am paying a base rate of about $1,700 per person for a 14-night cruise on HAL.

At the same time people are taking a 5-night cruise on Disney in the same basic category for in excess of $3,000 per person. (It is literally almost double for less than 1/2 the time on board.)

Bottom line - supply & demand. You were willing to book at $1,000 more that the competitor is charging, so why shouldn't they charge $1,000 more?

i have a cruise booked for Alaska inside passage June 2018 on Princess. Now I see HAL is almost 1,000 cheaper!! Why such a difference in price?

The two cruise lines are not the same. Why would their prices be the same?

Assuming you are comparing the same route, and the same cabin level?

Too many missing pieces to solve this puzzle.

In July 2017, I am paying a base rate of about $1,700 per person for a 14-night cruise on HAL.

At the same time people are taking a 5-night cruise on Disney in the same basic category for in excess of $3,000 per person. (It is literally almost double for less than 1/2 the time on board.)

Bottom line - supply & demand. You were willing to book at $1,000 more that the competitor is charging, so why shouldn't they charge $1,000 more?

I disagree, it's not just supply and demand. There are vast differences in the quality of the product, both from cruiseline to cruiseline and ship to ship. To expand the example you site, a 7 night cruise on Crystal in July will cost twice the amount you quoted for Disney--not because of supply and demand, but the quality of the product. If you're not fussy about service, food quality, ambiance, etc., by all means find the lowest fare available; however, if those things are important to you (and I understand that for a lot of people they are not), expect to pay more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

i have a cruise booked for Alaska inside passage June 2018 on Princess. Now I see HAL is almost 1,000 cheaper!! Why such a difference in price?
Things to double check...

• are you cruising the SAME WEEK. July is the best time to go if you seek out dry warm weather. Thus commands a premium price compared to May and September.
  • are you the same cabin category?
  • are you going to the same ports? Are they both Glacier Bay? Vancouver?

I disagree, it's not just supply and demand. There are vast differences in the quality of the product, both from cruiseline to cruiseline and ship to ship. To expand the example you site, a 7 night cruise on Crystal in July will cost twice the amount you quoted for Disney--not because of supply and demand, but the quality of the product. If you're not fussy about service, food quality, ambiance, etc., by all means find the lowest fare available; however, if those things are important to you (and I understand that for a lot of people they are not), expect to pay more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

It is a rookie mistake to only compare cabin prices. Partial or total inclusion of necessary or desirable amenities are often quite the bottom line cost equalizer.

For example, compare similar distant itineraries of mass market Celebrity and premium Oceania. Once you figure in the average daily cost of Celebrity add-ons (e.g., airfare/air credit, internet, beverages, specialty restaurants, and amenity choices such as excursions or booze), the comparative pricing is not that far apart. Then add in Oceania's far superior quality (ranging from food to bedding to crew ratio) and there's no wonder that so many Celebrity passengers eventually move up to Oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are correct. I didn't look closely enough. My cruise is June 9, 2018 - $2199 for balcony - seattle including Glacier Bay National park - theirs is $1999 - same date - Seattle including Glacier Bay national Park.

Not that much of a difference.

Thank you - I do feel better now!!

Do you think it will ever go down???

You are correct. I didn't look closely enough. My cruise is June 9, 2018 - $2199 for balcony - seattle including Glacier Bay National park - theirs is $1999 - same date - Seattle including Glacier Bay national Park.

Not that much of a difference.

Thank you - I do feel better now!!

Do you think it will ever go down???

If you're talking about Oceania, that's highly doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually Crystal isn't double the cost of Disney for Alaska - in many cases, it is priced below Disney. Disney is priced really high. We are paying less for a Veranda room on Crystal in August than the Disney Veranda cruise for the same week was priced at when we booked last fall. Presumably Disney knows what they are doing as that cruise is now sold out of Inside and Oceanview and the remaining veranda rooms are now about $1000 pp more than we are paying (and significantly more than the current Crystal price which has gone up slightly from what we booked at).

Not that Disney was ever in the running for us anyway, because we wanted a one way and the Disney cruise is round trip Vancouver, but I had priced out all the 7/8 day cruises just to see what they were running.

Regent Seven Seas and Seabourn are much more expensive - getting to around twice the cost.

The two cruise lines are not the same. Why would their prices be the same?

Assuming you are comparing the same route, and the same cabin level?

Too many missing pieces to solve this puzzle.

They are actually closer than one thinks. Holland America, Princess and Seabourn all report to the CEO of the Holland America Group.

They are actually closer than one thinks. Holland America, Princess and Seabourn all report to the CEO of the Holland America Group.

That doesn't make the lines the same. Certainly Seabourn is no where near Princess or HAL. Just because they have the same umbrella organization, doesn't make them the same.

That doesn't make the lines the same. Certainly Seabourn is no where near Princess or HAL. Just because they have the same umbrella organization, doesn't make them the same.

While I agree Seabourn is not similar to HAL or Princess, Princess and HAL are pretty similar.

My point was even under the same Carnival umbrella, they fall under the same group under that umbrella (Holland America group). I know people who work (corporate) for them and it is amazing how close they really are. Especially in Alaska!

We used NCL and our cruise on the Sun was the best price of all the cruise lines and with three in a cabin, the third person was free. The cruise was great. Loved Glacier Bay.

You got a deal with the 3rd person free!

Cruise prices are a lot like airline prices: a lottery. I always book relatively last minute (between 2-8 weeks) and find I get the best prices that way. It's harder to book last minute if you have a big group or an inflexible work schedule or other considerations, but I find it works best for me. However, even if you book last minute, comparable cruises can be hundreds of dollars different, even within the same line. It's a lottery. Best to book it and then not look at prices again. You'll almost always find something cheaper later. Instead, focus on the great trip you're going to have. :) Alaska is awesome.

My husband and I live near Los Angeles. Last May, we needed to get away so hopped on the Ruby Princess that sailed northbound out of Long Beach for her 4 night cruise that ended in Vancouver. We thought 4 nights wasn't long enough for our getaway so I looked to see if there were any ships departing Vancouver the same day for a round trip Vancouver cruise. I only booked these 2 cruises one week before the Ruby Princess cruise left Long Beach. Well, the Nieux Amsterdam was leaving Vancouver the same day the Ruby Princess docked in Vancouver. It was so fun getting off one ship and onto another and try out the differences between the two.

For food - hands down the Nieux Amsterdam beat out the Ruby Princess. The food on the Nieux Amsterdam was fresher and better quality. I would not take one of HAL's real old ships but this one was very classy and beautiful besides the good food.

My husband and I live near Los Angeles. Last May, we needed to get away so hopped on the Ruby Princess that sailed northbound out of Long Beach for her 4 night cruise that ended in Vancouver. We thought 4 nights wasn't long enough for our getaway so I looked to see if there were any ships departing Vancouver the same day for a round trip Vancouver cruise. I only booked these 2 cruises one week before the Ruby Princess cruise left Long Beach. Well, the Nieux Amsterdam was leaving Vancouver the same day the Ruby Princess docked in Vancouver. It was so fun getting off one ship and onto another and try out the differences between the two.

For food - hands down the Nieux Amsterdam beat out the Ruby Princess. The food on the Nieux Amsterdam was fresher and better quality. I would not take one of HAL's real old ships but this one was very classy and beautiful besides the good food.

Thanks for the information on HAL's NA. In July, we will be taking Star Princess B2B in Alaska, embarking Star and boarding NA the same day. Have been to Alaska with Princess before but never with HAL. Looking forward to both experiences.

I've been on four HAL cruises and sometimes the food is amazing and sometimes it's pretty good. I think it depends on the ship and a lot of other factors. In Alaska, both HAL and Princess are great. Last time I went, HAL was still doing pea soup on deck on glacier days. :) They also tend to let you out on the bow more. For us,Princess had the best naturalist commentary and animal-sighting tips, but that will also depend on the crew. I'd do either again in a heartbeat.