Can they do this?

I have been checking prices on Enchantment of the Seas for a 3 day cruise in the fall with some friends. This is an annual trip that we take and we have always gotten a pretty good deal and always had a blast! So far the prices have been higher than we have paid in the past so we have not put down a deposit yet.

However, on Wednesday when I checked the inside cabins were significantly priced lower. We usually get balconies, but thought the difference in price was worth foregoing the balcony experience for a short cruise. I put 6 cabins on hold and sent all of my friends the booking confirmations. Deposits are due on Saturday.

BUT...today I got a call from RCCL and they said the pricing was a mistake and we could either cancel or get current pricing with a $100 on board credit. I have confirmations, showing the price we booked...can they do this? (Of course, I know they can, because they just did!) But I am really frustrated since I was so excited to finally find a good fare and now it is taken away. Unfortunately, I have to be the bearer of bad news to my friends!

Did you put the cruises on hold using Royal's website? If so, I'd try to put the deposit down now (assuming you are outside of final payment period) and see if you get your original price.

I would try what Bob suggested but yes they can do that. I recall awhile ago there was some kind of pricing glitch on their website and they called and cancelled everyone's bookings.

I think I saw that glitch as well. I was looking at a 5 day cruise on the BR out of Tampa and it was showing OV cabins at $200 pp. When I followed thru on the bookings the correct much higher price showed.

I was checking prices on 3-5 night cruises out of four Florida ports in February and April 2018 on Wednesday morning. The first of four pages of cruises started with four nights on the Empress for $117. I checked out the next three pages, then went back to page 1 and saw that the $117 prices had changed to $398. I agree that there were website issues at the time you booked the cabins. If I had seen great prices on the Enchantment instead of the Empress, I would be in your position right now. That must be incredibly disappointing for you.

I know that I am whining now but....if I owned a business and was selling apples for $1.00 but the sign showed $0.10, I feel that I would have to honor that price for the people that wanted to buy that apples at that price.

Having a similar problem with FOTS , have it on hold and now their telling me it was a pricing mistake and want $220.00 more for the cabin.

The cabin went from a D2 to and E2 suddenly.

I have my TA fighting it out with them.

Did you put the cruises on hold using Royal's website? If so, I'd try to put the deposit down now (assuming you are outside of final payment period) and see if you get your original price.

I won't take the deposit I've tried , all that comes up is error.

This just happened to me with an all inclusive. I paid in full through bookit.com and a few WEEKS later I was told the price was a mistake and they said I could either pay the higher rate or they would cancel my reservation !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know that I am whining now but....if I owned a business and was selling apples for $1.00 but the sign showed $0.10, I feel that I would have to honor that price for the people that wanted to buy that apples at that price.

I don't think you wold be in the apple business very long.

Mistakes happen, I know I'd hate to be crucified for every one I made. Tough to be disappointed but that's why they have disclaimers about errors.

I don't think you wold be in the apple business very long.

Mistakes happen, I know I'd hate to be crucified for every one I made. Tough to be disappointed but that's why they have disclaimers about errors.

Yes they would, because they would take extra care to make sure that mistake never happened again since the loss would come out of their own pocket. The difference here(and elsewhere) is that Royal Caribbean is a corporation owned by its shareholders who are not exactly decision makers. They pay a president or CEO to make them money. The only reason to care about the customer is only if it has an effect on profits.

If Royal Caribbean had an actual decision making owner, I would bet they would have worked out all their IT problems by now. Instead there is probably some number cruncher reporting to the shareholders and president how it is cheaper to continue with the current IT problems than to fix it appropriately. Or possibly someone sugar coating the IT problem to the powers that be making it seem insignificant.

They pay a president or CEO to make them money. The only reason to care about the customer is only if it has an effect on profits.

If Royal Caribbean had an actual decision making owner, I would bet they would have worked out all their IT problems by now.

Two points here you might want to think about:

#1 I would expect the President and CEO to make the Company money. That should be their #1 goal.

#2 If RCL thought an investment into improving their I.T. would make them more money they would have made the investment. Given they haven't made the investment I suspect they don't believe spending on I.T. would provide the return on investment the Shareholders ( I'm one) demand.

Two points here you might want to think about:

#1 I would expect the President and CEO to make the Company money. That should be their #1 goal.

#2 If RCL thought an investment into improving their I.T. would make them more money they would have made the investment. Given they haven't made the investment I suspect they don't believe spending on I.T. would provide the return on investment the Shareholders ( I'm one) demand.

This doesn't make any sense. They already have an IT dept. They don't need a major investment. Just hire some competent people.

At my supermarket, if an item during check out is in error, I get it for free up to $20. This is based on their policy that their marked/advertised pricing is correct. Many times, I see clerks going from aisle to aisle with hand held machines to confirm the price vs what is shown.

At my supermarket, if an item during check out is in error, I get it for free up to $20. This is based on their policy that their marked/advertised pricing is correct. Many times, I see clerks going from aisle to aisle with hand held machines to confirm the price vs what is shown.

Nice policy, I wish they would do that at ours.

They don't need a major investment. Just hire some competent people.

Read that again - hiring competent people is an investment.

Biker, who is worried about recent examples of pricing glitches not being honored.

That's interesting. Years ago there was a glitch with Nationals tickets where they were being offered for $1.20 rather than $12.00, and they ended up honoring the cheaper price for those who purchased.

Its a tough situation. Unless the low price was insanely low and obviously an error (ie, $.99 per night rather than $99), I'd think they should honor the "deal" you got. Otherwise I'd be concerned that they could just claim "glitch" anytime they felt like raising the fares for those already booked.