All Inclusive Beverage Package: Read the fine print

lljost

Just a word of warning to anyone purchasing the AIBP. Depending on the length of your cruise, you may want to consider prepaying instead of waiting to purchase on board. Please see the following from the Princess website:

^$57.45 is pre-cruise purchase price; on board purchase price is $59.80 per person per day. Prices subject to change and quoted in U.S. dollars. Limited to individual beverages up to $10 each. Package does not include souvenir items, mini-bar items, in-room service or vending machine items. Terms and conditions may apply. Package is NOT available for purchase within 3 days of sailing. Package is NOT available for voyages 2 nights or fewer.

We have always waited until we board to purchase the AIBP but we just returned home from the Island Princess and after looking at our bill we noticed a higher charge per day than previously stated. Before I called Princess to inquire about the price difference, I suggested to my husband that he check Princess website again, and once you read the fine print, it clearly states there is a higher charge if purchased on board. For a short cruise, this isn't a huge difference so most people wouldn't even notice. But for a longer cruise, it can add up. We cruised on the Ruby Princess in January and they didn't charge us the higher price so this started sometime after the first of the year. For two people on a 6 day cruise the price difference would be $28.20 but for a 14 day cruise the price difference would be $65.80. Also, we like to use our OBC toward paying for the package. Definitely disappointed with Princess.:(

Thanks for pointing this out. I believe this is a fairly new change (along with removing the restriction on Medallion voyages), and it will definitely not please people who like to purchase the AIBP with OBC.

This information is in the description of the AIBP on the Princess website under Beverage Packages & Culinary Delights.

I don't find it surprising at all that the onboard price is higher than the pre-cruise purchase price. Princess wants the cash, and the sooner they can get it, the better. No big surprise there, and, certainly, nothing sinister about it. If they can get cash up front, they are willing to drop the price a bit. I guess the flip side of it is that once you are onboard they've captured you. So, if you want the package, you're stuck with paying more for it.

The inability to apply OBC just makes it a decision for the individual cruiser.

I've heard that purchasing excursions before embarkation is also less expensive than purchasing on board. Am I correct on that, or am I hallucinating?

Princess wants the cash, and the sooner they can get it, the better. No big surprise there, and, certainly, nothing sinister about it. If they can get cash up front, they are willing to drop the price a bit.

Except it doesn't appear to me that they did drop the price a bit. They kept the price the same for pre-purchase and RAISED it for on-board purchases, didn't they?

If you want to use your OBC it costs more than to pre pay.....Not a big deal since most OBC is given by Princess anyways or your TA. If you planned on actually buying OBC to use for your cruise, just buy the all inclusive up front instead.

Except it doesn't appear to me that they did drop the price a bit. They kept the price the same for pre-purchase and RAISED it for on-board purchases, didn't they?

Not the first time it has been raised. It used to be $56.35 then went to $57.45 (still the pre-paid price), and is now $59.80 if purchased onboard.

That's $3.45 per person per day more than original pricing which is actually quite an increase in the short time the package has been available. Still, I have no doubt Princess will be able to sell the package.

Does that surprise you?

It depends...the price MAY go up. If it's selling well and they're running out of spaces, the price goes up.

Interesting. Speakeing as both a stockholder and a customer, I guess that's reasonable.

Not the first time it has been raised. It used to be $56.35 then went to $57.45 (still the pre-paid price), and is now $59.80 if purchased onboard.

That's $3.45 per person per day more than original pricing which is actually quite an increase in the short time the package has been available. Still, I have no doubt Princess will be able to sell the package.

No doubt. :D

"$57.45 is pre-cruise purchase price; on board purchase price is $59.80 per person per day."

thanks so much for pointing this out. It doesn't mention this price difference in my personalizer. We also purchase on AIBP as soon as we get on board, mainly thinking it helps some crew member with reaching their sales goal for turnaround day.

And I can confirm that all beverage packages are available for the ocean medallion cruises. We are on Royal Princess in March 2018 and now all beverage packages are available for pre-purchase.

I read about the package online and read this information. I am not sure why it is a surprise. I also thought that if you buy on ship you could also be charged the 15% per drink. I would have to go back, as that might have been a different company. I have read so many in the last week.

I read about the package online and read this information. I am not sure why it is a surprise. I also thought that if you buy on ship you could also be charged the 15% per drink. I would have to go back, as that might have been a different company. I have read so many in the last week.

Not correct under the Princess AIBP.

i always thought it was the exchange rate

$59 us is about $76 aus.

It is essentially. The software is picking up the AUD price, $59, but then it's "converting" it using the USD - AUD exchange applicable on that booking. Of course, it shouldn't be converting it at all since the price is already in AUD. Nice little bug! :D

Actually I'm curious, do Princess automatically refund the difference or do you have to go to Guest Services to get the refund? We've always bought the package onboard.

Considering the exchange rate, on ships using AUD it's about 1/3 less than on ships where the currency is USD. Why?

Shhhhhh! We're trying to keep quiet about that in case Princess raises the price! :p

Maybe that's what Princess thinks the market will bear down here. We've been happy to buy it at that price but, given the poor quality of the wines by the glass included in the package, I wouldn't pay more for it. It's borderline for us, especially when the MDR service is slow.

We're seriously considering not getting the AIPB for the Med cruise we're doing later this year. I'm hoping Royal will have wine packages available.