British isles on Celebrity - experiences?

travellerin1984

Hi!

We booked a summer cruise from Amsterdam, 12 nights on Sillhouette in July. We made the decision very quickly and didn't really read about the ports. The cruise going to Dublin, Liverpool, Belfast, Guarnsey and Brugge. I appreciate any comments and opinions.

Would this be the 18 July 2017 sailing? There is a lively Roll Call see this link here

And although the itinerary is different (includes Scotland) there is also an incredible amount of info on the 11 August Roll Call. Well worth looking at website to get ideas for ports of call, transport weather etc.

Did the British Isles out of Amsterdam last year and loved it. Your cruise will miss a few of the ports we visited like

Scotland and Paris (Le Harve) as examples BUT you have two overnights in Dublin and Liverpool which will be great!

She's a fantastic ship too

You have chosen wisely!

1971op.jpg

316on4i.jpg

21drhcm.jpg

10mr4g3.jpg

oh4dwg.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Hi!

We booked a summer cruise from Amsterdam, 12 nights on Sillhouette in July. We made the decision very quickly and didn't really read about the ports. The cruise going to Dublin, Liverpool, Belfast, Guarnsey and Brugge. I appreciate any comments and opinions.

Sue & I did an 11 Night, London to Copenhagen on Infinity back in 2014... One of our favorite Cruises. Visited, Le Havre, Cork, Dublin, Liverpool, Belfast, Glasgow and Oslo...

Also had a Balcony on Deck 7...

You will have a great time.

Dennis & Sue

Dublin, Liverpool and Belfast are all fascinating cities. Liverpool has a beautifully redeveloped port area, with a branch of the Tate Museum and of course many attractions celebrating the Beatles. We went on a wonderful Beatles tour of the city several years ago. The modern cathedral there is beautiful.

Brugge (or the more widely used name, Bruges) is a gorgeous little flashback to the Middle Ages, with beautiful Belgian architecture, canal rides, windmills and more. It's pretty touristy because of the cruise ships (go to its nearby neighbor, Ghent, for a more real-life experience). But it's a perfect little city for a daylong stop.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've done UK routes twice and they rank among our favourites. Really like the fact that in most ports you are able to do things on your own. Take the time to do your research and I'm sure you'll love it.

I would choose the Princess itinerary and take a pass on Celebrity on this one since it includes Edinburgh, which could be the best port on any British Isles itinerary.

I'm booked on X British Isles and we over-night in Edinburgh.

I'm booked on X British Isles and we over-night in Edinburgh.

OP didn't list Edinburgh. An overnight in Edinburgh is even better. :cool: Easily the best port on that itinerary. The Royal Yacht Britannia is outstanding.

Our day was heading to Royal Yacht first to avoid lines. After that, we had lunch at The Doric (great and very old gastro pub) and then headed to Holyrood Castle. After that, we walked and shopped on the Royal Mile. I remember buying my dad a great bottle of scotch on that street. In any case, I would not do a British Isles itinerary that didn't include Edinburgh. I am pretty sure all of Princess' itineraries include it. Have fun on you cruise.

OP didn't list Edinburgh. An overnight in Edinburgh is even better. :cool: Easily the best port on that itinerary. The Royal Yacht Britannia is outstanding.

Our day was heading to Royal Yacht first to avoid lines. After that, we had lunch at The Doric (great and very old gastro pub) and then headed to Holyrood Castle. After that, we walked and shopped on the Royal Mile. I remember buying my dad a great bottle of scotch on that street. In any case, I would not do a British Isles itinerary that didn't include Edinburgh. I am pretty sure all of Princess' itineraries include it. Have fun on you cruise.

From one hockey fan to another....thanks for the tips!! I LOVE eating in local restaurants....Go Islanders.

From one hockey fan to another....thanks for the tips!! I LOVE eating in local restaurants....Go Islanders.

The Doric is great and fun. You could get lunch or dinner there. I wish we had two days in Edinburgh, but we did have one long day.

I really enjoyed British Isles. I'd put it after St Petersburg & Baltic as well as our Grand Med, but still a great itinerary. If you make it to Le Havre, getting to Normandy and D Day Beaches is a great take, and very moving. Enjoy.

I am happy to help with any information you need with regards to St Peter Port, Guernsey. As there are too many places to see and things to do all in one short visit, it would be helpful to know what you are interested in (history - castles etc, history - German Occupation during 2nd world war, cliff walking, guided walks etc etc).

There is some excellent information on the Britain Boards (Ports of Call). The main tourist board website is www.visitguernsey.com and perhaps this may provide some ideas.

Please feel free to post with any questions, and I will try to assist. :)

I am happy to help with any information you need with regards to St Peter Port, Guernsey. As there are too many places to see and things to do all in one short visit, it would be helpful to know what you are interested in (history - castles etc, history - German Occupation during 2nd world war, cliff walking, guided walks etc etc).

There is some excellent information on the Britain Boards (Ports of Call). The main tourist board website is www.visitguernsey.com and perhaps this may provide some ideas.

Can I jump in? What would recommend within comfortable walking distance from the cruise port? I'm interested in visiting the Victor Hugo house and heritage sweet shop which I understand is nearby. Not sure if it would be a short but steep walk? Have you a recommendation for a cream tea?

Thanks

Can I jump in? What would recommend within comfortable walking distance from the cruise port? I'm interested in visiting the Victor Hugo house and heritage sweet shop which I understand is nearby. Not sure if it would be a short but steep walk? Have you a recommendation for a cream tea?

Thanks

You will need reservations in advance for the Victor Hugo house. It is up a very steep street - not easily accessible if you have any mobility issues, and not well marked. We got a bit lost and had to ask several people along the way. Walking down is also difficult for knees. It is a great house to see however!

We are there on thursday july 20th.

We are renting a car and plan to drive around the island.

Anything you would suggest as places not to miss?

Thanks for any help.

If you do stop in Edinburgh, have a unique lunch at the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society (28 queen st)....a not to be missed experience for scotch drinkers.

Edited by ghstudio

Hi!

For Dublin, I would suggest that you look at http://www.visitdublin.com .

There are a huge amount of things to do & see in Dublin & surrounding areas. If you let me know what you are most interested in - Art, History, Pubs.. etc I can try to point you in the right direction.

There are a few hop on hop off bus options that might suit you if you are looking for a general overview of the city either.

Happy Sailing!

Aoife

The Doric is great and fun. You could get lunch or dinner there. I wish we had two days in Edinburgh, but we did have one long day.

I really enjoyed British Isles. I'd put it after St Petersburg & Baltic as well as our Grand Med, but still a great itinerary. If you make it to Le Havre, getting to Normandy and D Day Beaches is a great take, and very moving. Enjoy.

We've been to Le Havre and Normandy when we were in France for 3 weeks. It is very moving. I especially loved the Bayeaux tapestry.

We've been to Le Havre and Normandy when we were in France for 3 weeks. It is very moving. I especially loved the Bayeaux tapestry.

Very difficult (actually impossible) to see the D Day beaches and the German gun bunkers above, one of the cemeteries (there unfortunately are many), the bayeaux tapestry and Mont Ste Michelle in one day. It's a very difficult choice.....

Thanks

Yes, Victor Hugo's house and the sweet shop are close by, however it is a steep walk. As it is so close, you would not find any taxis to take you there. If you wish to stay within walking distance, I would recommend visiting Castle Cornet, and be there at midday, when the noon day gun is fired by a man in full regalia. There are daily guided walks from the tourist office at 10.30am every day, no need to book. The walks are approx. 90 minutes around a part of St Peter Port, by a fully accredited guide (cost GBP8.00). Cream tea in St Peter Port, I would recommend the Old Government House Hotel. If you have time to visit the Little Chapel (about 2 or 3 miles out of town), it is well worth wild. There is a round the island bus, whereby you could at least see part of the island outside of the town. The local bus company is also launching a new bus service which will take people direct to certain tourist attractions called the red route, however I can not find any details on this as yet. The bus company website is www.buses.gg.

I hope this helps.

We are there on thursday july 20th.

We are renting a car and plan to drive around the island.

Anything you would suggest as places not to miss?

Thanks for any help.

I would recommend the Little Chapel, and the German Occupation Museum. After visiting these places, I would drive around the coastal route, which is much easier (wider roads) and nice views. You can then also elect to stop at various sites (towers, German fortifications). The south coast has some wonderful cliff views, probably the easiest place to see this is to drive to the Hotel Jerbourg where there is a public car park. You can then walk for just a few minutes, and see some wonderful views. I would say, cliff views first, then the Occupation Museum, then back track slightly to the Little Chapel, then head back onto the main coastal road.

Just a bit of advice, if you have not driven in Guernsey previously, please request a SatNav from the hire car company, it is very easy to get lost as the road signs are not great. Also hire the smallest car you are happy with for the number of people you have, as the roads can be very slim if you are not used to this.

I hope you have a wonderful day in Guernsey. The Eclipse was docked in St Peter Port only last week during the President's cruise, unfortunately LLP did not come ashore. Please post again if you need any further information.