Aft facing suites

TOURMAN857

Anyone have experience using the Aft-Facing Corner Neptune Suites? We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam next March and this will be our first experience in a suite. It will be an 11-day Partial Canal Cruise. It seems like a good place to view the canal at least part of the time as we go through. Also, do the benefits provided for a Neptune Suite make it worthwhile? Not going to switch out, but just curious.

Edited by TOURMAN857
Spelling

There are dozens of discussions on aft facing suites here on this board. They are very popular..they sell quickly. The aft and side views, on large balconies make them very popular.

Only you can determine if the perks of a suite are worthwhile. There are several perks, each appeals to different people in different ways. In our case, the unlimited laundry is critical to DW, and our enjoyment on longer cruises. But that may not apply to you at all.

We did that same cruise last November. We were in aft wrap 5190. That is now my favorite room on the ship! The balcony is quite large and well covered. We had both bright sunny (hot) days and downpours and we stayed cool in the heat and dry during the rainy times. Nothing is better than ordering room service and eating on the large covered balcony. The room itself is a bit smaller than some of the upper deck mid-ship neptune suites but who cares when you have that great balcony.

It provided great views of the locks as they closed behind the ship.

Anyone have experience using the Aft-Facing Corner Neptune Suites? We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam next March and this will be our first experience in a suite. It will be an 11-day Partial Canal Cruise. It seems like a good place to view the canal at least part of the time as we go through. Also, do the benefits provided for a Neptune Suite make it worthwhile? Not going to switch out, but just curious.

The aft-wrap Neptunes are great for the partial Panama Canal route. Try to get the deck 5 ones (5190 and 5191), as they are completely covered AND have a HUGE veranda (can hold over 40 people). You will not regret getting these for the Canal.

We've had corner afts several times and we love them. Our favorite is deck 7, which is about half covered, but we had 5190 this past Feb, and it was as huge as everyone says. The value of the perks is a matter of opinion. The free laundry is very useful. I wouldn't send out delicates, but sending out socks, underwear, t-shirts, jeans cuts down on the amount of clothing you have to pack. The lounge is nice for snacks and a light lunch. The concierges can book tours, check your onboard statement, handle anything you would go to the front desk for.

In Panama, we got up early and watched the entry and first lock from the bow, then went back to our balcony for room service breakfast and watched the rest of the canal from that viewpoint.

Don't spend the entire time on your balcony. Get to an open deck for a different view and definitely try the Panama buns!

Deck five suites on these ships are the best cabins afloat. We've been in both 5090 on Westy and 5191 on Oosty. No one has mentioned one of the best perks, breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. Room service dinners on these balconies are wonderful.

We have been on the partial transits of the canal twice in aft Neptune Suites. They are the very best. We didn't need to leave our balcony during the entire transit process. I only left our balcony and visitors to pick up Panama Buns from the Lido Market for all.

Here is a link to the photographs from our aft balcony:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/panama-canal/panama-canal-westbound-gatun-locks/

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/panama-canal/panama-canal-eastbound/

We booked 5191 for your cruise a few years ago and have booked nothing but aft-wraps since! Watching the locks close 15 feet behind you and being able to see all the action from up close is phenomenal. Deck 5 corner suites on the Z'dam and other Vista Class ships have the largest verandas I've ever seen - think garage size! You get your exercise walking to the Neptune Lounge, but the pool is aft so it's all good. Book it. You won't be sorry.

Question about the aft suite. Is the wake noise loud while on open sea?

You can always hear it when you're outside. I thought it was louder on 5 than on 7. Not too loud, just a difference. I think that was a combination of closer to the water and the fact that it was covered to the edge, trapping the sound. To us, the sound is part of the experience!

On the Oosterdam friends were given 4180 when there was a problem with their SS Suite. Yes, a huge veranda, but it was uncovered and windy while in many ports so was unusable. The cabin was smaller than the other Neptunes. All in all they said their SS was better since it had two desks. Bathrooms were the same. Not sure if this is all true for the Z. ( They are 4* so most the perks weren't a big deal to them.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On the Oosterdam friends were given 4180 when there was a problem with their SS Suite. Yes, a huge veranda, but it was uncovered and windy while in many ports so was unusable. The cabin was smaller than the other Neptunes. All in all they said their SS was better since it had two desks. Bathrooms were the same. Not sure if this is all true for the Z. ( They are 4* so most the perks weren't a big deal to them.)

If it was windy while in port, that is a weather problem, not a problem with the balcony location. I bet it was windy on other balconies as well.

If it was windy while in port, that is a weather problem, not a problem with the balcony location. I bet it was windy on other balconies as well.

Yes, we had some very windy sea days when we were in 5190, and even with the full cover, it was too windy to be out there.

After all the hype on here about aft wraps, when we were offered one for the last 3 weeks of our 4-week cruise on the NA, we moved from a beautiful SS. Big mistake. It was more like a downgrade, the cabin itself was smaller and with less closets and desk space, nowhere near as nice as the SS - and most of the balcony was unusable much of the time due to being so windy. The part directly facing aft was OK, and that explained why all the balcony furniture was crowded into that section. We have taken upsells to Neptune on almost all of our cruises but I sure wouldn't take an aft wrap again. I love the midship SS cabins and will stick with those in future unless we are offered a midship Neptune.

I've had an aft wrap and an SS. The room, to me, was about the same. SS maybe a bit larger. But just no comparison on the balcony. I thought the aft was less windy, but that could have been just weather related. But the great thing about the corner is it is windy along the sides of the ship, sit in the back. If its drizzly or windy aft, sit under the fully covered side.