Internet during cruise, shore excursions? Do Internet package work ashore?

LoveAtomy

Hi all,

We are going on a East Med cruise this weekend and I was wondering how you all get connected Internet during shore excursions? Each port we visit, I would like to get connected for Google maps, email correspondence with guides, TA reviews for restaurants and such.

For those who use Internet ashore, how do you get connected?

Thank you.

Also talk to your cell phone provider. My son went to Europe last year and he paid Verizon about $20/day for unlimited everything - voice, text, data. It came to a lot for a 2-week visit but he got his money's worth out of it (like crowing about using Google Maps to get to the London Underground and then get to the stop he wanted).

For getting around, someone here recommended a free app called Maps ME. It supposedly uses GPS to pin your location on maps you download (through the app) and direct you to your goal. I haven't used it yet but I downloaded the maps not only for AK and Yukon but also the states we may fly over on the way to Seattle - don't know about anyone else but I always wonder just where I am on a plane and it will be fun to see if the app can tell me that while flying, without WiFi.

You can supposedly download Google Maps to use while not connected to the Internet but I've never been able to get that to work.

Personally, I'm just planning to use the ship wifi for anything I didn't download in advance. I don't want to spend valuable shore time staring at a computer screen ;)

We have been using maps.me for several years with good results. We download the locations we are visiting ahead of time when we have good, free internet. We have found the ship's wifi to be painfully slow and unless one has unlimited minutes, not a good option for downloading large files. Follow the crew ashore, when you see a bunch sitting around using their phone, you've found a free hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all,

We are going on a East Med cruise this weekend and I was wondering how you all get connected Internet during shore excursions? Each port we visit, I would like to get connected for Google maps, email correspondence with guides, TA reviews for restaurants and such.

For those who use Internet ashore, how do you get connected?

Thank you.

Your phone will look and operate like at home when you are on the ship and ashore.

If you have not purchased a plan from your carrier, using your phone on the ship and whole on shore will result in thousands of doallars in charges.

If you have not figured out how to use your phone internationally at this late date, then it is highly recommended that you turn it off and never turn it on while away from home. Any time you turn it on, you may get large charges since many apps use the internet in the background, Mail being an example.

Also talk to your cell phone provider. My son went to Europe last year and he paid Verizon about $20/day for unlimited everything - voice, text, data. It came to a lot for a 2-week visit but he got his money's worth out of it (like crowing about using Google Maps to get to the London Underground and then get to the stop he wanted).

For getting around, someone here recommended a free app called Maps ME. It supposedly uses GPS to pin your location on maps you download (through the app) and direct you to your goal. I haven't used it yet but I downloaded the maps not only for AK and Yukon but also the states we may fly over on the way to Seattle - don't know about anyone else but I always wonder just where I am on a plane and it will be fun to see if the app can tell me that while flying, without WiFi.

You can supposedly download Google Maps to use while not connected to the Internet but I've never been able to get that to work.

Personally, I'm just planning to use the ship wifi for anything I didn't download in advance. I don't want to spend valuable shore time staring at a computer screen ;)

The plan we have on our phones is $10 a day, 100 texts, 100 minutes, and it uses the same data plan you use at home. If you don't use it for a day, no charges.

Just to clarify the title question - the internet package from the SHIP does not work ashore - though you MIGHT get a signal on the pier. Once you leave the ship, your phone will pick up the local cell phone or wifi signals.

Each carrier has different plans available while "roaming". T-Mobile is the best if you have that.

As to just turning your phone off - not really needed. There is one simple setting that will solve the problem if you do not have a data plan. Turn Cellular Roaming off. Done.

The idea to download maps in advance does work well. That of course will not allow you to email, text or call anyone.