Let’s Make Anthem Great Again – Live Thread May 20, 2017

I’mmmmm back...Ricky Cruiser…Freddy Krueger…pick your poison!

So it has been just two and half years since the Quantum of the Seas was delivered to Royal Caribbean, introducing a new class of ship, which was said would provide passengers with an unsurpassed cruise experience. The class would be coined as the “smart ships,”bringing the newest technology to both hotel and marine operations. Fast forward to present day, with three Quantum-class ships in operation and two more (Quantum-plus for those itching to correct me) on order. However, all but the Anthem of the Seas seem to be destined for the Far East and we are not talking about Long Island.

So one might ask “why is that?” I have decided that the powers that be over at RCI have come to the conclusion – albeit so do I on most days of the week – that the American population may be too stupid to handle a sophisticated smart ship and have opted to serve a culture that truly embraces technology.

497062b589967dc7473f3146cf05a2af.jpg

All jokes aside,I find that the Anthem continues to be the U.S. based ship that many cruisers know the least about or, even worse, perceive in a negative manner due to a variety of reasons including the “Cruise from Hell” media sensationalism, the deep hatred towards Dynamic Dining (which if you didn’t get the memo, ended about six months ago), and my favorite – the massive generalization that the ship attracts a “rude” passenger base due to its geographical location.

Personally,after two previous sailings on the Anthem, I hold this class of ship as my favorite in the fleet. Notice that I said “ship.” We can go on and on about picking a cruise because of a certain port of call or choosing to sail with a crew member you have formed a close relationship with. Perhaps your favorite bartender that knows when you order a gin and tonic, to just pour a triple shot of Hendricks and give you a can of tonic toward off the perception that you are anything other than a raging, but highly functioning, alcoholic (speaking about a friend of course).

Barring factors like the aforementioned, I would argue that the Anthem of the Seas brings all the best that Royal has to offer and wraps it in one beautiful and not too overwhelming package. Therefore, I would very much like to see more Quantum-class offerings from U.S. ports in the coming years. So my mission over my five day sailing to Bermuda aboard the Anthem is simple…

8e69037925204f370750f4f20c945603.jpg

At least in the peanut sized minds of the American public. Again, just kidding!

Please note that Sarah Huckabee will be handling all questions from the Pineapple Heads during this sailing.

After 14 cruises the Awesome Anthem is our favorite ship! Next year will be our third time, we love everything about her!!!!

Marg

Sailing the Anthem in November. Will be my second time on this ship did a quick 3 day March 2015 and have been wanting to go back ever since. I really liked it. Curious are you sharing a cabin with friends or are you in your own cabin? I'm trying out one of the studio balconies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sailing the Anthem in November. Will be my second time on this ship did a quick 3 day March 2015 and have been wanting to go back ever since. I really liked it. Curious are you sharing a cabin with friends or are you in your own cabin? I'm trying out one of the studio balconies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm slightly less tan, but you get the idea.

cd8b78bb3892168e789f2f9c06f9f4c1.jpg

With all the discussion regarding Anthem's service, I'll chime in with my thoughts.

The crew on Anthem are NOT bad, but the crew morale on the ship was lower than other ships, especially Jewel and Allure. I feel that this is for many reasons:

1 - Some of the customers in the Tri- State Area are not the nicest folks (sorry!)

2 - The lower reviews may put a large amount of pressure on the crew by senior management.

3 - Poor management. If the Captain and Hotel Director do not have that relationship with their crew, then that influence spreads down the ranks to the crew and their interactions with the guests.

Rick - Enjoy your cruise!

With all the discussion regarding Anthem's service, I'll chime in with my thoughts.

The crew on Anthem are NOT bad, but the crew morale on the ship was lower than other ships, especially Jewel and Allure. I feel that this is for many reasons:

1 - Some of the customers in the Tri- State Area are not the nicest folks (sorry!)

2 - The lower reviews may put a large amount of pressure on the crew by senior management.

3 - Poor management. If the Captain and Hotel Director do not have that relationship with their crew, then that influence spreads down the ranks to the crew and their interactions with the guests.

Rick - Enjoy your cruise!

Joe,

Thank you. As I stated in my opening, I am really not a fan of reason number 1. There are plenty of ships amongst many lines that leave from the New York area on a weekly basis that don't seem to have the same black cloud. Are those ships only getting booked by passengers outside of the tri-state area? When Norwegian places the Escape in New York next year, are we quickly going to see their crown jewel fall from grace?

I am a NY transplant (born and raised in SoFL) so I have no skin in this game, but I have encountered the same level of rude and obnoxious guests on ships out of Florida that I have on my sailings out of the Northeast. For example, try enduring the crowd on the short booze cruises week-in and week-out. Those crew members should be the ones getting the sympathy cards.

We are all entitled to our opinion and I'm not saying you are wrong, it just doesn't add up for me.

Joe,

Thank you. As I stated in my opening, I am really not a fan of reason number 1. There are plenty of ships amongst many lines that leave from the New York area on a weekly basis that don't seem to have the same black cloud. Are those ships only getting booked by passengers outside of the tri-state area? When Norwegian places the Escape in New York next year, are we quickly going to see their crown jewel fall from grace?

I am a NY transplant (born and raised in SoFL) so I have no skin in this game, but I have encountered the same level of rude and obnoxious guests on ships out of Florida that I have on my sailings out of the Northeast. For example, try enduring the crowd on the short booze cruises week-in and week-out, those crew members should be the ones getting the sympathy cards.

We are all entitled to our opinion and I'm not saying you are wrong, it just doesn't add up for me.

I actually don't remember any bad guests on Explorer out of NJ, but in my personal experience, Anthem was a different story, and it did rub off on the crew.

I met NO guests that had the concept of saying "please", and one particular gentlemen asked for something at CafeTwo70 and then gave them a dirty look before walking away. I also guests being rude to the stateroom attendant and some folks in line at SeaPlex started arguing with us over something fairly petty which caused some unwanted confrontation.

I haven't experienced the same from my one time out of Florida, but will be watching more carefully on HM this summer. Certainly the crowd out of Barcelona were much more pleasant!

We can agree to disagree- Having sailed on the Quantum- I am "cured" from that class of ship. Service poor- no comparison to the Oasis class ships-nor the Freedom class ships. We had a grand suite on the Quantum, but other then the suite- not happy with the ships layout- the overpriced photography, mediocre food, etc.

Just went on the Harmony, what a difference! The ship and the service excellent- I think that anybody who has tried the Quantum class- should try the Oasis class, especially the Harmony- they will be very happy.

Things have changed a lot since your cruise on Quantum. We also sailed Quantum, and the Anthem 3 times, and it's interesting how things have evolved over the past 2-plus years on this class of ship. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again.

I don't think you can compare Anthem/Quantum to any other ship or class of ships afloat. It's different, but that doesn't make it worse. You recommend Oasis class, however we didn't like Allure as much as we like Anthem!

This was not even close to being true from my experience.

It was in my experience!

Not all of them, but certainly not as much happy faces as on other ships, and our cabin attendant moaned to us about never getting days off.

The Anthem has a very hard task here following the Explorer which was probably most loved ship in the fleet!

Hopefully you'll get the Anthem take First Place. Enjoy!

Anthem will never be as beloved as the Explorer! Became Diamond on Explorer and had to move on to other class size ships in the RC fleet. Now our Next favorite is the Serenade of the Seas, followed by the Navigator. Like the Jewel and took a family girls trip on Freedom. I have done a few trips on Anthem, and I gave it time between trips to see if service, food, employee cohesiveness improved, it didn't. Would have loved to love it, or even liked it a little more, because then I wouldn't have to fly, yes we tried the speciality restaurants (limited) compared to other ships, bumper cars, 360 viewing, Ifly not recommended by airborne forces son. The only great thing is the cabin layout, except miss the hanging line in shower to hang wet swimsuits to dry, But will be watching this review to see how it goes with children. Friends have traveled on Anthem a few times, with and without their children, *not so great* so they now fly to Florida to cruise Allure. Great ship if you have children and he said service and food was good as well.

Well I would like to park the debate. Much like all of you have had your experiences, no one sailing will be the same as the next. I am here to document my experiences - good, bad or indifferent. People can take what they want from it, but I'm certainly not here to tell you that the Anthem is a one size fits all. However, I welcome a healthy discussion and trying to understand the root of the issues.

Following, too bad it's only 5 days. I know this is going to be fun...

Our turn coming up soon...June 8th. This is by far our favorite class of ship across any line we've sailed so far.

Following along.....

That Navigator video is the best cruise vacation video I have ever seen. Hope there is one from this journey.

Maybe someday we will cross paths -- and I'll get a small cameo appearance, sorta like Michael Bayley did!!!

Enjoy...

mac_tlc

What do you mean "Make Anthem Great Again?" She's ALREADY great!

So true my friend ;) you took the words out of my mouth.

Personally,after two previous sailings on the Anthem, I hold this class of ship as my favorite in the fleet. Notice that I said “ship.” We can go on and on about picking a cruise because of a certain port of call or choosing to sail with a crew member you have formed a close relationship with.

Barring factors like the aforementioned, I would argue that the Anthem of the Seas brings all the best that Royal has to offer and wraps it in one beautiful and not too overwhelming package. Therefore, I would very much like to see more Quantum-class offerings from U.S. ports in the coming years. So my mission over my five day sailing to Bermuda aboard the Anthem is simple…

8e69037925204f370750f4f20c945603.jpg

At least in the peanut sized minds of the American public. Again, just kidding!

Please note that Sarah Huckabee will be handling all questions from the Pineapple Heads during this sailing.

We love Anthem, been on her umpteen time, just came off a B2B last week, she's our favorite too. Rick, I know you'll all have a great time.

Will OurTwoSuitcases be doing another great video?

Happy cruising, I'll be following along :)

The only negative floatel_lvr had on that sailing was the annoying guy sitting next to him periscoping the Captain's Corner. [emoji15]

It is generous people like yourself (and CruiseLifeRick and many others) that keep the rest of us satiated with "cruise life" during those in between times when we have to go to work to pay for the next sailing.

Looking forward to this! Always enjoy following your reviews and the periscope antics. Especially interested in this one since I'll be on Anthem for the first time in October!

Ha! It's been awhile since I was on a ship with decent Voom, so I will have to dust off my Periscope app.

4ea2bfe42e667b8a80fec932ce6f3b41.jpg

I am in Major Happy Cruise Addict Mode!!! Not only do I leave in 2 Days, to Cruise to Cuba, on RC's Empress of the Seas, with Family, and Fellow Cruise Addict Friends, I also have Your Awesome Live Review Rick, to Follow Along with!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Will OurTwoSuitcases be doing another great video?

Happy cruising, I'll be following along :)

I'm just along for the ride, but I would be surprised if O2S wasn't planning a video. If for no other reason than to document their kiddos' first cruise. They're pretty darn cute and entertaining little people.

4ea2bfe42e667b8a80fec932ce6f3b41.jpg

I am in Major Happy Cruise Addict Mode!!! Not only do I leave in 2 Days, to Cruise to Cuba, on RC's Empress of the Seas, with Family, and Fellow Cruise Addict Friends, I also have Your Awesome Live Review Rick, to Follow Along with!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Haha! Enjoy Empress and Cuba. Cannot wait to hear about it.