Gluten free options koningsdam?

Janlc21

We took a 15 year old grand daughter to Alaska on Volendam several years ago. She was deathly allergic to peanuts and peanut oils; allergic or sensitive to red meat and fish, (only poultry was ok), all forms of eggs, dairy, legumes, wheat and soy. We became well acquainted with the Lido chef who told us he was on duty whenever the Lido was open and to always ask for him if we had questions. Upon embarkation we were introduced to him - he had received our pre-cruise paperwork. He guided us through our choices - chicken/turkey,potatoes, rice, fruits, some vegetables. He pointed out potential issues.

We had Open Dining in the MDR, ate all our dinners there. They always knew about pre-selected menu items (from our room number) and it worked fine.

She had turkey burgers at the pool grill (now they have chicken) cooked in a clean pan each time. We took a few specialty foods for her and carried them into the MDR in a tote bag to be discreet (her safe condiments), and we had some sealed snacks for her too for shore time. We had other foods in a rented refrigerator in our room and that worked very well.

Before we booked I talked to her about the focus on food on cruise ships and we discussed how this might be difficult, but she said to me, "Grandma, I really want to go, and if I have to live on Rice Krispies the whole time, I will. I will do whatever I have to to stay safe and not get sick."

She did great! But it took some work and some concessions on her part to take responsibility for what she ate, and she made her choices conservatively. HAL didn't have the array of GF and DF foods and substitute milks etc.,that they have now - we just did without some things - so maybe it was easier to avoid cross contamination issues then.

They tried very hard to offer her what they thought was appropriate but she had to make sure it was ok for her - such as their GF pasta was not safe for her because of the pea flour.

They willingly brought her containers to read the ingredients! Even in the MDR.

She loved the variety of poultry - quail, duck, pheasant, squab - and she loved the sorbets as long as she could get them to not put the cookie on top!

It can be done but one has to do a fair amount of work and proceed with caution. Our biggest lesson was that the onus was on us, and they assisted us in meeting our needs. m--

Please be aware that some ports do not allow people to bring food off of the ship. I believe that usually is for fresh foods such as fruit and veggies but I'm not sure that all ports allow packaged food.

I'm a first time cruiser and I have celiac's disease and therefore must eat gluten free. I'm concerned I will be sick. Anyone with experience on this ship?

Both my granddaughter and I are gluten intolerant. I used the email info for HAL Ship services provided in mslindz’ post yesterday and received this reply from HAL on the same day. Much easier than it was in the past!

Everything is all set for you and Ava now for your Gluten Free request. There are no forms to fill out for this as there were in the past as all of the ships now carry a stock of gluten free foods onboard all sailings. All that is needed now is for you to let us know that that you need to have a gluten free diet while onboard our ships. The only dining venue onboard that can guarantee against cross contamination is the Main Dining Room as the other venues have too small of kitchens to dedicate a space for gluten free food preparation.”

Both my granddaughter and I are gluten intolerant. I used the email info for HAL Ship services provided in mslindz’ post yesterday and received this reply from HAL on the same day. Much easier than it was in the past!

Everything is all set for you and Ava now for your Gluten Free request. There are no forms to fill out for this as there were in the past as all of the ships now carry a stock of gluten free foods onboard all sailings. All that is needed now is for you to let us know that that you need to have a gluten free diet while onboard our ships. The only dining venue onboard that can guarantee against cross contamination is the Main Dining Room as the other venues have too small of kitchens to dedicate a space for gluten free food preparation.”

I believe when noticed of this dietary demand, HAL brings aboard pre-packaged meals to meet this requirement. Glad they are also noticing passengers upfront HAL cannot control cross-contamination the ship's other food prep venues.

• 2 months later...

My DW has a number of dietary concerns including gluten. The last time we sailed with HAL she had no issues and she is pretty diligent about asking (although she is not Celiac). In addition to gluten she worries about: dairy, nightshades, pepper and alcohol and all of these impact her to some degree (often the next day). We just booked on Koningsdam's June 24 sailing so will try to remember to report back.

Since I can't edit my old post anymore; here is the resolution:

HAL talked to me yesterday and they did in fact made it right with us. I'm very happy to say my trust was not misplaced. My mom is happy too. Any new bookings will go through the guest services person now to make sure a next cruise will be smooth sailing allergy wise.

Since this post is almost a year old, I doubt the OP will respond but I am curious to know, in light of all the problems with life-threatening issues, just what did HAL do to make "it right with us".

Sadly, we have had two very different experiences as my mom has to eat gluten free and also has severe food allergies, although not on the Koningsdam, which has more pax then the Ms Rotterdam.

We are always very well prepared, with a printed sheet with her food allergies, choose fixed dining first seating (least chance of cross contamination) and fill out all forms.

First time on Ms Rotterdam:

Pre-filled in a form with gf foods to show what she liked (white bread/brown bread, pasta's, cookies, muffins etc.)

Great dining room staff, desserts where a problem (only mousse, nothing much else), and had to ask for separate butter bowl.

Great 2nd chef at the buffet (Lido), would keep her favourites separate and help out to make sure she wouldn't be glutened

Pizza; tasty

Dive In; not done on that cruise

Great experience over all, happily recommended pax with food allergies or food intolerance book HAL.

Second time this year on Ms Rotterdam:

No GF form anymore, tried filling in web form, didn't work. Called HAL about it several times, finally e-mailed ship services. Got no reply.

HAL said it was fixed; mom kept getting reminders

Great dining room staff, got some great desserts this time, had to ask for separate butter bowl again, but always had gluten free bread

Some dishes had no veg or no carbs on them, even though menu was chosen day before. Unsure if kitchen staff just forgot, or if there is something in there she can't eat and they forgot to substitute.

Lido: a mess, gluten free stuff in between gluten area's, problems getting glutened, staff not knowing what was what or what was gluten free. Gluten free desserts on menu at lunch, but not actually present at the buffet. Problems Problems Problems.

Pizza: Glutened because server forgot to change gloves

Dive In: had sauce on first gf bun (can't have due to other allergies, server didn't note no sauce), ask for a remake. Told no more gf buns. Received overcooked grilled chicken.

We complained many times about this, finally having to escalate. Still awaiting upon a reply from HAL which they promised before the 18th, when today is the 19th. Very disappointed about how this was handled. Hoping they make it right with us. At this point, I can't recommend you book HAL, unless you don't mind having problems or spending a large part of your holiday educating staff.

It's truly a management issue for us, as it seems everybody had problems with food safety. If you put a gluten free bun in the gluten free bun toaster, then grab waffles for a second client, then use those gloves to grab out the gluten free bun... that's no longer gluten free. It seemed we had to explain that to everybody, as well as seeing that during busy times it's impossible for them to keep up with gluten free regulations. When busy times usually mean 3 pax asking for something, which is almost always. Another pax on the same cruise also got glutened, same as my mom. At least they didn't mess up with one of the life threatening food allergies, but I'm still angry about how this was handled. Cruise Director said they dropped the ball and they did, so let's hope they talk to me next week.

Re-post of the problems this poster had on the Rotterdam, that were finally resolved apparently to her satisfaction. I suspect the resolution would be a future cruise credit or perhaps a cash amount compensation.

Could be the Konigsdam is better suited to provide a response to different dietary demands with built-in facilities to handle these cross-contamination issues. Whereas the older Rotterdam would have to create new space out of no where, in order to provide similar food prep accommodations.

A few weeks ago on the Rotterdam I asked the cook at the Lido waffle station to pour some batter on the waffle iron while she waited for toast at the toaster. I couldn’t believe that she would not. Very politely, after serving the toast, she explained to me that the lady waiting for the toast needed gluten-free. The cook was clearly unwilling to touch anything until done making and serving the gluten free toast.

My DW has a number of dietary concerns including gluten. The last time we sailed with HAL she had no issues and she is pretty diligent about asking (although she is not Celiac). In addition to gluten she worries about: dairy, nightshades, pepper and alcohol and all of these impact her to some degree (often the next day). We just booked on Koningsdam's June 24 sailing so will try to remember to report back.

We are on the cruise immediately before you 6/10-24. I am greatly encouraged by what I have read on this thread. This cruise has the advantage over our last in Sept 1917 that it is not the last of the cycle. Much of the staff was going home for a visit or continuing their work on another ship. They sort of had Spring Fever.

I came off the beautiful Koningsdam ship 11 days ago and was well cared for and gluten free. The choice of meals in the Lido and MDR is amazing. As previously mentioned, I ordered my gluten free meal one night ahead in MDR and must praise the chefs and kitchen staff for their diligence.

In the Lido, the gluten free bread and cookies are at the ‘Sweet Spot’ food station on a corner. Queuing necessary in the mornings as this is where the fresh fruits, yogurts, dries fruit nibbles and nuts are served. I tried to tell senior staff that a new toaster was needed here as my bread was never browned. Good luck with that one!

You will need to be persistent and ask staff about the gluten free options. Apparently gluten free pancakes were available also. Ice creams were very good - no problem there for me. The fries at the ‘dive in’ also far too tasty and not coated with the dreaded flour.

I have managed to loose the 2 kilo weight gain since being home tackling a spring clean of the house in U.K. Happy sailings.

• 4 weeks later...
Since most recipes claim gelato is primarily eggs, cream, milk and sugar, why does one suspect they will get gluten in their gelato?

Gelato could have gluten from cross contamination. If the factory runs vanilla after a run of cookie dough gelato then the vanilla can get contaminated with gluten from the cookie dough. The equipment is not dismantled and stripped clean between runs. That is enough gluten to cause a reaction in a Celiac.

Gelato could have gluten from cross contamination. If the factory runs vanilla after a run of cookie dough gelato then the vanilla can get contaminated with gluten from the cookie dough. The equipment is not dismantled and stripped clean between runs. That is enough gluten to cause a reaction in a Celiac.

Also the utensil used to serve the gelato could very well be contaminated with gluten from a flavor of gelato that has cookie pieces in it.

Thanks 2aran for your review. We will be on her sister ship Nieuw Statendam next spring. I have Celiac and am heartened to hear the food was good. I have stopped expecting the food to be GREAT just safe and hopefully tasty. Question: are the fries at the Dive In cooked in a dedicated fryer so no other breaded items are fried in there also? Cheers!

I suspect at some point in the near future mass market cruise lines will become unable to respond to these minute "dietary" demands, as much as the airlines are now having to severely limit passenger demands for their "support" animals. I think it is unrealistic for anyone with such "life-threatening" dietary considerations to demand they have exactly the same experience onboard a cruise ship as those in the general population.

Stay away from the Lido, stick to the MDR and your prior official special diet requests and know compromises and accommodations work both ways. To demand separate but equal food preparation for every single food item offered the general passenger, along with individual staff attention to each single food offering to the general public is in my mind unrealistic.

• 1 month later...
I suspect at some point in the near future mass market cruise lines will become unable to respond to these minute "dietary" demands, as much as the airlines are now having to severely limit passenger demands for their "support" animals. I think it is unrealistic for anyone with such "life-threatening" dietary considerations to demand they have exactly the same experience onboard a cruise ship as those in the general population.

Stay away from the Lido, stick to the MDR and your prior official special diet requests and know compromises and accommodations work both ways. To demand separate but equal food preparation for every single food item offered the general passenger, along with individual staff attention to each single food offering to the general public is in my mind unrealistic.

OlsSalt,

You need to take a chill pill.

I have not heard folks DEMANDING separate but EQUAL FOR EVERY SINGLE FOOD ITEM. That is crazy.

There is no reason someone can’t ask about the ingredients in a food before they order it. This is not the Army chow line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

:confused:

Why are you even concerned with this?

Millions of Americans, not to mention the world, have serious dietary requirements that sometimes can be fatal.

This thread is clearly marked for those of us with Celiac Disease and/or gluten issues. Why are you here, to cause drama?

1 in 150 Americans have Celiac Disease. Many more have other issues.

You are clearly unconcerned about anyone but yourself, otherwise you would educate yourself, instead of ostracize yourself.

In re-reading this thread I saw that I said I'd report back... We had a great cruise to Norway on the K'dam this past June. Starting with lunch in the MDR my wife had no problems with gluten. We ate in the Lido on most mornings although we did room service on debarkation day. The Lido was much better on K'dam this trip but you still need to be mindful. Dinners were mostly MDR and you'll get a menu tonight for what you'd like tomorrow and it will be prepared GF (or there will be a GF substitution if that isn't possible). We really like Tamarind and her GF concerns were addressed and Tamarind remains one of our favorite venues. In the past you did need to flag your GF concerns to HAL prior to your cruise as posted earlier in this thread that is no longer required but you should certainly mention it during your booking process - your TA can make sure that you'll get a GF meal on your flights. Once on board, minimally let your server know ideally let the dining room manager know. Ask in the Lido, the servers have typically been made aware of the issues associated with Celiac, GF and other food allergies. Is it possible that you'll be glutened? Sure but as long as you're mindful and minimally engaged things should be fine - at least that has been our experience. HAL has been getting better and better about this.

In re-reading this thread I saw that I said I'd report back... We had a great cruise to Norway on the K'dam this past June. Starting with lunch in the MDR my wife had no problems with gluten. We ate in the Lido on most mornings although we did room service on debarkation day. The Lido was much better on K'dam this trip but you still need to be mindful. Dinners were mostly MDR and you'll get a menu tonight for what you'd like tomorrow and it will be prepared GF (or there will be a GF substitution if that isn't possible). We really like Tamarind and her GF concerns were addressed and Tamarind remains one of our favorite venues. In the past you did need to flag your GF concerns to HAL prior to your cruise as posted earlier in this thread that is no longer required but you should certainly mention it during your booking process - your TA can make sure that you'll get a GF meal on your flights. Once on board, minimally let your server know ideally let the dining room manager know. Ask in the Lido, the servers have typically been made aware of the issues associated with Celiac, GF and other food allergies. Is it possible that you'll be glutened? Sure but as long as you're mindful and minimally engaged things should be fine - at least that has been our experience. HAL has been getting better and better about this.

Thanks for this info.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...