Another reservation question : )

bigsky

Does the specialty restaurants hold a number aside? Trying to book and can't get in when we want or at all. Was wondering if they set some aside so once I board, I could try and get reservations booked then?

Thanks!

Yes, waited too late to book : (

I've heard they only book 25-35% of the tables in advance. Once you're on board you should be able to get the time you want. Install the iConcierge app, as soon as you're on the ship and sometimes while you're waiting to board you'll be able to book restaurants.

Thanks so much! I know on Royal they do that, but wasn't sure about NCL. I'll just wait to book while on board. Now I get to eat with dh and not have to eat at 9:30 : )

Does the specialty restaurants hold a number aside? Trying to book and can't get in when we want or at all. Was wondering if they set some aside so once I board, I could try and get reservations booked then?

Thanks!

Yes, waited too late to book : (

You can book on embarkation day. Prime time dining will sell out. The most popular is Teppanyaki followed by Cagneys.

On most ships, you can use the touch screen kiosks in public areas to book your dinners.

Reservations open 90 days prior to departure. 100 days for Suites guests. Prime time advance bookings sell out quickly.

Assumed OP's question might be for the *Away ships and not knowing the sailing date ... here's what I suggest: re-check availability within 5 days to 2 weeks of sailing, depending on sales - slots might open up, the size of your party might also make a difference ... easily for 2 or 4 than bigger group. If still nothing, then as noted - pre-install the free iConcierge App (iOS, Android & Windows) on smartphone before arriving at the pier, while waiting to board and once checked in - connect to ship's WiFi, register your device & activate.

Once done, check for specialty dining availability - and, book it, be flexible. The venue might be 75% full (or less) but availability of wait staff, including rotation, do and can affect the system's ability to fully populate all the tables.

Lastly, if OP is Platinum or otherwise have access to ship's concierge, make a request and they've been known to be able to pull a few strings & do magic ... don't forget the "symbolic" token of appreciation for excellence in services rendered.

When we're sailing the Gem 3 weeks ago, maybe it was because ship was late - the reservation desk/kiosk was "mobile" and inside the cruise terminal, beyond the check-in area - laptop & menus on display and they're doing on the spot booking, don't even need to waiting until onboard.

Assumed OP's question might be for the *Away ships and not knowing the sailing date ... here's what I suggest: re-check availability within 5 days to 2 weeks of sailing, depending on sales - slots might open up, the size of your party might also make a difference ... easily for 2 or 4 than bigger group. If still nothing, then as noted - pre-install the free iConcierge App (iOS, Android & Windows) on smartphone before arriving at the pier, while waiting to board and once checked in - connect to ship's WiFi, register your device & activate.

Once done, check for specialty dining availability - and, book it, be flexible. The venue might be 75% full (or less) but availability of wait staff, including rotation, do and can affect the system's ability to fully populate all the tables.

Lastly, if OP is Platinum or otherwise have access to ship's concierge, make a request and they've been known to be able to pull a few strings & do magic ... don't forget the "symbolic" token of appreciation for excellence in services rendered.

When we're sailing the Gem 3 weeks ago, maybe it was because ship was late - the reservation desk/kiosk was "mobile" and inside the cruise terminal, beyond the check-in area - laptop & menus on display and they're doing on the spot booking, don't even need to waiting until onboard.

We're cruising Friday. Yes, last minute. I've cruised 13 times and never did this before. First time with NCL. I know with Royal, they have places set up right when you board that you can book your specialty restaurants there. So no platinum here.

Will book as soon as we board.

Thanks!

You can book on embarkation day. Prime time dining will sell out. The most popular is Teppanyaki followed by Cagneys.

On most ships, you can use the touch screen kiosks in public areas to book your dinners.

Reservations open 90 days prior to departure. 100 days for Suites guests. Prime time advance bookings sell out quickly.

Yep, the two we're having problems with is Teppanyaki and Cagneys. I'll quickly book as soon as we board. Now I know. : (

We're cruising Friday. Yes, last minute. I've cruised 13 times and never did this before. First time with NCL ... Will book as soon as we board.

Thanks!

You are welcomed, just joining the crowd to offer our best insights.

The Dawn, we fell in love with that ship when it was home port in NYC - wow, it's been a while (2003 season)

Keep checking daily until Thursday, that's when they "lock" down the online system for booking & changes - be sure to print your eDocs and eLuggage tags, etc. by then or you won't have access to it (day before sailing) - when we sailed the Gem 3 weeks ago, NCL's system released additional booking slots as we got closer ... not prime time slots, but if 5:00 or 5:30 PM or 8:30, 9:00 or 9:30 PM dining is acceptable, you might be able to book it. Forget Teppanyaki as that's probably all sold out - you can do those in the greater Boston area easily (since you are new to NCL, the surf & turf is really steak & shrimp, not lobster/tail) Cagney is popular but if we wanted to do Le Bistro last minute during our week, we could've booked it just before we sailed ... online. There was good availability for La Cucina and limited time slots for Moderno on a last minute booking basis. Full sea days are always tough but once she arrived for Dockyard - it should be easier to "hunt" for an opening to dine ...

The way NCL's specialty dining system evolved, folks no longer cancel some of the reservations, resulting in no-shows but holding up others ... we've sat thru 2 evenings in LeBistro last year on the Breakaway for our dinner, at 75% capacity only - rest of the tables remained unoccupied but also not available for walk-ups due to staffing level planned.

Regardless, you probably got a good last minute deal - enjoy your cruise. BTW, the MDR choices for dinner are pretty good lately - both the lamb & prime rib, no surcharges or need to pay extra.

You can also try and call NCL to see if they can get you reservations. It worked for me. I don't know if that happens a lot but they were able to get me reservations at the time I wanted when online it was not available.