Carnival Prices ?

What's hard for people like me that don't live where you have easy access to anything but RCCl and CCL. NCL has some access but not year around. When I price a cruise I take into consideration travel to get to port. We can't afford to fly to any port. THEN you have to factor in those of us that aren't people that get to cruise more than once a year. Some of us only get every other year or less. So when I did my research, it was MUCH cheaper to do the CCL out of NOLA than it was for the NCL out of NOLA a few weeks earlier. The cruise I was going to take on NCL is $3500 with dining and drink package but the CCL was less than $2000, granted it was 1 port less, no drink or dining package. I will add $800 on my CCL tab for drink package and it still comes out cheaper. Everyone is different, for many it comes down to what is cheaper and easiest to get to port. It really just depends on what people want, what's important to them, and things they like. Me, I just like cruises and being with my hubby. The rest is just minor details.

I agree that price is a major factor and when we moved closer to the ports (we're within a reasonable drive to Savannah, Mobile, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Port Canaveral, and we can make it to Miami and New Orleans within a day's drive as well) we recognized that that advantage was limited by the cruise lines that served the ports. Price does limit our choices, practically speaking, and leaves us having to be satisfied with some compromises on quality and such in return for being about to vacation more often.

We usually compare Royal and Carnival. Carnival tends to win with pricing for a family of 4 in the high demand months. I am talking almost $1000 cheaper. I have cruised on the Oasis and although it was great, I don't need all the bells and whistles for every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The real test is posting three examples that anyone else can go online and check that the comparison is a true apples to apples comparison. I haven't seen anyone do that making the claims easy to dismiss as aberrations.

Example One:

San Juan Departure 4/14/18 & 4/15/18

Celebrity Summit OV 877 includes 150 OBC and drinks package

Carnival Fascination OV 576

You pay 300 more for Summit, but you get 150 back in OBC and a drinks package for a week for the extra 150, if you don't drink, pick tips. And the Summit is a 5.0/6.0 rated ship, while the Fascination is 3.5/6.0

Example Two:

Miami Departure 3/31/18 Eastern Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox OV 974 same perks as above

Carninal Glory OV 751

After 150 back, you get the drinks package for only 75. Equinox 5.5/6.0 Glory 4.5/6.0

Example Three:

Miami Departure 3/24/18 Western Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox OV 974 same perks as above

Carnival Glory OV 751 same as above

Three different itineraries with the first comparison being about equal but on a much nicer, newer ship and the second and third are cheaper and also on a nicer, newer ship.

<snip>
I bet that took some work. Regardless, you made clear in your examples that those were cases where Carnival was the "lower priced option" - those were AdGuyMG's exact words. Your examples not only confirmed that Carnival is the lower priced option in each case, but also confirmed that Celebrity is a higher grade of cruise line having more included in what it offers. And that's precisely the obfuscation I was referring to at the beginning of the thread... posters trying to make it seem like the two cruise lines aren't clearly in different grades by obfuscating the difference in this precise manner.

Just need to watch pricing. The boards of the various lines are good. Some on CC have ins and find things out before it's made public.

Apples to Apples comparison - Short cruises out of Los Angeles. We were lucky enough to hit the Princess fire sale of the 3/4 day West Coast cruises a few years back. The whole cruise fare (still had to pay fees/taxes) could be used for payment on a longer cruise. Best we ever got on Carnival around the same time was a 2 day for $25pp with $25 OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bet that took some work.

Without putting in any work, I've talked to Carnival cruisers, on Celebrity Ships, that were there solely for the price. Bermuda got ridiculously cheap last summer on Celebrity (likely due to a pricing game, that pushed inside cabins below Carnival's). The end of the Alaska season 2014, the Millennium beat Carnival by a few hundred dollars, before even looking at perks.

Some absolutely loved the "splurge", and while others complained every time they saw me passing by, about how boring and arrogant everyone was. When I asked what they had experienced with snobbishness, they said that an employee had snapped at them in the buffet. :confused:

It could be argued that Carnival is a budget, entry level cruise line, but by all accounts, they do what they do, very well. Carnival wouldn't have the repeat customers and ferocious defenders if they weren't providing a good experience.

Like I've said as well as others. Carnival prices always appear lowest for the base cruise for the most part. It's when the other lines throw in OBC, dining and drink packages where the bottom line tightens and the rubber meets the road. I'd bet the majority of first timers cruise Carnival. I'll also say those who have only cruised Carnival have nothing to compare it to nor on what they are missing out. I can cruise Carnival for a $800 lower cruise price then buy a $900 Cheers package. I get that basically for free (service charge only) on NCL and now they're the cheaper cruise. CCL knows they reel you in with low fares with no extras knowing they'll get you at the end once on board. Many Carnival cruisers don't realize this one bit.

Like I've said as well as others. Carnival prices always appear lowest for the base cruise for the most part. It's when the other lines throw in OBC, dining and drink packages where the bottom line tightens and the rubber meets the road. I'd bet the majority of first timers cruise Carnival. I'll also say those who have only cruised Carnival have nothing to compare it to nor on what they are missing out. I can cruise Carnival for a $800 lower cruise price then buy a $900 Cheers package. I get that basically for free (service charge only) on NCL and now they're the cheaper cruise. CCL knows they reel you in with low fares with no extras knowing they'll get you at the end once on board. Many Carnival cruisers don't realize this one bit.

Perks such as drink packages and even OBC (if it can't be used for tips), are "worth" only their value to the individual cruising.

We've sailed Celebrity a few times (4) and have received the "free" drinks package. We don't really drink that much though - so the "value" of that perk is about $100 in alcohol and $60 worth of bon voyage soda and water and say, $120 in specialty coffees - for the 3 of us total is $280 - because that's what we'd actually spend without the package. For us, it's not 3 x $50 a day for Cheers because we wouldn't get it nor even come close to needing it.

If we can use OBC for tips, great - it adds the equivalent dollar value to our cruise. If you can't use it for that, it doesn't really add anything we'd use (we don't tend to shop on board, we rarely do excursions and we generally don't do specialty dining unless we're having issues with the food onboard). If I can't use it for tips, it's just an extra that I may or may not use but doesn't add "value" to me.

For me I price my trips "all in" (cruise, travel, tips, drinks, dining, shopping, excursions, etc). Sometimes Carnival is the cheapest, sometimes not.

For us Royal used to come out at one of the cheapest (a Voyager class ship out of Bayonne with the 3 of us in one inside accessible cabin). Now that on Royal we feel that specialty dining and a non alcoholic drink package is a must (for us, YMMV), when I add in those costs, it's not necessarily the cheap cruise deal it used to be.

It could be argued that Carnival is a budget, entry level cruise line, but by all accounts, they do what they do, very well.
A high quality, low grade offering.

Perks such as drink packages and even OBC (if it can't be used for tips), are "worth" only their value to the individual cruising.
Precisely. A "free" drinks package will be worth less than $250 to us.

For me I price my trips "all in" (cruise, travel, tips, drinks, dining, shopping, excursions, etc).
We do the same. It's the bottom line that counts.

I'll make my personal comparison. We sailed the Vista in April and the NCL Escape in April 2016, both new ships. We paid 3600 for the Vista for four in a Cloud 9 spa inside cabin for 8 days. This was including tips, taxes, etc. We paid 3200 for a family balcony for four on the Escape for seven days which included the free drink package (no service charge) for my wife and I that was worth well over $1000 for us. The Escape was a better value in this case.

I totally agree! And you probably got to choose one more "free perk" since you had a balcony and you get to chose two! Even more of a savings! Can't beat NCL for value. I used to say that about Carnival, but no more.

There are tiered groupings of Cruise lines. The entry level would be Carnival, Royal, NCL and soon MSC. A level up would be Celebrity, Princess and Holland America. You need to also compare an apple to an apple to make a fair comparison. Vista vs Escape is fair because they're the newest and biggest that the lines currently have. My next cruise will be number 30, 18 of which have been on Carnival. But I will say that the Escape gives you great value for your dollar. It will be the only ship I have sailed 3 times. Besides the Alchemy Bar and lunchtime eating options, the Escape does everything else better than Carnival, IMO. Adult comedy shows take reservations instead of 30 minute waits and they have pseudo Broadway entertainment instead of playlist productions or Hasbro the game show in the main show room. And a sit down restaurant open 24 hours a day. And an included drinks package which Carnival and Royal have never had. And their one pool is adults only till 500 pm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I agree with you on every point you make! The drink package along for a seven day cruise is a $800 savings! Also, add in the fact that you can wear shorts every night in the MDR and don't have to pack any dress clothes. Now that makes for a relaxing vacation. Also love the O'Sheehan's pub 24/7 for food.

We all cruise for different reasons and are looking for different experiences.

I don't cruise to shop and don't want a mega ship. RCL doesn't attract me.

I've never had a bar bill that hit $100.00 so a free drink package with gratuities and taxes over that amount doesn't attract me.

I hate (loathe, detest, abhor) a first class/steerage class ship. Knock out NCL and Carnival Vista and Horizon.

Galveston is within easy driving distance.

My own preferences generally bring me to Carnival. The experience isn't perfect but for the last several years it has provided me the best value for my own preferences.

I am not loyal to any one line, but as in shopping for a major purchase such as a car, or a fairly trivial night eating out, I take my own preferences into consideration, and the value to me as the consumer.

Assuming we all do the same I applaud the fact there is a choice.

And I am not shy about pointing out areas where Carnival disappoints.

I'll make my personal comparison. We sailed the Vista in April and the NCL Escape in April 2016, both new ships. We paid 3600 for the Vista for four in a Cloud 9 spa inside cabin for 8 days. This was including tips, taxes, etc. We paid 3200 for a family balcony for four on the Escape for seven days which included the free drink package (no service charge) for my wife and I that was worth well over $1000 for us. The Escape was a better value in this case.

Absolutely agree!

Escape for me was 3,200.00 for Spa Balcony. Benefits included were SDP, UBP, and Spa pass for 7 days.

Vista next May 3,300.00 Lido Deck Balcony, No Specialty Dining, No Drink Package, and No Spa for 8 days.

Better value by far is NCL!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the overall difference between different grades of cruise lines.

This thread is about Carnival pricing compared to other lines. When does it become taboo to discuss exactly that? I'm not sure I've read anyone claim that Carnival and Celebrity were exactly the same. I certainly didn't refer to the "differences" or "grades" of the two lines.

I just booked a Springhill Marriott in Phoenix, cheaper than the Best Western nearby. Sometimes a "superior" product, can fluctuate to be the cheaper option.

When does it become taboo to discuss exactly that?
When is agreeing to disagree after a discussion that reaches an intractable difference of perspective making discussion taboo?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Overall value is the main reason I have been drawn to Carnival recently although prices have been rising but that is expected because they seem to be not only sailing full but many ships are selling out weeks in advance. In the past we were just about equally split between the big 3, now we are taking CCL 75% of the time. The reason is they seem to offer a better value while providing the same primary experience. Some things they do better and some things need improvement but I feel the same way about the other 2.

I believe right now CCL is trading fares for market share and I think they are winning.

This is it for my DW and I, you hit the nail right on the head. While it maybe cheaper then most cruise line, I do not get this while on board. Food is subjective and in our opinion is just as good as the other cruise lines we have sailed, such as; RCCL (well this one maybe slightly better), NCL, and Princess. Entertainment, ask anyone on here about any of the cruise lines the main shows are NOT Broadway shows rather Broadway like shows, they are equally as good or bad. As for the personal entertainment such as; solo guitar players, jazz bands, the house bands ect..ect..ect.., they are all comparable. In fact if you have ever watched American Idol and know who Simon Cowell is, he has said many times "Yes you can sing and play the guitar however I can see that exact act on almost any street corner in America, we are looking for something fresh." As for all the extra fill ins they have going on such as; sail way party, 80's all white dress code deck party, bingo, Karaoke, ice sculpting, ect..ect.. ALL the major cruise lines do this sort of thing (they just may call it something else). So to the OP all I can say is, you will have to try different cruise lines and make your own opinions. Here is my example, we are booked on the Carnival Splendor for 2018 Alaskan Journeys cruise. We also looked at RCCL for the same time slot. The Carnival cruise is costing us around $6,000 for two for 14 days, the RCCL cruise would have been a B2B costing us well over $10,000. So in short, although we may think RCCL is slightly better (I mean slightly) CCL is just as good as the rest, but cheaper.

When is agreeing to disagree after a discussion that reaches an intractable difference of perspective making discussion taboo?

When you are reprimanding everyone for sticking to subject, with red herring arguments. If it gets on your nerves that there are people out there, who think there's little difference between Carnival & Celebrity, have at them on those threads. On a thread titled "Carnival Prices", people are going to talk about money.

I don't have a problem with "agreeing to disagree", but when you put qualifiers on it that have nothing to do with what your opponent was saying, it becomes a straw man.

Example:

"Some Veterinarians charge different boarding fees based on where you live."

"I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the overall difference between dogs and cats."

I bet that took some work. Regardless, you made clear in your examples that those were cases where Carnival was the "lower priced option" - those were AdGuyMG's exact words. Your examples not only confirmed that Carnival is the lower priced option in each case, but also confirmed that Celebrity is a higher grade of cruise line having more included in what it offers. And that's precisely the obfuscation I was referring to at the beginning of the thread... posters trying to make it seem like the two cruise lines aren't clearly in different grades by obfuscating the difference in this precise manner.
No, it wasn't a whole lotta work. All I did was go on a comparison website that can't be mentioned and I did as you asked for and provided a concrete example that showed that Carnival was status quo with the Fascination vs the Summit and was MORE expensive when you take the entire package offering when comparing the Glory with the Equinox. You your self wanted an apples to apples comparison and in all of my examples, Celebrity was the better value.

You do a great job of spin doctoring....you must have been a lawyer in a previous life.

Its simple. Carnival is the "Walmart" of cruise lines....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And your posting means absolutely nothing since you have never sailed on a Carnival cruise ship according to your signature. So you have no first hand experience to make that judgement, only the regurgitated drivel from the loyal royals over on their board.

When you are reprimanding everyone for sticking to subject, with red herring arguments.
Good thing no one is doing that.

You your self wanted an apples to apples comparison and in all of my examples, Celebrity was the better value.
But was priced higher, not lower.

Higher grade of offering. Higher price of offering.

You do a great job of spin doctoring....you must have been a lawyer in a previous life.
If anything it is the opposite. I'm sticking to the actual words we've said, while you're "creatively" trying to rationalize your personal perspective as the only possible interpretation.

The reality is that Carnival (and Royal Caribbean) are entry level cruise lines, along with all that means, and there are higher grade cruise lines that offer higher grade offerings. No amount of "spin doctoring" on your part is going to disprove that.

Again, we're going to have to agree to disagree about the overall difference between different grades of cruise lines.