Carnival Prices ?

It is interesting that these comparisons are only between Carnival, NCL and Royal? Why not add on any of the other Carnival Corporation choices like Princess or even Holland America.

"Carnival" is a large corporation that offers many styles of cruising at different price points.

We also love Royal Caribbean but it left California some years ago so don't have the opportunity as much as we'd like. It is sometimes less expensive on Carnival Cruise line(as opposed to the corp) but not always. It depends on what itinerary and what cabin class you choose.

Someone didn't read the entire thread before posting because I just read 2-3 posts about HAL and/or Princess.

It is interesting that these comparisons are only between Carnival, NCL and Royal? Why not add on any of the other Carnival Corporation choices like Princess or even Holland America.[/quote]

Last week there was thread here on the Carnival board titled "Carnival Lost $$$ Tonite" and the bottom line was the poster cancelled a couple of future Carnival cruises and booked with Celebrity who they claim was a lower priced option.

Here in California, Princess and Holland America often have better prices than Carnival. It is wise to do price comparisons, rather than assuming that Carnival is cheaper because it has that reputation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last week there was thread here on the Carnival board titled "Carnival Lost $$$ Tonite" and the bottom line was the poster cancelled a couple of future Carnival cruises and booked with Celebrity who they claim was a lower priced option.

The real test is posting three examples that anyone else can go online and check that the comparison is a true apples to apples comparison. I haven't seen anyone do that making the claims easy to dismiss as aberrations.

For example, let's take my upcoming Cozumel Plus itinerary in November. Celebrity does not have any comparable cruises. So anyone claiming that they can do better on Celebrity, price-wise, is blowing smoke.

Okay so let's switch to a less exotic Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan.

Carnival: $419 per person

Celebrity: $649 per person

Let's switch to Alaska (Seattle roundtrip) in June 2018.

Carnival: $949 per person

Celebrity: $1,079 per person

Let's switch to Mexico:

Oh wait... There is no apples to apples comparison.

How about Canada this September:

Again, no apples to apples comparison.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The best analogy I could give is hotel chains. Some are low, some are mid and some are high. I would no say Carnival is low end like Super 8 but more moderate like a Hilton. You will find all kinds of people staying at a Hilton - some for whom it is at the top of the budget and for others who don't need what they consider the little details and bells and whistles of a Four Seasons or anything between them.

Carnival is catering to this moderate budget. You can cruise much more cheaply as a family of 4 than say go to Disney and stay in a moderate resort.

But as someone who has compared Carnival to Disney to Princess to RCI for years - 99% of the time when we travel (Christmas and Spring) Carnival generally has the lower price. I have always been repulsed by the rates Disney demands. And having done RCI I did not think the food was as good as I expected and the staff less pleasant. And while we prefer the slightly more elegant ships of Princess and the slightly classier crowd (you don't see men in tank tops in the MDR for example) we travel with our boys in 2 rooms and will happily sail wth Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is not true that there is no apples to apples comparison for Mexico. Fall, Winter and Spring, one can select among Carnival, Princess or HAL from SoCal to Mexican Riviera.

It is not true that there is no apples to apples comparison for Mexico. Fall, Winter and Spring, one can select among Carnival, Princess or HAL from SoCal to Mexican Riviera.

Oh, and sometimes Celebrity.

It is not true that there is no apples to apples comparison for Mexico.
Like I said: If you believe that there are apples to apples comparisons on Mexican itineraries between Carnival and Celebrity in June 2018 that show Celebrity less expensive (which is what we were discussing) then post some. I actually checked and during that month (June 2018) the two cruise lines we were discussing (Carnival and Celebrity) do not offer any comparable Mexican cruises.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I guess I could have used this example of pricing earlier. I just booked a 15 day Panama Canal earlier this week for April 2019 on the new Norwegian Bliss that arrives next year. It's for my family of four in a family inside cabin. I shopped around of course on Carnival and Royal. Here's what I found and how I based my decision. The Carnival Freedom and Miracle both had 14 days cruises (one day less). They are both older ships from 2003 and 2006 respectively so the new Bliss has much more appeal. The CCL ships were $100 more and one was $50 less. Remember, they are one day less then the NCL. He's the real kicker, NCL included the Unlimited Drink package which over 15 days is a huge, and I mean huge perk worth 2K! We love our drinks and one can only imagine what a bar tab will cost on a 15 day. Yes, there was a service charge of $400 but that still is a drop in the bucket compared to having to purchase Cheers for $1500 on CCL. So, $1100 on drink savings, brand new ship, and one more day. The best value is NCL. Royal's Vision of the Seas price was laughable. It's a 20 year old ship, it was one day longer and $1700 more with no drink package! One must shop around extensively as there are indeed better deals, apples to apples.

Edited by tallnthensome

Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean are the entry level lines for their respective corporations. The matter raised was Carnival being more expensive than Celebrity. Please revisit the earlier part of the discussion.

Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean are the entry level lines for their respective corporations. The matter raised was Carnival being more expensive than Celebrity. Please revisit the earlier part of the discussion.

I wasn't referring to your prior discussion. I was referring to post 2, mine, of this thread topic.

Ok. December Spa Balcony with TPool & saunas, Carnival 7 day Western, $2685 port fee taxes and tips. Celebrity Aqua Class with Persian Gardens for trip,with drink package,tips, $300 OBC, Blu restaurant 10 day $2895 with tax and fees. My December back to back.

Edited by nhsails
Spelling

I'll try to book them both tomorrow morning when I get to a real computer and confirm.

So that wood be #1. Where is #2 and#3?

bUU that's what I have booked now. Carnival booked last August. Celebrity book Dec. 2015 on ship. Still not sure why you are always so defensive with people who may have a different opinion or experience than you. Safe journeys.

Even though Celebrity is an upgrade over Carnival, the above comparison goes to show that you can't make general assumptions that Carnival will always be cheaper. Especially if you're comparing the Vista with one of X's older ships. Plus, X gives OBC and drinks packages as a perk. Carnival never gives perks, only somewhat lower prices more often than not.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Price the Vista out (which I just sailed) and the upcoming Horizon for 2019! :eek: Trust me, when it comes to these two carnival ships it isn't too hard to find prices from Celebrity, Princess, or even Holland that are pretty even. I booked my Vista 13 months out and it was still high. Just for sh1+s and giggles I mock booked the Horizon for 2019. I used the same inside Spa cabin number and number of days within a week of my 2017 Vista sailing and it was $1300 more for 2019 already, same itinerary same length! :eek: I didn't feel it was a "deal" a few weeks ago on the Vista and reaches absurd levels on the Horizon at $5000 for 4 including taxes, grats, vacation protection with zero perks.

Why is Carnival so much cheaper than it's competitors ?

Are the budget prices reflected in your on-board experience?

There prices go up all the time and the quality has gone down hill FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The real test is posting three examples that anyone else can go online and check that the comparison is a true apples to apples comparison. I haven't seen anyone do that making the claims easy to dismiss as aberrations.

For example, let's take my upcoming Cozumel Plus itinerary in November. Celebrity does not have any comparable cruises. So anyone claiming that they can do better on Celebrity, price-wise, is blowing smoke.

Okay so let's switch to a less exotic Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan.

Carnival: $419 per person

Celebrity: $649 per person

Let's switch to Alaska (Seattle roundtrip) in June 2018.

Carnival: $949 per person

Celebrity: $1,079 per person

Let's switch to Mexico:

Oh wait... There is no apples to apples comparison.

How about Canada this September:

Again, no apples to apples comparison.

You have to consider the perks offered as well. Celebrity currently offers a $150 pp OBC, drink package, prepaid gratuities or unlimited internet and Carnival offers nothing. That $300 per cabin OBC makes the Celebrity cruise the better bargain in both of your examples.

The cruise I booked offered 2 perks, so do the math.

Perhaps another line offering OBC/perks sails to Mexico and Canada.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Like I said: If you believe that there are apples to apples comparisons on Mexican itineraries between Carnival and Celebrity in June 2018 that show Celebrity less expensive (which is what we were discussing) then post some. I actually checked and during that month (June 2018) the two cruise lines we were discussing (Carnival and Celebrity) do not offer any comparable Mexican cruises.

Like I said, comparisons for Mexico are for fall, winter and spring. June is summer, and the ships are in Alaska.

bUU that's what I have booked now. Carnival booked last August.
So you think it makes sense to make categorical comments about cruise lines based on bookings done at completely different points in time. That's very creative.

Celebrity book Dec. 2015 on ship. Still not sure why you are always so defensive with people who may have a different opinion or experience than you. Safe journeys.
Interesting, since I'm not sure why you are so offensive to a different perspective - and really that's not even it, since the point we were discussing was whether Carnival and Celebrity are the same grade of offering overall, and I don't even think you think that based on these comments of yours. You seem to be just trying to say that there are exceptions, which there always are, without that actually changing the nature of the general case. It doesn't seem like you really disagree with the point I was making, which makes your reply even more puzzling.

Even though Celebrity is an upgrade over Carnival, the above comparison goes to show that you can't make general assumptions that Carnival will always be cheaper.
Precisely right. The general case is very clear, Celebrity is a higher grade cruise line as compared to Carnival (and Royal Caribbean), whether or not nhsails can agree, but there will always be exceptions. Finding three exceptions that are apples-to-apples comparisons is, as I indicated, a great deal of work.

You have to consider the perks offered as well.
Absolutely: Celebrity generally charges more but includes more. That's the nature of a higher grade cruise line, and why, when folks complain about having to pay extra for this or that that the recommendation is to go upscale (i.e., switch to Celebrity or Holland America or Princess) to enjoy such things as inclusions rather than extra fee options.

Like I said, comparisons for Mexico are for fall, winter and spring. June is summer, and the ships are in Alaska.
Carnival has three ships in Mexico during June 2018. Edited by bUU

There prices go up all the time and the quality has gone down hill FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I see some prices the same as they were in 2011, on our first cruise. If they aren't keeping up with inflation, something has to give. The food is going down hill, maintenance, bedding, customer service practice. 6 years ago I would compare it to a Holiday Inn, and now it is heading towards a Ramada.

Well, I see some prices the same as they were in 2011, on our first cruise. If they aren't keeping up with inflation, something has to give. The food is going down hill, maintenance, bedding, customer service practice. 6 years ago I would compare it to a Holiday Inn, and now it is heading towards a Ramada.

From our first cruise in 1992, prices have come WAY down. So have perks, food quality, etc. It used to be cruising was for the rich, or a once in a lifetime vacation. The budget cruises have made it an affordable family vacation. You get what you pay for. You want affordable? You don't get the best of everything.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Our last few cruises were with Carnival. I usually compare Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and Carnival is definitely less expensive. But. I think you get less too than with other lines that charge more. I was never willing to pay more to cruise, but our experience on the Dream this past January has changed my mind. I want to try Celebrity next time, and Princess (thinking of an Alaskan cruise), and go back to Royal as well on either the Oasis or Allure.