Cruising from New York

Bobblehat71

Hi All,

I am looking at a cruise from New York to the Caribbean in January 2018.

The itinerary is great and would be great to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.

However ,as its January I am concerned about the weather. There's 3 sea days to start , the first of which is likely to be freezing but not sure what to expect after that.

If anyone can can give us any info on what to expect that would be great.

Cheers

Bob.

Hey Bob,

We went on the Breakaway mid december this year. I, also, assumed the first couple days would be chilly. We left around 3ish from Manhattan, it was in the low 30's. Once we went under Verezzano bridge, we went inside and stayed in the most of the evening as it was spitting snow and rain.

Woke up the next morning, it was 68 degrees at 7am! They put on a fair amount of distance that first night, and one of the officers told me that once you get in whatever that warm water mass is north of Bermuda, it warms up quickly. Anyway, it was warm from that day forward. The last seaday was back down into the mid 60's, and then of course we woke up rolling past the statue of liberty and it was 28 degrees again. Hope that helps, enjoy your cruise!

It cold be chilly. Or your ship could be covered with snow when you leave.

You have made a very smart decision to do a few days in NY before the cruise.

1 - Weather could be bad screwing up flights.

2 - You get to spend time in NY - awesome city to visit, even if cold.

I feel sad for folks that fly in the day of their cruise and go straight to the ship.

I can tell you my experience. I took a 13 day cruise this year January 2nd from NY on Breakaway. The day of the cruise it was in 30s, the next day it was in the 60s, the next day it was in the 70s.

I do remember a few years back in March, it was a bit more chillier during days at sea from NY then this time in January.

Weather is unpredictable. January last year, we had snowstorm Jonas. Our flight to Newark Liberty airport was cancelled as it was closed for a day. This year, we had the typical 30s.

Spending a few days pre-cruise is a wise move.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also keep in mind the waters may be rough the first/last couple of days at that time. Bring some Bonine! We were on Anthem of the Seas in Feb 2016 and ended up in hurricane winds with 30 foot waves. We were terrified. That of course is the exception and not likely to happen again after all of the negative publicity the cruise line received!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I have done Winter cruises on Gem and Breakaway multiple times. First full sea day the ship enters the Gulfstream with relatively warmer waters and air temps. Sea conditions can vary from calm to very rough. Just bring Bonine if you are prone to sea sickness.

We sailed on the Breakaway this past March 26th with two days in NYC before. It was a little chilly walking around the city, but much more comfortable than sweltering in 90 degree heat as we've done in July in NYC.

It was cold the first and last day of the cruise.

Just a side note, my son went on a cruise out of Miami three weeks earlier March 3rd and they had colder weather for their whole cruise. Bad storms and raining for them the whole week. They needed sweatshirts down in Caribbean.

It really just depends on the weather forecast. We had more warm days sailing out of NYC than they had sailing out of Miami! Just because you go south in the winter doesn't guarantee you good weather.

We are doing the Western Caribbean on the Breakaway Jan 19, 2018. We are going to stay one night at Hilton Gardens...the night before. We are staying there for their"Park and Cruise package" which is awesome....they take you back and forth to the cruise terminal, free breakfast the morning of your cruise and parking is free for the duration of the cruise... That said, not sure if you need parking but if you are planning on doing NYC for a few days you will likely find that most hotels are extremely expensive. The Hilton has an "I Love NY" package for $149 and includes 2 roundtrip tickets to Manhatten. Here's a link incase you want to check it out. http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/hilton-garden-inn-ridgefield-park-LGARPGI/index.html

My very first cruise ever was out of NY on the GEM on 2/28/2009. The morning we left it was rainy and cold, and it dumped two feet of snow later that afternoon in NY. The seas were so rough from that storm system that all the drawers in my room kept opening and closing on their own, and my room (deluxe owners suite on the 8th floor) got flooded with sea water. In those days, that cruise stopped at Orlando, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau, St. Martin, and St. Thomas I believe. It was actually warmer in Orlando than it was in the Bahamas.. It was 74 in Orlando, and 67 in Nassau. The pool was opened on the first full sea day, but it really wasn't warm enough to really enjoy it. I'm told that it was a freak weather system and that isn't the norm, but that just goes to prove.. you never can predict what the weather will be like... I've been on 3 more cruises since then and haven't experienced weather like that since, and that's with 2 hurricanes following us to each port past August.

-Keith