Just booked 1st South America cruise

HomelessBear

Enjoy!!-

Rio to Buenas Aires was one of our most favorite cruises! Loved the Falkland Islands and Antarctica. Still regret we dint have time to go to the falls pre cruise-- if you are starting nearby and can make it happen- everyone we heard that did the pre cruise tour to the falls loved it!

- we just could not make it happen- left toddlers at home and could not be away any longer than what we did

We were able to dock in the Falklands and Patrick Watts was our guide since we booked early.

Very important to book your Falkland tours (independent or Princess) as soon as possible.

The Falklands do not have the tourist infrastructure to provide tours for even half the people that can sail on the Royal.

We did South America and Antarctica in 2010 - loved it and will probably do it again in 2 years, but likely on X, since I don't think Princess does it anymore.

I have a travel blog that I don't really update any more, but I did a pretty good job with that trip (other than typos): http://abbydancer2003.blogspot.com/2010/

At that time, we had unlimited internet, so I was able to update on the fly, but it was slow, so hence typos stayed. The posts from that trip were in January and February 2010.

Can only book in two segments. Fll to BA. Then BA to LA sameas last time. Same sale perks, freegratuities and obc

But this way i get two stock obc per leg of 250 each. Also two loyalty credits 100 each leg as well. With one leg of 49 days would only get 250 plus 100.

Important to wiegh out both ways of booking. Have agent see which is best foryou.

Also last time the individual legs dropped in price but the entire 49 days did not drop much.

Thanks so much. We were kicking that option around. I have only put a hold on the entire cruise. Will work out the details tomorrow with our TA.

My cruise history is showing 3 credits which is why I thought there were 3 segments.

Cheers, Denise

Thanks so much. We were kicking that option around. I have only put a hold on the entire cruise. Will work out the details tomorrow with our TA.

My cruise history is showing 3 credits which is why I thought there were 3 segments.

Cheers, Denise

It is technically three segments, but Princess currently is only allowing us in North America (at least) to book it as two segments. You will get three cruise credits for it, there will be three sets of internet minutes, 3 mini bars etc.

I love to do back to backs and always weigh which works out best for us in the end. Sometimes it is better as one leg, sometimes it is better separate legs. Let us know how you end up.

Vickie

Can only book in two segments. Fll to BA. Then BA to LA sameas last time. Same sale perks, freegratuities and obc

But this way i get two stock obc per leg of 250 each. Also two loyalty credits 100 each leg as well. With one leg of 49 days would only get 250 plus 100.

Important to wiegh out both ways of booking. Have agent see which is best foryou.

Also last time the individual legs dropped in price but the entire 49 days did not drop much.

I just did fake bookings and looked for the perks. The segments did NOT offer me the free gratuities or the $500 per person OBC. The only cruise that gave me that "View Special Offers" link was the full 49 day cruise. Where do you see those perks when booking the segments?

We booked the 49 days as the full cruise.

We wanted to book as two but the cabin we wanted Princess would not let us book as two. So our TA held that cabin then booked two other cabins. Then when she called us she asked did you see all the on board credit you have if you stay with the 49 day booking I looked and could not believe what I was seeing. We do have stock and military but what princess was adding to the 49 days booking was $1,600.

Also if your using FCC and the cruise is over 45 days they don't give you the OBC Princess gives you a 3% discount. And we use a TA so she also gives a discount.

The sad part is I know if you book as two one price goes down you get the adjustment. The 16 days from Santiago to LA that price always goes down.

So I guss we will stay with our 49 days for all the OBC and to get to keep our cabin we wanted. We have 72 days in the cabin from the last two years and love the location.

Hope this information helps.

Betty

I'm seriously considering booking BA to Santiago on the Emerald this February. At this point I can't select my cabin. only get a balcony guarantee. Would it be worth putting it off a year? Or is location that big of a deal?

Thanks in advance

I just did fake bookings and looked for the perks. The segments did NOT offer me the free gratuities or the $500 per person OBC. The only cruise that gave me that "View Special Offers" link was the full 49 day cruise. Where do you see those perks when booking the segments?

Thanks, Thrak.

I was, also, under the impression that the perks were only for the 49 days booked as one cruise. We are confirming the booking tomorrow with our TA. Will report back on what we were able to book. Right now I'm thrilled we have a confirmed cabin for 49 days!!

Vickie Bernie is it possible the perks you received for two segments were from your TA and not Princess?

Cheers, Denise

Also if your using FCC and the cruise is over 45 days they don't give you the OBC Princess gives you a 3% discount.

In New Zealand my TA has told me that I cannot use an FCC for the full deposit for the 49 day cruise!!

Also if your using FCC and the cruise is over 45 days they don't give you the OBC Princess gives you a 3% discount.

In New Zealand my TA has told me that I cannot use an FCC for the full deposit for the 49 day cruise!!

I'm thinking of this cruise. I put a hold on it and spoke with my TA today. She too told me that because Princess considers any cruise more than about 45 days as a World Cruise you can't use the FCC for the deposit (and I assume the corresponding OBC) but they will take it and instead give you a 3% discount.

I have seen multiple posts to that effect and I don't dispute it in general but... They accepted our FCD as the full deposit and they gave us the OBC for using the FCD. I don't know why it worked for me but I'm glad it did. Yes, the 3% discount is actually more than the OBC we will receive but using the FCD as our full deposit for the 49 day cruise makes me happy. We also got the $500 pp OBC. Now if we could only move it to a Sip and Sail... :cool:

3% discount plus a refund of your FCC. Unfortunately, you don't get the $150 OBC that comes with the FCC. They give you $500 OBC instead. :D

We are booked and counting the days. We were not able to use our FCC's but did get the 3% fare discount which was more than the FCC perks. The deposit was also reduced to 5%. The $1,000 OBC and prepaid gratuities are a wonderful perk!!

What we are going to do with 4 FCC's are another story. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

All you lucky folks going on 45+ day cruises. Oh you lucky people. [emoji3] Makes our 14 nights a bit paltry.

Unfortunately DH only get a limited amount of days holiday and so these long cruises are way out of our range. Maybe when he retires .....

I'm really pleased though that you're getting on with doing these things that you get a lot of pleasure from. And long may it continue.

With all this bad stuff happening over the past few weeks especially here in the U.K., go out and do what you enjoy doing and make lots of wonderful memories.

Happy cruising [emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're going from Santiago to Buenos Aires. Recommended cabins on Port side - even numbers. Not sure it would make any difference if you had an inside cabin but with a balcony this side appears the one to be on.

When I'd looked on the web site at cabins available on other dates but same itinerary, the cabins on the port side booked up much quicker than those on the starboard side.

Hope this helps.

All you lucky folks going on 45+ day cruises. Oh you lucky people. [emoji3] Makes our 14 nights a bit paltry.

Unfortunately DH only get a limited amount of days holiday and so these long cruises are way out of our range. Maybe when he retires .....

I'm really pleased though that you're getting on with doing these things that you get a lot of pleasure from. And long may it continue.

With all this bad stuff happening over the past few weeks especially here in the U.K., go out and do what you enjoy doing and make lots of wonderful memories.

Happy cruising [emoji568]

Your day will come for those long cruises!! We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last year with our very first 7 week cruise. Excited to do it again. We need to travel as much as we can while we are still able to do it!,

Cheers, Denise

We are booked and counting the days. We were not able to use our FCC's but did get the 3% fare discount which was more than the FCC perks. The deposit was also reduced to 5%. The $1,000 OBC and prepaid gratuities are a wonderful perk!!

What we are going to do with 4 FCC's are another story. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

They took our FCC but refunded it so we're down to just one each now ;)

You got prepaid gratuities as well? I guess that's related to where you are. USA? Don't suppose you're able to get the promo code for the free gratuities? It might help over here.

They took our FCC but refunded it so we're down to just one each now ;)

You got prepaid gratuities as well? I guess that's related to where you are. USA? Don't suppose you're able to get the promo code for the free gratuities? It might help over here.

Right now in the US if you book the 49 day cruise it includes free gratuities and $500 OBC/person. This is what automatically happens if you book it on the website too.

Right now in the US if you book the 49 day cruise it includes free gratuities and $500 OBC/person. This is what automatically happens if you book it on the website too.

That's correct. The perks are not included in the segments or cruietours either.

What we did need to request was the 3% fare deposit. I realize we need to pay the total amount in the end but that was quite a chunk to have tied up for many months.

Cheers, Denise

Thanks for the replies. It seems to be an extra bonus for those booking in the USA. They don't pass a lot of things on to us.:(

To be sure do a booking and just before the "options" page look on the right hand side of the page for a link that says "View Special Offers". That's where it showed up. I actually had no idea I was getting the OBC or the paid gratuities when I booked. They gave me the OBC but didn't mention the gratuities. Then I saw here on CC where people said they were included and was instructed to look for that link.

When I checked my personalizer I was quite pleased to see that the gratuities do indeed show as paid. Hopefully it will be the same for you and, like me, you just missed it and didn't realize the benefit was available. Of course the Australia bookings do normally work differently in regard to gratuities...

One thing you may want to consider is your ship will have lots of children on it as that time of year is school break for South America. The future cruise consultant told me that when I was booking ours. We opted for a later date to avoid all the kids!!