Celebrity not stopping at Labadee?

DaveEasternPenn

It's a shame they aren't stopping in Labadee anymore. We really enjoyed our beach day there last November. The weather wasn't great, but it was still a very relaxing and enjoyable spot. I can't imagine an Oasis class there though, as it was pretty crowded with Reflection there, and it carriers half the passengers. Maybe they'll bring it back in the future.

I'm surprised. Labadee was our favorite port on the Western itinerary. 2nd favorite was Grand Cayman, not so much for Falmouth and Cozumel. The beach at Columbus Cove was outstanding, the lunch prepared and served by the Celebrity staff was delicious, the shopping was interesting, and we took an excursion once to a sandbar in the bay that was totally relaxing. Very disappointed.

The difference between Labadee and other private islands is that when you go to Labadee the ship docks and there is no tendering .

I hate tenders.

We stopped at Labadee on our recent Oasis cruise in June. We asked several ship employees why Celebrity was no longer stopping there, as we had been there before twice with Celebrity. Their answer was scheduling issues because of the much larger RCL ships, especially the Oasis class. Way too crowded with the megaships plus the larger RCL and/or Celebrity ones on the same day. So it will be the RCL ships only now.

Labadee and the Dominican Republic are the two stops we will NEVER get off at. Maybe now the Jamaican authorities will fix the problem. Bravo to Celebrity and RC for taking a stand.

My mistake. I meant Kingston and Falmouth. But the reason that Labadee has been bypassed is the same, SAFETY. The recent elections in Haiti have brought about lots of instability, and unless the safety of guests can be assured, than no ships will go there. But Royal Caribbean is the largest income source for Haiti, so I'm sure it will be resolved.

Edited by ano

We stopped at Labadee on our recent Oasis cruise in June. We asked several ship employees why Celebrity was no longer stopping there, as we had been there before twice with Celebrity. Their answer was scheduling issues because of the much larger RCL ships, especially the Oasis class.

Its not "scheduling issues," its political unrest.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/haiti

And that little fence between "Labadee" and Haiti is not enough to keep cruisers safe.

I imagine it has to do more with scheduling 3 (almost 4) Oasis class ships that all stop in Labadee rather than Celebrity passenger feedback. They typically only dock 1 ship per day now. I wouldn't want to be there with 6,000 Oasis passengers and another 3,000 Celebrity guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was there on Anthem a while back with Navigator in port as well. Over 8000 passengers and didn't feel crowded at all.

IMO security concerns are overblown. Have been to Labadee quite a few times, including when some were out in boats protesting their presidential election. Never felt unsafe. Royal brings money and jobs to a very poor area. Expect local authorities would take any necessary steps to protect that.

That must be why Royal Caribbean still goes there.....:rolleyes:

hahaha!!!

In all seriousness though, Labadee is probably more popular than ever. Just check out the upcoming calls to the port:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-labadee-haiti.html

You'll notice that most of the days where there isn't a ship in port is your typical turnaround days (i.e. Saturdays and Sundays).

Given that itineraries of the Oasis-class ships compared to X's, it would be nearly impossible for Celebrity to visit Labadee without having an Oasis-class docked next to them; so I think it's purely a scheduling issue.

Also, if you actually look really closely, the Summit does visit Labadee (as part of some charters); take a look at Jan 29 and Apr 4 2017 - the Summit calls on Labadee. So if the X was so against going to Labadee, I doubt they would bring a ship full of charter patrons to the island.

Although I have not visited Labadee, the world can be divided into 2 classes - those who love beaches and those who hate them. I am in the 2nd group. I can take maybe 5 minutes of beach time and I then get bored out of my skull. In general.I book cruises with as little beach time as possible.

DON

I would never say I hate beaches; I love the idea of them, the look of them, the thought of them, but like you, I can't spend more than a few minutes sitting on a beach without getting bored. I can't swim, so going in the ocean or doing water sports is out of the question. Heck, I live in Florida and never go to the beach. I always think someday I will, and I never do.

This is one person's opinion and how rumors get started. The political unrest in Haiti is not in Labdee. It's a money maker for RC and they will keep it safe. I admit some of the people selling much of nothing on the island are a bit aggressive (same as other islands) but I never felt unsafe. I also don't remember reading or hearing about people jumping the fence and causing problems. If you know of a story please share.

Falmouth is in a different category as you are not a captive audience for the cruise line. As such, it doesn't generate the same revenue as a port stop in Labdee.